The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

We could, but we would be giving up Arrieta/Matusz, Schoop etc. for one year of a slightly better upgrade than those guys.

Disagree. Good evidence that Headley would be a huge upgrade and is controllable. At this point, I would send Arrieta/Schoop/Avery to SD for Headley and worry about Machado later. We need Headley now. Betemit is bad over there and can't hit LH pitching at all.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The distance between San Diego and Baltimore is 2,273 miles. The distance between San Diego and Oakland is 491. Oakland plays at home on Monday and was also home last weekend. I think we're the primary focus.

There you go. Now they need to get something done.

Who in their right mine thought that the Yankees were actually in it any way? It is more surprising to me that we are in it. How long has it been since we have had the opportunity to be buyers and have these discussions. For that past decade, my favorite time of the year was the winter meetings because it was a chance for us to bring on someone that would improve this team and hopefully help us win some games. This year the trade deadline has brought that same excitement. Refreshing.

Reasons to not trade for Headley:

Jeff Keppinger .337 OBP Career

Maicer Izturis .337 OBP Career

Marco Scutero .337 OBP Career

Ryan Theriot .342 OBP Career

Eric Chavez .342 OBP Career

All are decent one year FA stop gaps. I think DD wants a SP like Vargas or Liriano, to add to his SP, but he doesn't want to give up Schoop or one of Matusz, Britton, Tillman, and Arrieta. He could probably do that, and also add Pierre for some RP and some lesser prospects. He can make do with Betemoit AT 3B for now and pick up one of these guys for next season. If Machado is ready sooner than later, he can move one them to 2B.

Scutero is already with SF as of this morning, to play 3B. Theriot is SF 2B. SF is gearing up for the playoffs and needs all of the offense they can get, they arent selling. So that is two off year list.

Disagree. Good evidence that Headley would be a huge upgrade and is controllable. At this point, I would send Arrieta/Schoop/Avery to SD for Headley and worry about Machado later. We need Headley now. Betemit is bad over there and can't hit LH pitching at all.
What evidence is that? Headley has a career OBP of .346 and has one more year of arbitration before FA, as far as I can tell. He might be a slight defensive upgrade over the stop gaps I mentioned, but all are pretty decent gloves, compared to what we have now. Is one year of .20 points more OPS and 3 more RS at 3B, worth the price of Arrieta, Schoop, and Avery?

What evidence is that? Headley has a career OBP of .346 and has one more year of arbitration before FA, as far as I can tell. He might be a slight defensive upgrade over the stop gaps I mentioned, but all are pretty decent gloves, compared to what we have now. Is one year of .20 points more OPS and 3 more RS at 3B, worth the price of Arrieta, Schoop, and Avery?

I'm just unable to find something in his offensive stats that excites me.

Scutero is already with SF as of this morning, to play 3B. Theriot is SF 2B. SF is gearing up for the playoffs and needs all of the offense they can get, they arent selling. So that is two off year list.
They are all FA next season. Why give up a boatload of talent for 2 months of a marginal upgrade over over 5 decent stop gaps for next year. The only point of getting Headley is the fact that he is controlled for another year.

Really....Slight ? Proof ? Headley is clearly been hurt pretty substantially by his home park.

He's a FA in 2015.

He's a FA in 2015.
He has had 2 years of arb. already. Is he a super two? I stand by my opinion regardless. Even if we control Headley for 2 years I would prefer a one year stop gap to the price of getting Headley. Machado should be ready by 2014.

He has had 2 years of arb. already. Is he a super two? I stand by my opinion regardless. Even if we control Headley for 2 years I would prefer a one year stop gap to the price of getting Headley. Machado should be ready by 2014.
Padres third baseman Chase Headley is in line for a substantial raise in 2011 after qualifying for salary arbitration after just two-plus years in the Majors as a result of earning Super Two status.

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101105&content_id=16009350&vkey=news_sd&c_id=sd

Sorry Gordo, missed your point. Thought you were saying that those players were better trade options. Though I still think that if we have Headley and MM is beating down the door, then we have a great trade piece in Headley at the deadline next year to fill a hole or put us over the top(hopeful thinking).

He's a FA in 2015.

Meaning, after the 2014 season. We'd have control for the rest of this year, plus two more years. The players El Gordo listed are free agents after this season. So, the difference is two years of control, not one as El Gordo thought. That's a pretty big deal IMO, and Headley has other things going for him beside his OBP. He's relatively young (28) and is a well above average defender.

Archived