The Padres have sent three officials to watch the Orioles over the last two weeks

jrobb21613

I don't think that's the case sellers like young talent in return I could see a pkg of our top 20 guys hoes, m. Wright, and e. Rodriguez landing us headley and if they insist on schoop they will have to give us one of e. Volquez or c. Richard

Maybe they could also send Reynolds as essentally a throw in / dump ...Eating most of his salary.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the O's play of late, in lieu of a total lopsided trade in our favor, I wouldn't want to trade anyone of substance for Headley and/or Liriano.

I know anythings possible in a one-game playoff, but look at the Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Yankees - our team isn't even in the same universe as those teams to me. We have no ace that would be even in the same conversation as the aces on these teams and now the Angels have two of them. Tigers have Verlander. Etc. Etc. our hitters outside of Jones cant compare to the other teams. Our fielding is sub par.

But I think the team as is will land above .500 which is a major improvement and something I'm excited about finally seeing after all of these years.

I just don't want to turn that clock back to zero and start it all over again because we decided to chase a dream this year for the not-guaranteed scenario of a decent 3rd baseman and decent pitcher somehow gettin us into a one game playoff against a much better team while weakening our already weak farm system.

I think they need to make some moves just to finish over .500. The playoffs would just be a bonus.

Trades are the best way to get talent. Baltimore is way down the list of places that free agents would want to play. Finishing over .500 in DD's 1st year as GM may send a signal that Baltimore is serious about putting a winning team on the field.

Please get this deal done so we can stop talking about a 3B. One thing at a time as the clock continues to tick. Next we need a LF and one or two starters. We know who is available and who wants to dump salary. Just keep making the team better and the fans will continue to turn out and support the team.

I have no desire to give up a Britton in a trade for Headley. Out of all of our young pitchers I want him here the most. If San Diego is looking at the Orioles who on the MLB roster would they be looking at other than our starting pitchers. I don't think we get Headley.

After watching the O's play of late, in lieu of a total lopsided trade in our favor, I wouldn't want to trade anyone of substance for Headley and/or Liriano.

I know anythings possible in a one-game playoff, but look at the Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Yankees - our team isn't even in the same universe as those teams to me. We have no ace that would be even in the same conversation as the aces on these teams and now the Angels have two of them. Tigers have Verlander. Etc. Etc. our hitters outside of Jones cant compare to the other teams. Our fielding is sub par.

But I think the team as is will land above .500 which is a major improvement and something I'm excited about finally seeing after all of these years.

I just don't want to turn that clock back to zero and start it all over again because we decided to chase a dream this year for the not-guaranteed scenario of a decent 3rd baseman and decent pitcher somehow gettin us into a one game playoff against a much better team while weakening our already weak farm system.

That is why I wouldn't consider a trade unless the player added was going to fill a strategic need for several years, not just 2012.

We aren't getting Headley (who does make strategic sense) without giving up Schoop and some other young talent. Posters who are proposing alternatives to Schoop in the bottom half of the OH top 10, or flotsam and jetsam on the major league roster, are living in a fantasy land. So, if the Padres are willing to deal, the O's are going to be faced with a very tough decision. I'm not going to decide how I come out until there is either news of an actual trade, or a very specific rumor with some basis to believe that a deal involving certain players is imminent.

That is why I wouldn't consider a trade unless the player added was going to fill a strategic need for several years, not just 2012.

We aren't getting Headley (who does make strategic sense) without giving up Schoop and some other young talent. Posters who are proposing alternatives to Schoop in the bottom half of the OH top 10, or flotsam and jetsam on the major league roster, are living in a fantasy land. So, if the Padres are willing to deal, the O's are going to be faced with a very tough decision. I'm not going to decide how I come out until there is either news of an actual trade, or a very specific rumor with some basis to believe that a deal involving certain players is imminent.

Buck was never meant to be a "build it and they will come" manager. He was to be a now leader. Clock is ticking. I am sure there will be some kind of push to stay relevant this season.

We have JJ Hardy thru 2014 and Machado on the way. If it is going to cost a nice package to get him I would rather we use those resources for a first basemen or starting pitcher in the off-season. I can live with Betemit at third the rest of this year as long as it is resolved by next season. I wonder how far the Orioles feel Machado is away from the big leagues?

Buck was never meant to be a "build it and they will come" manager. He was to be a now leader. Clock is ticking. I am sure there will be some kind of push to stay relevant this season.[/quote

I could see a deak for Liriano, outside chance- but to me Headley isn't worth the big price tag. I like the fact that Buck wants to win now and as much as I would like to see us do something right now the off-season provides more chances to do that.

We have JJ Hardy thru 2014 and Machado on the way. If it is going to cost a nice package to get him I would rather we use those resources for a first basemen or starting pitcher in the off-season. I can live with Betemit at third the rest of this year as long as it is resolved by next season. I wonder how far the Orioles feel Machado is away from the big leagues?

I will give you my totally half-informed decision -- Machado would be a below average major league player in 2013. Probably OPS below .700 with a solid but not great glove. With another year (or most of a year) in the minors, he might be ready to be an average major league regular in 2014.

I will give you my totally half-informed decision -- Machado would be a below average major league player in 2013. Probably OPS below .700 with a solid but not great glove. With another year (or most of a year) in the minors, he might be ready to be an average major league regular in 2014.

If you had better offense at other postions then could you live with Manny next year after he stayed down long enough to get another year before FA. If we could afford to hit him 8th or 9th then it would be a much easier decision to bring him up.

I'm personally okay with Schoop going as long as he signs a extension beyond next season. I'd certainly rather trade Hoes as the main player if I could. It is rumored that many teams are interested in the stable (Matusz, Britton, Tillman, and Arrieta). So i'd imagine that they have some good value.

Im personally not world about opening up spots for guys that are not ready to be here. If and when Machado is ready management will find a way to make room for him. There are posters that are always worried about a logjam that never materializes.

Alright, I am really starting to warm to the idea of Headley and love that DD is on in this. That would be a really nice move for the longterm.

I trust DD won't do it if we have to overpay by a lot, but that would be a big hole filled and the guy has a great OBP over the last 2 years, another huge need on this team.

I would be ecstatic to get him, even if we have to overpay a little bit. Would be a great deadline move for this season and beyond, exactly the type of move I'd like to see us make.

Archived