The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

No, that's not enough Frobby. There has to be an implciation that he's lazy and doesn't show enough emotion after his effups, implying he doesn't really care.

Well, if others feel that way, I'm not going to fault them for stating their views. But personally, I haven't seen it.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait. I thought the was lazy because he didn't turn around and look at balls that went into the OF.

2 different situations, and why are you arguing over Betemit's play? Are you his brother and you are going to be sad to have a real 3B instead of Betemit?

I really haven't seen a problem with Betemit's effort. He's just a lousy defensive 3B. And a very poor hitter vs. LHP. He is in a very bad role as an everyday 3B.

Post #37 just mentioned it, but that play in Anaheim was ridiculous. Betemit dove for a ground ball in the hole, then proceeded to just lay there. In the meantime, the runner on that was on 1st, hit the 2nd base bag and made the turn. Hardy had to scramble to attempt to cover 3rd while Betemit laid on the ground.

It just smacks of poor baseball instincts. But as you said, he's way out of his element in the role he's in.

Well, if others feel that way, I'm not going to fault them for stating their views. But personally, I haven't seen it.

I'm pretty slow to question effort - including Betemit's. I remember the play, and I noted that it didn't look good at the time - but it was a one-off event, and I haven't seen it since. Players get caught like that - on infield grounders, balls they think are routine pops, etc. - and it's always a bad thing, but not often evidence of actual laziness. For the moment his frustration, or being #$*!ed at himself outweighed his game awareness. That's not hard, because his game-awareness isn't awesome, but it's not really a sign of a lack of effort or whathaveyou.

This has gotten off track, I am not going to argue the point of Betemit any more.

Headley is a very good answer to our troubles at 3B. There isnt a real good option in the FA market this offseason. So if we want to address it, let's do it now and not have a conversation about overpaying money this winter. Compete this season or not, this move still makes sense(for "the right price" but that is an arguement I will leave for someone else).

And in the situation where you have a 3B knock a ball into foul territory and he is the closest, it isnt the SS that should be running over there getting it, it is the 3B job. The person to cover 3b would then be the pitcher or SS if the SS is able to get over there and replace the pitcher. I thought Buck was a fundamentals guy? Or is he tired of yelling at whoever is at 3B?

What are we doing? Switching or making up a new hypothetical situations every time time I reply to a pervious one. There's a difference between fundamentals and guys being lousy. Betemit isn't good and he's not an everyday third baseman. I think everyone understands that. That said, he's better that what Reynolds was doing over there.

No, that's not enough Frobby. There has to be an implciation that he's lazy and doesn't show enough emotion after his effups, implying he doesn't really care.

What is your deal? Are you Betemit's agent or something?

Little things add up to big things. When a team's margin for error is razor thin, which our's obviously is, you simply have to execute the little things the best you can. Not covering a base, not hustling, allowing the opponent to take an extra base are things that we have to try to prevent whenever possible.

2 different situations, and why are you arguing over Betemit's play? Are you his brother and you are going to be sad to have a real 3B instead of Betemit?

No. Not my brother. I just choose not to make up incredibly dumb stuff about guys being lazy and how they shoud show more remorse after making misplays.

What is your deal? Are you Betemit's agent or something?

Little things add up to big things. When a team's margin for error is razor thin, which our's obviously is, you simply have to execute the little things the best you can. Not covering a base, not hustling, allowing the opponent to take an extra base are things that we have to try to prevent whenever possible.

I think I've made my deal pretty clear.

I don't really know how this became a Betemit thread. Are we suggesting that the Padres officials might be scouting Betemit?

If not, then let's get this thread back on topic. Thanks.

Agreed. But I think Headley replacing Betemit is a fairly important point.

What are we doing? Switching or making up a new hypothetical situations every time time I reply to a pervious one. There's a difference between fundamentals and guys being lousy. Betemit isn't good and hes not an everyday third baseman. I think everyone understands that. That said, hes better that what Reynolds was doing over there.

Betemit can't help but be better at 3b than Reynolds. But that shouldn't excuse Betemit from blame. It didn't excuse Reynolds. The play that stands out to me is the one against the Twins. First inning, Wieters threw a strike right on the bag to nail a runner trying to steal third. What's Betemit do? He can't even catch the ball.

I'm pretty slow to question effort - including Betemit's. I remember the play, and I noted that it didn't look good at the time - but it was a one-off event, and I haven't seen it since. Players get caught like that - on infield grounders, balls they think are routine pops, etc. - and it's always a bad thing, but not often evidence of actual laziness. For the moment his frustration, or being #$*!ed at himself outweighed his game awareness. That's not hard, because his game-awareness isn't awesome, but it's not really a sign of a lack of effort or whathaveyou.

Perhaps I choose my words poorly and I should have gone with something like lack of awareness.

Semantics aside, Betemit has had several lapses. The couple already mentioned, the play in NY when he was slow getting back to the bag and allowed Dickey to get back to 3rd on a potential innning ending line drive-double play. Arrieta gave up the grand slam to the next hitter. He's also been slow to the 1st base bag on a couple of occasions and cost us outs.

Again, I probably should've worded it differently. Perhaps it's just watching 100 games worth of atrocious defense that's finally gotten the best of me.

Betemit can't help but be better at 3b than Reynolds. But that shouldn't excuse Betemit from blame. It didn't excuse Reynolds. The play that stands out to me is the one against the Twins. First inning, Wieters threw a strike right on the bag to nail a runner trying to steal third. What's Betemit do? He can't even catch the ball.

Not catching the ball isn't laziness, it relates to skill. Not too many people (including me) are going to argue that Betemit is a skilled third baseman. There's a reason we've had 150 Chase Headley threads.

You could argue that the Orioles knew what they were getting when they inked Betemit this off season.

Archived