The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

Obviously the price tag in terms of prospects/players is the ultimate factor in whether getting Headley is a good idea.

Putting that aside for second, I just have to say that I'm so sick and tired of Betemit ole-ing, misplaying balls and whatever else you want to call it at 3rd. Then he follows up his poor effort by standing there looking dumbfounded and let's JJ try to clean up the mess he just made.

Reynolds may suck but it's not for lack of effort. After watching Betemit kick the ball around at 3rd, I can't believe Buck continues to run him out there. It's not even about the errors per se, it's the complete lack of hustle and lackadasical showing after he screws up that really burns me up. I'd much rather see Reynolds get another crack at 3rd but I know that's not happening.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headley isn't the only Padre we have been linked to. Their is also Richard and weren't we linked Volquez to?

As far as Headley Im not all that impressed with is bat but it would be a step up from what we have to me it's his glove we need more than anything. More so than anything else I think it's important that if we are really going to try and make a run for it this year we have to sure up our defense at 3rd and Lf and get another SP guy like liriano or Colon. I think Headley, Span and Liriano should do the job but its going to be expensive it would just about empty out our top ten along with a couple members of the calvary except for MM and Bundy.If we can't get span I think id call up avery or hoes to bat ninth and play everyday LF.

Obviously the price tag in terms of prospects/players is the ultimate factor in whether getting Headley is a good idea.

Putting that aside for second, I just have to say that I'm so sick and tired of Betemit ole-ing, misplaying balls and whatever else you want to call it at 3rd. Then he follows up his poor effort by standing there looking dumbfounded and let's JJ try to clean up the mess he just made.

Reynolds may suck but it's not for lack of effort. After watching Betemit kick the ball around at 3rd, I can't believe Buck continues to run him out there. It's not even about the errors per se, it's the complete lack of hustle and lackadasical showing after he screws up that really burns me up. I'd much rather see Reynolds get another crack at 3rd but I know that's not happening.

Yeah, if only Betemit would run around in a circle and fist palm himself after a misplay, I'd feel a lot better about it.

If we don't get Headley now, we still have to get a 3B in the fall. Who do we trade for that will cost less and give us better production?What FA options are significantly better than Betemit? May as well get him now,IMO. If the O's are serious about improving the team, they are going to have to give up Schoop and one of Matusz, Britton, Tillman, and Arrieta.

If we don't get Headley now, we still have to get a 3B in the fall. Who do we trade for that will cost less and give us better production?What FA options are significantly better than Betemit? May as well get him now,IMO. If the O's are serious about improving the team, they are going to have to give up Schoop and one of Matusz, Britton, Tillman, and Arrieta.

I suspect you are right about the price.

Yeah, if only Betemit would run around in a circle and fist palm himself after a misplay, I'd feel a lot better about it.

Obviously you have missed those game in which the other poster(and I) have seen. Do you remember the movie Major League? Roger Dorn O'laying the ball. That is exactly what Betemit does, and then if he knocks it down 15 feet away he stands there and JJ Hardy runs over and gets the ball. Maybe he thought it went further in the outfield, but atleast turn around and look where it went.:cussing:

Obviously you have missed those game in which the other poster(and I) have seen. Do you remember the movie Major League? Roger Dorn O'laying the ball. That is exactly what Betemit does, and then if he knocks it down 15 feet away he stands there and JJ Hardy runs over and gets the ball. Maybe he thought it went further in the outfield, but atleast turn around and look were it went.

Maybe it's Betemit's job to cover third base.

Yes, because this is exactly what I was hoping he would do. :rolleyes:

When he let Jose Molina's slow roller get under his glove, then just stood there and made no effort to go after, that's unacceptable for a major leaguer.

Maybe it's Betemit's job to cover third base.

It is his job, then maybe he can go cover it, like the time he didnt a couple of weeks ago and you had JJ running over there trying to make a play after Betemit missed another ball and stood there looking into the outfield.

It is his job, then maybe he can go cover it, like the time he didnt a couple of weeks ago and you had JJ running over there trying to make a play after Betemit missed another ball and stood there looking into the outfield.

Wait. I thought the was lazy because he didn't turn around and look at balls that went into the OF.

And in the situation where you have a 3B knock a ball into foul territory and he is the closest, it isnt the SS that should be running over there getting it, it is the 3B job. The person to cover 3b would then be the pitcher or SS if the SS is able to get over there and replace the pitcher. I thought Buck was a fundamentals guy? Or is he tired of yelling at whoever is at 3B?

I really haven't seen a problem with Betemit's effort. He's just a lousy defensive 3B. And a very poor hitter vs. LHP. He is in a very bad role as an everyday 3B.

No, that's not enough Frobby. There has to be an implciation that he's lazy and doesn't show enough emotion after his effups, implying he doesn't really care.

Archived