Miguel Gonzalez Tonight

OFFNY

Is he a jerk about it like Bedard or is he just serious/awkward in front of a camera?

Well, I'm probably not the one to ask cause I never considered Bedard to be much of a jerk about it, just funny, but, that said, no, he's just incredibly stoic/taciturn and it seems to me he actually listens to Jim Hunter's questions because he always waits for him to speak and then pauses and responds with a specific answer--as opposed to just latching on to one word in Jim's question having/not having to do with the actual question and using that word to expand in an incredibly general and cliched way--(when some of those questions aren't even really questions but comments or bubbly, girlish praise) which usually happens to be 1-2 monosyllabic words at best. I also find it quite funny when you see him break a wry smile at one of Jim's comments--I'm not sure if it's a wry smile to the effect of: my god, this guy is a fool or man, this guy really likes the O's, it's kind of cute.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he a jerk about it like Bedard or is he just serious/awkward in front of a camera?

Very serious, uses few words, and lets the interviewer know that most of the questions are pointless or answer themselves. Refuses to be led into BS-palaver. Implies that pitching is so complex it might be best just to let him start focusing on the next start. On the verge of being uncooperative, I suppose, but he doesn't want to let the interviewer oversimplify or cheapen issues that he considers very deep and important, such as why he wore Adenhart's glove, how runs were scored off him, etc. Bedard just acted annoyed; Gonzalez acts as if the press shd do more introspection about what they're up to when sticking a mike in front of a player right after a game. He's more Zen than Chen.

Miguel Gonzalez's postgame interviews are my favorite since Erik Bedard (with Wei-Yin Chen's a close third).

Gonzalez is very direct and matter of fact, and you can see he has some pride in his work. I like his attitude.

Very serious, uses few words, and lets the interviewer know that most of the questions are pointless or answer themselves. Refuses to be led into BS-palaver. Implies that pitching is so complex it might be best just to let him start focusing on the next start. On the verge of being uncooperative, I suppose, but he doesn't want to let the interviewer oversimplify or cheapen issues that he considers very deep and important, such as why he wore Adenhart's glove, how runs were scored off him, etc. Bedard just acted annoyed; Gonzalez acts as if the press shd do some introspection about what they're up to when sticking a mike in front of a player right after a game. He's more Zen than Chen.

Yeah, you did a better job of explaining it than I did. Posters: please direct your attention to LA2's response to Dan-O's question.

Miguel Gonzalez's postgame interviews are my favorite since Erik Bedard (with Wei-Yin Chen's a close third).
Very serious, uses few words, and lets the interviewer know that most of the questions are pointless or answer themselves. Refuses to be led into BS-palaver. Implies that pitching is so complex it might be best just to let him start focusing on the next start. On the verge of being uncooperative, I suppose, but he doesn't want to let the interviewer oversimplify or cheapen issues that he considers very deep and important, such as why he wore Adenhart's glove, how runs were scored off him, etc. Bedard just acted annoyed; Gonzalez acts as if the press shd do more introspection about what they're up to when sticking a mike in front of a player right after a game. He's more Zen than Chen.

They are perfect in every way.

That Splitter/Change Gonzalez throws as an out pitch is just nasty and not fair. Still not too consistent it with it yet, but that pitch has a chance to be special.

The Rays announcers today would totally agree with you.

Impressive outing. Gonzo has great stuff. Where did we find him?

The Mexican League, as someone else mentioned, but signed by Fred The Shark Ferreira, the superscout that DD hired in the off-season, after watching Gonzalez throw nine pitches and strike three people out. Ferreira said that's all he needed to see.

The Mexican League, as someone else mentioned, but signed by Fred The Shark Ferreira, the superscout that DD hired in the off-season, after watching Gonzalez throw nine pitches and strike three people out. Ferreira said that's all he needed to see.

So it looks like, contrary to all the complaints people had about the "old geezers" Duquette was hiring as scouts, they still have it.

Archived