Mitchell Report Leaks Commence

FellsPointOsFan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But don't you see? The bulk of suspicion has been on hitters like McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Giambi, but pitchers have been primarily spared any scrutiny. If someone like Clemens is named, what other pitchers used steroids? And if they faced someone like Bonds, how did it impact the matchup?

People are so gung ho to jump all over Bonds, and want to put an asterisk on his career stats. But the reality is that he probably faced pitchers who were using steroids. How in the world can anyone reasonably say that Bonds should be dinged, even when it's likely that he hit against pitchers who likely cheated too?

Note my warning that my view is strange and indefensible. The game is currently tilted so far in the favor of hitters that I can't get angry about pitchers trying to level the playing field. I just can't. Bonds used steroids and hit 73 home runs. Pitchers use steroids and still can't keep their ERA's under 5.

Well from that list that was posted in the Orioles Talk forum, I guess the "C" on Varitek's uni stands for "cheater."

Well...if you're going to have a token Red Sox player on the list, might as well have El Capitan.

EDIT: Actually now that I look closely, there are a few former ones on the list.

Note my warning that my view is strange and indefensible. The game is currently tilted so far in the favor of hitters that I can't get angry about pitchers trying to level the playing field. I just can't. Bonds used steroids and hit 73 home runs. Pitchers use steroids and still can't keep their ERA's under 5.

Which to me says that environmental factors and rules that have nothing at all to do with steroids play a larger role in how many runs are scored than PEDs.

The combined effect of thin/hard/light bats, smaller ballparks, tiny foul territory, a strike zone the size of an 8x10 sheet of paper, legal weight training, eliminating brushback pitching, and about a dozen other things is far, far, far more influential in how the game has evolved than steroid abuse.

I would LOVE it if Girardi ended up on the list. Would MLB suspend a manager for actions as a player?

Doesn't it all depend on when the player was accused of using PEDs? In the case of Gibbons and Guillen, they used/bought steroids around 2005, clearly after MLB actually made it against the rules. I don't remember exactly when the league officially banned steroids (2003-2004 sometime?), but I don't see how anyone who used before that could get punished.

From the ESPN link...

"People can say Bud was just trying to cover his butt or take care of his legacy or whatever," Selig said, according to the Tribune. "I say [bleep] it. This needed to be done, and now we've done it. I'm just happy it will be out there and we can move on. I'm proud of it."

Yeah, that certainly is the style and demeanor I want out of the commissioner and spokesperson for all of baseball.

Ah, hell... I say [bleep] it. :rolleyes:

Doesn't it all depend on when the player was accused of using PEDs? In the case of Gibbons and Guillen, they used/bought steroids around 2005, clearly after MLB actually made it against the rules. I don't remember exactly when the league officially banned steroids (2003-2004 sometime?), but I don't see how anyone who used before that could get punished.

MLB formally banned steroids before the 2002 season. Previous to that, players could be tested if there was 'reasonable doubt' to test them. But it's unclear what that meant. For example, Manny Alexander was tested by MLB Security when the police found syringes in his glove compartment in 2000.

The policy that was passed in 2002 required the random, confidential tests, the results of which triggered a new policy after the 2003 season. Here's what the Chairman of WADA had to say about the policy that went into affect after the 2003 season:

"I think it's an insult to the fight against doping in sport, an insult to the intelligence of the American public and an insult to the game itself... I think it's a complete and utter joke. You can test positive for steroids five times, then they think of booting you out for a year? Give me a break. The first time someone has knowingly cheated and they give you counseling? It's a complete and utter joke."

Archived