Who is your Orioles MVP this year?

Moose Milligan

Matt Wieters.

Best defensive catcher in mlb.

Limits the running game of the opposition.

Leads the team in RBIs.

But the biggest reason, far and away, is how he has handled this staff. Give him part of the credit for the super bullpen. Give him more for catching a rotation where we haven't been able to name our starter two days in advance since July.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam Jones. Just a great season from him. I know it should just be based on 2012 and 2012 alone, but look how he has progressed and improved! Still awesome in the field, much more patient at the plate. Not chasing bad pitches like he used to. Leads all of big leagues in terms of go ahead homers in extras. 19 of his 30 dingers have tied or given the O's the lead. All of this in a year where he got his big payday. He has played in every single game. Dude looks like he's playing for a new contract, not like he just got one. I love that about him. No disrespect to Chen or Johnson... But Jones is a pretty clear easy pick for me here.

This is very tough. For me there are 3 options. Big-Time Timmy Jim, Jonsey, and Weiters

Jim johnson has what 45-46 saves? Now imagine if kevin gregg was still the closer. Out of those 45 games how many of them would he have blown? 15 atleast. So right there without JJ we are out of the playoff hunt.

Adam Jones has been by far are most consistant hitter. He is our absolute anchor of our very shaky lineup. When everyone else was slumping he was still in the 4 hole hitinh away. He has been the most clutch hitter in baseball and has single handedly won us quite a few games with a swing of the bat. Without him we have atleast 20-30 less wins. IMO he is in the discussion for mvp of the league. That award has to go the Miguel Cabrera since hes going to win the damb teiple crown afterall. But i would say, Adam means more to the orioles than miguel means to the tigers or mike trout means to the angels. If that was what the mvp was really given out for then i think adam deserves it.

Matt Weiters is clearly the best signal caller in the game. The fact that pitchers have iver a run less era with him back there is incredible. But my vote still goes to jones because weiters is batting .240 afterall

Its not open and shut, but for me, the "shut" part of it is J.Johnson. He set the Orioles all-time save record tonight and though his numbers arent as garish as say, Rodney, he is certainly the best

closer the Orioles ever had. The Orioles had a great year from Adam Jones, Matt Wieters, and even a solid year from Hardy. Without Johnson the Orioles would not be where they are.Its that simple.

He's the Orioles MVP with 12 games to go.

I don't really agree with best ever or most valuable. There is no way to know if someone else could have done what he did or close. I'd vote Wieters with Jones a close second. Gregg Olson comes to mind btw amongst a few others.

It's great this question is so tough. I have to go with Weiters, but understand the arguments for AJ and JJ. He leads the team in RBI's, plays the position better than any player in the franchise's history, is responsible for much of the whole pitching staff's success, and, despite the physical toll of starting more games at catcher than anyone else in the league (I think), has the hottest bat on the team at a time every game is a "must win." Remember when a lot of people were speculating that we'd eventually make him a 1B? That seems almost unthinkable now.

It's more of a case against him - because he hasn't been available to the team (through no fault of his own). Imo, there's no question that Wieters is the O's MVP.

I made that post before Nick broke his thumb. He would have had a decent case for team MVP if he had continued to play well in September. Now he's clearly out of the running, especially since the team now has a winning record in the games he has missed. I'm really pleased that the team has played so much better without him in September than they did the first time he got hurt.

It's great this question is so tough. I have to go with Weiters, but understand the arguments for AJ and JJ. He leads the team in RBI's, plays the position better than any player in the franchise's history, is responsible for much of the whole pitching staff's success, and, despite the physical toll of starting more games at catcher than anyone else in the league (I think), has the hottest bat on the team at a time every game is a "must win." Remember when a lot of people were speculating that we'd eventually make him a 1B? That seems almost unthinkable now.

Dempsey was a lot closer then most people think. Even including his decline years he ended up with a 40% CS rate.

Edit- Baseball reference has him 70th all time in dWAR with 17.3.

Wieters, no question.

Now, if you just want to talk about the last two months, I'd say Machado. He's turned a major defensive hole into a major strength, and I think that boost has helped this squad across the board. Pitchers are much more confident when they know mistakes can turn into outs.

Dempsey was a lot closer then most people think. Even including his decline years he ended up with a 40% CS rate.

Edit- Baseball reference has him 70th all time in dWAR with 17.3.

Dempsey was terrific. I think league wide CS% were higher then than they are today, though.

Archived