Keith Law 4.0 mock has O's picking

Gausman, with Fried emerging as a strong candidate

Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU

UPDATE: Max Fried has emerged as a strong possibility at this pick.

---

If Gausman goes No. 2, this pick is completely up in the air -- it could be Kyle Zimmer or Correa, but isn't likely to be Zunino. They had Marcus Stroman in for a pre-draft workout, but I strongly doubt they'll pull the trigger on him here.

I suspect any rumors or scuttlebutt or whatever being tossed around right now is nothing more than teams trying to squeeze players and their agents into pre-draft deals. The O's have a large incentive to make Gausman, or Correa, or even Zimmer think they're willing to go in another direction. I have read the O's interested in Gausman, Zimmer, Fried, Almora and Correa. Unless a pre-draft deal is actually leaked (like Hobgood was, and Appel/Zunino appear to be now), I take it all with a grain of salt at this late date.

Yeah, I suspect Fried is just this year's Archie Bradley for misdirection. Remember last year when everyone was up-in-arms because it leaked that we were supposedly leaning towards Bradley?

It also sounds like Fried isn't the most coachable player. After the Dylan Bundy changeup debauchery, I'm guessing the O's will stay away from situations like that with a 10 ft pole. Teams can handle one high maintenance star, but an entire rotation of them can lead to mutiny.

Yeah, I suspect Fried is just this year's Archie Bradley for misdirection. Remember last year when everyone was up-in-arms because it leaked that we were supposedly leaning towards Bradley?

Bradley, by the way, has proven hard to hit (.156 BAA) but pretty wild (5.3 BB/9).

Bradley, by the way, has proven hard to hit (.156 BAA) but pretty wild (5.3 BB/9).

Not saying he would have been a bad pick, and would love to match him with Dylan in Baltimore - just there was the huge frenzy stirred up out of nowhere on draft day, and it all ended up being a fake out.

It also sounds like Fried isn't the most coachable player. After the Dylan Bundy changeup debauchery, I'm guessing the O's will stay away from situations like that with a 10 ft pole. Teams can handle one high maintenance star, but an entire rotation of them can lead to mutiny.

I'm nitpicking, and tend to agree about big-headed players/prospects, however I think you would be hard pressed to find a coach who called Dylan Bundy "high maintenance." Now, Denver on the other hand...

Gausman, with Fried emerging as a strong candidate

Kevin Gausman, RHP, LSU

---

If Gausman goes No. 2, this pick is completely up in the air -- it could be Kyle Zimmer or Correa, but isn't likely to be Zunino. They had Marcus Stroman in for a pre-draft workout, but I strongly doubt they'll pull the trigger on him here.

Gausman has given some indication he is willing to sign for $2 MM less than slot which means he could go #1

Gausman has given some indication he is willing to sign for $2 MM less than slot which means he could go #1

Smart kid, but more than indication. Called and straight up offered it. Win-win, he gets $1m more, team gets $2m to spend later. Team leaked it to media as leverage for Appel.

Archived