One source is telling me it doesnt look like the Orioles will do anything now

Greg

Have you personally went out and scouted the players that were involved in this trade? If so, please enlighten us on your discoveries. They're C- talent because they don't play in an organization that you're familiar with. Good talk though. I love when people dismiss everyone's talent just because they know nothing about it, but what they read off the interwebs.:rolleyestf:

Someone a bit sensitive that their old boss is getting a little heat?

Martin is having a pretty good year in AA (mid-3s ERA and decent K-rate) after successive terrible years in the minors. He's okay. Probably destined for the pen, given the fact that his change hasn't developed, but a power arm with some swing-and-miss. Otherwise, they got a decent-but-not-special reliever. And Victorino would vastly improve our OF defense and probably stabilize LF.

I mean, if you believed we needed a corner OF, that seems like a decent swap.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stop apologizing for our mediocrity. It's 162 games in a year. We just beat the Yankees who are the #1 team in the league as of right now. Does that make us world beaters? No? That's what I thought. I'm just sick of us sitting aside letting the other teams make all the deals while I get stuck with middle aged stop gaps. Spare me, please. And I say that with the upmost respect.

I used to say this ALL the time. So did a guy named JTrea.

MSK

You cannot convince me that simply getting an upgrade in LF was something they did not have the chips to pull off without giving up something overly valuable. In fairness to DD he has some C and C- chips he could have gotten something for but its hard to do that when the owner is unwilling to pay anyone.

I won't argue there-it is hard to judge anyone with one of the worst owner in professional sports.

Just another newspaper columnists opinion. When I see a scouts take then I'll apologize, but until then I stand behind my word.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/07/30/scouting-the-swap-liriano-johnson-dealt/

Hernandez: BOR starter at best, more likely long-reliever.

Escobar: Utility infielder at best.

EDIT: LJ, I just don't see the sense in the Victorino deal. Forget the prospects, it's only worth picking up the remaining money on his deal if you're a legitimate contender, which we're not. Liriano--on the other hand--could've kept us relevant for extremely minimal price plus give us a look/inside edge to sign a good future piece (read: Liriano himself).

Stop apologizing for our mediocrity. It's 162 games in a year. We just beat the Yankees who are the #1 team in the league as of right now. Does that make us world beaters? No? That's what I thought. I'm just sick of us sitting aside letting the other teams make all the deals while I get stuck with middle aged stop gaps. Spare me, please. And I say that with the upmost respect.

What non-middle aged stop gap was legitimately available that would have improved this team?

He wasn't saying to go "all in".

That's the terminology he used.

I agree, this was the Orioles chance to show fans were all in. Im not saying trade Machado or Bundy but we could have made moves that would have put us in a better place to compete for the wildcard. I think DD is making a big mistake here.

Yeah, I obviously agree on Liriano. Victorino, though, I totally understand not acquiring. That money is best saved, Victorino is a very minor upgrade.

Eh. His 8% BB rate is not great-but-not-terrible. A bit of pop. Some speed. And he would be a vast improvement in LF. I'm okay not going after him, but I think he would probably help.

And I stand by the idea that he didn't cost that much.

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/07/30/scouting-the-swap-liriano-johnson-dealt/

Hernandez: BOR starter at best, more likely long-reliever.

Escobar: Utility infielder at best.

EDIT: LJ, I just don't see the sense in the Victorino deal. Forget the prospects, it's only worth picking up the remaining money on his deal if you're a legitimate contender, which we're not. Liriano--on the other hand--could've kept us relevant for extremely minimal price plus give us a look/inside edge to sign a good future piece (read: Liriano himself).

That's fair. You'll note that I haven't been championing a Victorino deal. But folks on here want to be a contender, so I don't think you're "not a contender" spiel is apt for the analysis of others. I happen to share it. I'm just saying, some folks got some helpful pieces. We didn't. My guess is that it's not all Angelos' fault that we came up empty.

I'm fine with the Orioles standing pat.

I don't believe we have enough MiL talent (outside of the 2 untouchables) to get something really of value. After that, you're going to start distracting from a major league roster that probably can't afford for that to happen. Truly, our best bet is to hope a Wieters, Reynolds or Betemit gets hot.

I'm also not ready to part with the big 3 for a team that's 5 games over .500.

Our best course of action is still to hope, in my opinion.

You think Blanton would be claimed off waivers? If not, then today's deadline means NOTHING! This ain't Cy Young we're talking about.

I know what you're saying.....and honestly I'm torn as to whether or not a move should have been made. I have a hard time believing we couldn't have gotten Blanton for cheap and he would help with innings. I mean he's better at this point than Jake, Matusz and Hunter. Has playoff and WS experience.

I get so annoyed when I see "well, we'll wait until the waiver deadline then something will happen"...it's the same as I ALWAYS see people saying near the trade deadline "well, so and so will be worth more in an off season trade"...then in the off season the same player is talked about saying "well, at the trade deadline he'll be worth more".

All falls under the "Just wait until next year. This time it will literally come true".

Someone a bit sensitive that their old boss is getting a little heat?

Martin is having a pretty good year in AA (mid-3s ERA and decent K-rate) after successive terrible years in the minors. He's okay. Probably destined for the pen, given the fact that his change hasn't developed, but a power arm with some swing-and-miss. Otherwise, they got a decent-but-not-special reliever. And Victorino would improve vastly improve our OF defense and probably stabilize LF.

I mean, if you believed we needed a corner OF, that seems like a decent swap.

Jim, I'm not all buddy buddy with my old boss. In fact, him and I have had a few heated discussions. I just respect the work he did. I don't have to like him to give him respect.

Lirano has been so so since his TJ surgery. Now it could of boiled down to the Twins liking the Sox's players they were offering better than the O's. Who knows, but my point being is people are real easy to toss around their opinions of players without watching them compete at all. That's the point I'm trying to make here. I've played with players that people have labeled "average" and "below average" and I can tell you those evaluations could be furthest from the truth. Until you see what guy's make up, tools and production you can't base anything off what an internet website says. I will believe a scouts take who has put the time and effort into evaluating someone then some guy who drives to the ball park one night and possibly catches him on a bad night and labels them average.

Archived