vs. Blue Jays 8/25

weams

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm still stunned the other teams in the East didn't claim Gonzalez to block that kind of trade. The entire AL did get a chance to claim him before the Dodgers did right?

Nobody wanted to risk getting stuck with the entire contract if the Sox decided to let him go. Only the Dodgers were willing to take that risk.

Maryland is a southern state and has always been considered a rural state. Thus the country boy thing.

Sided with the Union during the Civil War, though. Hence the Mason-Dixon line. Maryland history is interesting. We're a border state with elements of both the industrial North and the rural South. I don't think it's fair to call Maryland a "southern state" or a "rural state" overall without qualifying it: certain areas of Maryland are rural, but certain areas of Maryland remind one of New York or Massachusetts. I like to think we're the melting pot of melting pots. Certainly in the past there was more truth to the southern state mentality and the southern state economy, but either the North has grown further into the southern states, or Maryland's southern culture has shrunk. I live in northern Anne Arundel county and I definitely don't consider myself to be part of the southern culture in any way. I'm a city slicker. :P

Nobody wanted to risk getting stuck with the entire contract if the Sox decided to let him go. Only the Dodgers were willing to take that risk.

That doesn't make sense to me. Clearly AGon is a tradable asset, since the Red Sox just got the Dodgers to eat Crawford's contract in order to GET Agon and the Sox even got prospects back in the bargain. If the O's claimed him and got stuck with AGon down the stretch, you simply suffer with a gold glove, power hitting first baseman during the playoff run and pay him the 7M or so he's owed for the rest of the season and then you trade him in the off-season and unload his whole salary.

I know why we didn't claim Crawford or Becket, but not claiming AGon seems like poor strategy to me.

Reasonable point, but you have to assume that this year is a fluke. And if you assume that then his contract isn't that bad. Better than Fielder's.

I'm not really sure why the Dodgers agreed to take Crawford though.

Archived