The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

Perhaps I choose my words poorly and I should have gone with something like lack of awareness.

Semantics aside, Betemit has had several lapses. The couple already mentioned, the play in NY when he was slow getting back to the bag and allowed Dickey to get back to 3rd on a potential innning ending line drive-double play. Arrieta gave up the grand slam to the next hitter. He's also been slow to the 1st base bag on a couple of occasions and cost us outs.

Again, I probably should've worded it differently. Perhaps it's just watching 100 games worth of atrocious defense that's finally gotten the best of me.

I was at that Dickey game. And furious. Terrible play. He's certainly not very aware - the phrase "heads-up play by Betemit" isn't likely to be uttered by Palmer or Thorne this year - and he's not much of a fast-twitch guy. He's got the arm for 3B, limited range, and decent pop and patience from the left side. In other words, he could be a very effective platoon player or a fairly poor everyday player. Platoons require excess bodies, so, being the Orioles, we clearly use him as the latter.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't catching the ball isn't laziness, it relates to skill. Not too many people (inclduing me) are going to argue that Betemit is a skilled third baseman. There's a reason we've had 150 Chase Headley threads.

I never called Betemit lazy. I just think Betemit usually gets a little bit of a pass while Reynolds gets crucified at every mistake. That's all. And Im not saying you personally are doing it, just in general.

Olney:Two other teams to watch as the deadline approaches in the conversation about Chase Headley: the Baltimore Orioles and the Phillies. Headley would cost Philadelphia a good package of prospects, but he would give the Phillies an everyday third baseman under team control through 2014, and on a team loaded with enormous salaries, he'd be relative cheap, for something in the range of $6 million next year.

You could argue that the Orioles knew what they were getting when they inked Betemit this off season.

You could also argue they knew what they had in Reynolds. But instead of finding a quality fall back plan, they signed another DH to pose as a 3b.

The distance between San Diego and Baltimore is 2,273 miles. The distance between San Diego and Oakland is 491. Oakland plays at home on Monday and was also home last weekend. I think we're the primary focus.

I never called Betemit lazy. I just think Betemit usually gets a little bit of a pass while Reynolds gets crucified at every mistake. That's all. And Im not saying you personally are doing it, just in general.

There is some truth to this. They both stink at 3B. Reynolds is worse coming in on slow rollers than Betemit is. Slight defensive edge to Betemit, but neither is any good. Hence, trading for Headley would be a big upgrade.

It is what it is. Betemit is in a position he should have never been in because the brain trust went with Reynolds as the the third baseman in the offseason. Betemit should not be an eveyrday player at third base and he should not be hitting againt LHP. Reynolds was expected to be an everyday player at third base. Considering the respective track records, salaries and expectations I guess I don't mind giving Betemit "a lttle bit of a pass" over Reynolds.

It is what it is. Betemit is in a position he should have never been in because the brain trust went with Reynolds as the the third baseman in the offseason. Betemit should not be an eveyrday player at third base and he should not be hitting againt LHP. Reynolds was expected to be an everyday player at third base. Considering the respective track records, salaries and expectations I guess I don't mind giving Betemit "a lttle bit of a pass" over Reynolds.

Reynolds track record at 3b showed he was bad. The Orioles knew that. I blame them. Reynolds defense at 1b has been better than Betemits play at 3b. And 1b or DH is where Reynolds should have been expected to play after last season. We all as fans saw that, why didn't the Orioles braintrust?

In other news ...it looks like the Yankees are not going to get involved.

CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, though, writes that the price is too high for Headley, since the Yanks are looking more for a temporary fill-in who can platoon with Chavez and Nix. Heyman mentions Ty Wigginton as a possibility.

In other news ...it looks like the Yankees are not going to get involved.

Seems its down to us, the A's, and Phillies. I don't think philly has enough left on the farm to get him. And we could offer the comp pick. So that might be the extra edge we need.

Reasons to not trade for Headley:

Jeff Keppinger .337 OBP Career

Maicer Izturis .337 OBP Career

Marco Scutero .337 OBP Career

Ryan Theriot .342 OBP Career

Eric Chavez .342 OBP Career

All are decent one year FA stop gaps. I think DD wants a SP like Vargas or Liriano, to add to his SP, but he doesn't want to give up Schoop or one of Matusz, Britton, Tillman, and Arrieta. He could probably do that, and also add Pierre for some RP and some lesser prospects. He can make do with Betemoit AT 3B for now and pick up one of these guys for next season. If Machado is ready sooner than later, he can move one them to 2B.

Reasons to not trade for Headley:

Jeff Keppinger .337 OBP Career

Maicer Izturis .337 OBP Career

Marco Scutero .337 OBP Career

Ryan Theriot .3242 obp Career

Eric Chavez .342 OBP Career

All are decent one year FA stop gaps. I think DD wants a SP like Vargas or Liriano, to add to his SP, but he doesn't want to give up Schoop or one of Matusz, Britton, Tillman, and Arrieta. He could probably do that, and also add Pierre for some RP and some lesser prospects. He camn make do with Betemoit for now and pick up one of these guys for next season. If Machado is ready sooner than later, he can move one them to 2B.

Why can't we trade for Headley and if Machado is ready sooner then later, move Hardy to 2b?

Archived