vs. YANKEES 7/30

OFFNY

Seems like quite an overstatement to me. His record in close games and extra innings speaks for itself.

I think Buck has been a good strategist all year long until recently. I have questioned more decisions in the last couple weeks than the whole season before.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ichiro will change his swing in that park, he would be a fool not to. They say he puts on a show in BP hitting HR's anyway. Common sense said he was looking for something to jerk there.

It's always been shown he has really good power if he chooses to use it. Like you say, ESPECIALLY in NY.

I'm not going to Semanticopolis with you, but no pitcher is successful when they groove a fastball middle-middle. So unless you're saying that all pitchers "have very little margin for error," which is tautological, I don't see your point. Gonzo II certainly doesn't have marginal stuff that requires perfect command. He's gotten a ton of swing-and-misses all over the strike zone. That's what "this pitcher has very little margin for error" would mean in most situations. If that was what you were intimating, then I disagree, and if it wasn't, then I don't know what you're trying to say.

I'm perfectly fine with your disagreement. He looked solid tonight, but you're clearly more bull-ish on his stuff than I am. Good sequencing for the most part, with great use of the change and splitter at times. But his FB is just enough, and he really needs to command it for it to be effective.

That said, some guys get away with mistakes more than others. Gonzalez is not one of them. Doesn't mean he can't get swings-and-misses, it just means that when he doesn't locate perfectly, he gets hit. And when he gets tired, he stops locating perfectly. I haven't seen anything in his starts that tells me he's going to get away with many mistakes.

With MOST of the major league pitchers running on empty at about 105-110 pitches it really makes you respect the fact that in the 70's and before pitchers would AVERAGE 130 pitches per start.

Nolan Ryan once told me he averaged 175 pitches a game because of all the walks.Juan Marachal once threw over 230 pitches in an 11 innin game.

Of course, the hitters weren't as good back then. (joke, that is a joke!!).

Archived