Who is your Orioles MVP this year?

Moose Milligan

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest, it should be a combo of all our bullpen guys. Without them, there is no way we have the year we are having. But since that will never happen, you have to go with Jones

Exactly, if Time could name "the Computer" as "Man of the Year", then we should be able to name "the bullpen" as our MVP.

I simply think Jim Johnson is more easily replaced than Chen, and thus, voted for Chen.

There are at least 12 (of 30) ML closers I could replace JJ with that would have netted us the same results JJ has.

-Rodney

-Hanrahan

-Perez

-Soriano

-Chapman

-Motte

-Kimbrel

-Papelbon

-Clippard

-Nathan

-Jansen

-Betancourt

Plus a slew of setup guys I would have taken my chances with (IE - Strop).

So do we eliminate Chen from consideration if I can name 12 major league pitchers I think we could replace him with and do just as well?

Verlander, Weaver, Sale, Cueto,.....

By the way, I just put that out there to play devil's advocate. I am not sure who I would vote for, but I am not eliminating JJ from consideration.

Markakis. He doesn't have the eye catching numbers that someone like Jones has or the amount of saves that Johnson has but as I recall, we were slumping a little going into the All-Star break during the time Nick went down. The team has played much better since Nick came back and started leading off. I don't have the numbers but he's been amazing at lead off.

I love this topic cause the debate if anything it shows how much of a team effort this season has been. Just curious does anyone keep track of the MASN player of the game? I wonder who is leading in that department. Also my vote is Jones so many clutch hits that directly won games.

What a great discussion and given the last decade and a half what a fun discussion. Every point here is worth looking at and whether you pick the bull pen as a whole, JJ, or Chen or any of the regular everyday players it really has been an incredible team effort well beyond 25 guys.

For that reason, I find it odd that only three people here selected DD. We could statistically still finish anywhere from first to last in the AL East, but we have played according to every expert and most of our opinions too, well above our head all year. If we can close this out with something more to our liking than a winning season, which every single one of us would have taken in February, then the MVP almost has to be DD.

That said, I love that we have so many names in this discussion as we approach September and as we are completing our 71st win.

Awesome...just Awesome!!!

Adam Jones for me. He suits up every day and he's had a great year. Lots of game winning hits. I don't believe in giving this type of recognition to a pitcher. They don't play every game. I could understand if it was 2000 Pedro Martinez, but that's really an exception.

• 4 weeks later...
Simple question. No poll.

September is right around the corner, we're in a playoff hunt and this season has been so wacky, weird and awesome, I thought I'd ask.

Should be some good answers/debates in here.

Gotta go AJ. Hitting in the heart of the order, carrying the team offensively for long stretches, great attitude, great defense... total professional. Clubhouse leader. I almost said Wieters, because he's the glue that holds this thing together - including the rag-tag pitching staff and the bullpen. But Adam has outperformed on every level, IMO.

Archived