My 7 years Hiatus from Camden Yards is now over!

Roll Tide

I can appreciate a person who has steadfastly and adamantly boycotted Angelos for years. I can also respect a person who has supported the team with their attendance through the dark years. What I can't stand is an inbetweener who's been to a game or two over the past 5 years but doesn't really follow the team much because they haven't been relevant... until now...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. It's hard to believe that people with such strong voices here do not at least make a yearly pilgrimage to the park. And to justify it as a protest is absurd. The term fan comes from fanatic. Fanatics support their teams (frequently with irrationality) win or lose.

My protest was to not give him my money. You don't need to attend ball games to be a real fan.

I can appreciate a person who has steadfastly and adamantly boycotted Angelos for years. I can also respect a person who has supported the team with their attendance through the dark years. What I can't stand is an inbetweener who's been to a game or two over the past 5 years but doesn't really follow the team much because they haven't been relevant... until now...

I welcome all the bandwagoners. I was at the park all weekend. We definitely have bandwagoners now. I think some of them were Red Sox fans last season.

Anyone who has been active here since 2007 knows I am a avid Orioles fan. But I am as passionate about my dislike for the current ownership group and the Angelos family. The team can't be sold soon enough for my taste, despite being headed in the right direction I still don't agree with the way the approach free agents regardless of who the GM is.

Gotta love those fair-weather Baltimore sports fans. The only real fans are the 10-15K who have been going to games every year for the past 14 seasons.
Oh, please. Honestly, the whole "real fans" argument is one that makes me want to send out negative rep (though I don't since you're not really breaking any board rules). Who the heck are you to pass judgement on what makes or doesn't make a real fan? So when the Orioles are playing well, as they have been this year, should the "fair-weather Baltimore fans" stay home? We'll only allow the 10-15k "real fans" to go to the games, and then have people come on here and complain how the park isn't filled even when the team is doing well.

I don't care how anyone expresses their fandom, but I do think it is interesting that someone who has boycotted the team for seven years as a protest of ownership would decide to go to a game this year. Ownership hasn't changed. Really, nothing has changed this year except we've been more successful. So, what did happen to flip the light switch other than success?

Right, this is the point I was going to make.

Certainly people are free to do what they want. I understand the reasons for not wanting to go and don't question anyone's fandom for it.

But what has changed now, other than on-field success? The same man still owns the team. Payroll hasn't increased.

I don't care how anyone expresses their fandom, but I do think it is interesting that someone who has boycotted the team for seven years as a protest of ownership would decide to go to a game this year. Ownership hasn't changed. Really, nothing has changed this year except we've been more successful. So, what did happen to flip the light switch other than success?

I also find it really interesting to make a whole thread about the subject. I'm going to leave it there.

I am glad Johnny had a good time at the game. Wish I lived closer so I could go to many more of them.

Happy Birthday

I was at the game on Wednesday and saw Nasty Nestor there. As someone who has spent hours and hours blasting the team on his station I found it ironic that he was there. I was even about to call him out on it, but decided against it. I really can't hold a grudge against someone enjoying this season regardless of how much they have blasted the team. I have done my fair share of it myself. But throughout the losing I have always gone to a handful of games each year, even buying mini-plans and the like.

well, I havent lived closer than 3 hours to Baltimore since 1996, so it is kind of tough to make that drive with the expectation of driving back a loser. This happened to be my son's first game and I wanted him to at least go to the ballpark of the team that I root for.

Excuse me for bringing my son to a game. You must be a real joy in person.

Meahwhile I havent missed more than a few games per year on tv for the past several years.

I must be a reverse bandwagoner. I've been to well over 1,000 games, and have ordered Extra Innings for years since I live so far away now. So this year, with the O's in the playoff hunt I didn't order EI and I'm afraid to now so I don't jinx them.

Gotta love those fair-weather Baltimore sports fans. The only real fans are the 10-15K who have been going to games every year for the past 14 seasons.

Yes, you do have to love those 'fair-weather' fans. If it were only the 10-15K 'real' fans showing up these past 14 years I doubt the team would still be playing in Baltimore. Can you say Indianapolis Orioles?

I also find it really interesting to make a whole thread about the subject. I'm going to leave it there.

I am glad Johnny had a good time at the game. Wish I lived closer so I could go to many more of them.

Right, this is the point I was going to make.

Certainly people are free to do what they want. I understand the reasons for not wanting to go and don't question anyone's fandom for it.

But what has changed now, other than on-field success? The same man still owns the team. Payroll hasn't increased.

These two posts nail it for me.

I am an Orioles fan. I go to about 10 games a year, and watch 99% of the others on TV. I don't criticize those who don't go, and I don't bemoan anyone for their reasons for staying home. But when someone is as openly critical about Angelos and has stated the reason he doesn't go is because of Peter Angelos, I wonder why now, when we're winning for the first time in 14 years, that THIS would be the time to take in a ballgame?

As for Paul, I don't think anyone was critical of you at all, but maybe I missed what you were responding to?

These two posts nail it for me.

I am an Orioles fan. I go to about 10 games a year, and watch 99% of the others on TV. I don't criticize those who don't go, and I don't bemoan anyone for their reasons for staying home. But when someone is as openly critical about Angelos and has stated the reason he doesn't go is because of Peter Angelos, I wonder why now, when we're winning for the first time in 14 years, that THIS would be the time to take in a ballgame?

As for Paul, I don't think anyone was critical of you at all, but maybe I missed what you were responding to?

I just didnt appareciate the overall tone of "those that dont go to games more often" are fair weather fans and somewhat persona non grata to a particular poster

Archived