Fill in the blank: The last time the Orioles had a winning season, I was...

Goop

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was living in Fell's Point. It's a blur.

I was 25, drunk most of the time. Living life for the moment. Menial labor job. Now, 39, married, 2 sons (11,8) and half way through my career as a law enforcement officer. You know, after I settled down and stopped howling at the moon, baseball became a lot clearer to me. More of a grown mans game, a working mans game. My sons have only heard me talk about the O's winning, now my son ( Cal) is finally getting it...........

Made me think of this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oh8pzfm5QF8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was 12, and not really cognisant of what was going on in Major League Baseball. By that point, I had just about stopped playing baseball, hitting the wall of the Babe Ruth leagues. I was never very good to begin with, and I focused on soccer instead of playing both (of course, when everyone else had growth spurts and I stayed short, I was no longer chosen to play goalie and I stopped playing competitively). I probably didn't start really following all of baseball until my senior year of high school, 2001-2002. I stuck with the O's as the team I had liked when I was younger. My little league coach was an O's fan, and Cal was big at the time so everything was about playing the game like Cal. My dad was a football, hockey, and soccer fan, so I never had family influence over baseball (in which case I'd've been a Red Sox fan). Heck, even with football I was a Dolphins fan as a kid, because I liked animals, and dolphins are cool animals. Anyway, basically the entire time I've really followed baseball, the O's were bad. In 2004, everyone around me got Red Sox fever, which had the polarizing effect of making me stick with the O's more than ever. Had that not happened, I might have transitioned into a Red Sox fan eventually.

Awesome thread. I've been trying to put this season in perspective for my wife, and this really helps.

I was 18, senior in high school, and Jewish. I'm now 32, am married, have 2 kids (including a 5 day old son who is currently sporting a 3-2 lifetime oriole record) and am a born again Christian. In the meantime, I've graduated from college and worked at the white house for 7 years. Amazing how much has happened in all of our lives, all while the orioles stunk.

I was in middle school and I didn't know a thing about programming or computer science or Linux or IT Security. Now I'm out of college and well into the second year of my full-time job doing Web application security testing. Oh and I've got three years of internship experience under my belt (worked during college downtime). Not much else has changed, I didn't marry like everyone else.

I had a tabby cat back then. He passed on and now my Maine Coon cat is 10 years old already. Wow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I was 26, coming out of a disastrous on-again-off-again 4 year relationship, living on Shields Ave. in the Fan in Richmond. I had just started co-editing a book of academic essays that would get published in 2001 by the University of Michigan. I still entertained a vague idea of going on for my PhD, but that dream was fading fast. About 7 months later, I would meet my future wife.

Back then I couldn't have told you the difference between Burgundy and Boone's Farm. Now I co-own a wine bar in Pittsburgh, PA.

In 1997 I was just starting 7th grade in middle school, with really no clue what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I think I wanted to be a baseball announcer or work for NASA or something. (incidentally I went to school with Jimmy Hunter that year and met his Dad who you all know at MASN; that was cool)

Now, I'm 5 years removed from graduating college, have a steady job, bought a house this year, and am getting married in 12 days.

Wow, time has flown by.

Archived