Adam Dunn on the Block?

lofireve

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is not likely to stay in BAL past 2007, actually. A clause in his contract eliminates the team option for 2008 if he's traded.

He's not a real good fit for a team like the O's that's (IMO) more than one big bat away from serious contention in 2007.

Really? Where did you see that.

If true, i wouldn't touch him for anything more than Benson and a mid level prospect.

Really? Where did you see that.

If true, i wouldn't touch him for anything more than Benson and a mid level prospect.

It's right here:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060213&content_id=1310834&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

After making $4.6 million in 2005, Dunn will make $7.5 million in 2006 and $10.5 million in 2007. His club option for 2008 can be bought out for $500,000. The option year will be voided if Dunn is traded at some point during the next two seasons, but he still will receive the $500,000 buyout payment. The first two seasons of the contract avoid a third year of arbitration eligibility and defer his first exploration into the free agent market for an extra season

I'd give up something better for him provided he would sign an extension...

Cincinnati can't wait to get rid of Dunn. This guy is the reincarnation of Dave "Kong" Kingman. He is also the perfect example of the fact that you can't rely totally on OPS as the complete measure of a baseball player.

* He is not only a bad defensive LF, he is horrendous. Only Manny Ramirez is worse. If he stays in Cincinnati, they'll probably put him at 1B. In reality, his only position is DH.

* He strikes out at an eyepopping rate - .343 in 2006.

* His BABIP is an anemic .278 - 11th from the bottom of the NL among regulars at any position.

* BA/RISP is .222 - only two players in the NL are worse than him.

* His offensive stats peaked three years ago and are steadily dropping.

I wouldnt even sign him as a free agent, considering the salary he would command, let alone trade a promising pitcher for him.

Cincinnati can keep him.

SG, you like three way deals. Could you see a viable three way with Cinci in which the O's get Tex and the Rangers get Dunn?

I think we have a new record! That's got to be the fewest posts we've gotten into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Mark Teixeira before he's somehow brought into the conversation.

Seriously though... I'd take Dunn. Sure, odds are he's splitting soon enough... But hey, worst case scenario is he doesn't wanna re-sign and we send him packing at a future trade deadline. He could have some mammoth years in the AL East...

Wayne Krivsky, the Reds GM, is on record as saying, “I don’t like strikeouts. I’d give up home runs for (fewer) strikeouts.” :eek:

This seems like a monumentally foolish philosophy for a major-league GM to have. Am I wrong?

No, that philosophy is so foolish that I have to think it was taken out of context in someway or that Krivsky has a substance abuse issue during which he says things he doesn't really mean.

I think we have a new record! That's got to be the fewest posts we've gotten into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Mark Teixeira before he's somehow brought into the conversation.

The reason I brought this up is it sort of makes sense. Dunn wants to return to Texas and the O's want Tex back in Maryland. Cinci would get pitching from the Orioles who would turn around and trade Dunn and pitching to the Rangers for Tex provided that Dunn and Tex sign an extension. If you think about it Dunn should be cheaper than Tex in the long run and provides the power bat that the Rangers would lose by trading Tex. He has a better OBP and has more power than Tex. We'd give up pitching in the deal but probably wouldn't have to give up as much to get Dunn nor give up as much if we included Dunn in a Tex trade.

Cinci would get pitching from the Orioles who would turn around and trade Dunn and pitching to the Rangers for Tex provided that Dunn and Tex sign an extension.

I just don't think the Orioles have enough established pitching to be trading them. Both the O's starters and the bullpen had ERAs over 5.00. If Cabrera doesn't have a breakout season and Loewen and Penn don't show continued improvement it could be just as bad in 2007. All the hitting in the world won't help if the team ERA remains above 5.00.

Of course with better hitting there would be more entertaining losses which may be the point of getting some more. I remember 2 games where the Orioles gave up over 10 runs but the team made stirring comebacks only to lose by scores like 12-10.

Archived