Juan Pierre Rumor...

fish113d

Nobody is saying Juan Pierre is going to replace Nick Markakis, but he's about as close as the Orioles are going to get without giving up top prospects. And how is batting .306 for the entire season just "ok." How many people on the Orioles are batting at or near .300? How many people in the entire league are batting over .300?

You're missing the point. Whether .300 is better than "ok" is not relevant. The fact is he's not hitting .350 or .370 like Ichiro did in his prime. That's what Pierre has to do to be a good player. Hitting .300 with no power and not a lot of walks doesn't fly.

Just because not that many people are doing it doesn't automatically mean it's a good thing.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nobody is saying Juan Pierre is going to replace Nick Markakis, but he's about as close as the Orioles are going to get without giving up top prospects. And how is batting .306 for the entire season just "ok." How many people on the Orioles are batting at or near .300? How many people in the entire league are batting over .300?

Among players with 250+ PAs Pierre is 33rd in the league in batting average. But in a more comprehensive offensive metric like wOBA he's something like 130th.

Regardless of the fact that Pierre would be Markakis' de facto replacement in the line-up, adding a .346 OBP with speed to the top of this line-up can only improve this team. The only reason NOT to trade for Pierre would be if the Phillies wanted an actual prospect.

Obviously the Phillies aren't going to give him away, though. I'm very curious to see if this actually goes down.

Juan Pierre has 127 TB, 20 BB, and 34 SB in 385 PA. That's .470 (TB+BB+SB)/PA.

Nick Markakis has 198 TB, 42 BB, and 1 SB in 471 PA. That's .512 (TB+BB+SB)/PA.

Now add in the runs that Markakis knocks in because of 44 XBH's (compared to Pierre's 14), and it's pretty obvious that Nick is a far more productive hitter. Quite simply...not only does Markakis' power overshadow Pierre's speed by simple numbers, but when you take into account that a double is more valuable than a single/walk and a SB, it's clear that Pierre is nowhere near Markakis' equal.

Im noy saying pierre is equal. My point is that whwn you add xbh and sb, pierre has been in scoring position 49 times compated to nicks 45 in almost 100 less ABs

He is not in the lineup this evening.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_09_10_miamlb_phimlb_1&mode=gameday

Read into this what you will.

The Phillies are giving their fringe players playing time so they can figure out who to get rid of over the off-season. I wouldn't read too much into that, and I want the Orioles to get Pierre more than anyone.

How so? Pierre is a LF. Do you slide him to RF?

Nate McLouth has played some right-field in his career (73 games out of 690 total). That's only 10.4 % of the games he's played in the outfield for his career, but he did play there 3 games this year for the Pirates, and 12 games for the AAA-Tides. I would slide him over to right-field.

Lew Ford has similar numbers in the amount that of games that he has played in right-field, also (59 games out of 401, for a 14.7 % total.)

Archived