Orioles must be aggresive this offseason

tim299

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This team was not as good as their record indicated this season. Do I have all the numbers to show how they could afford a 100 million dollar plus payroll? No. But, I am 100% sure this team can afford to do whatever they want to this offseason. I want to see a winning team in this town for years to come. I know with the current team, we basically got a 1989 Orioles style team that will be terrible next season. There are way to many question marks. I get so sick of hearing how teams are not in major markets and can't afford this or that. I don't believe it and won't believe it. I believe when one buys a baseball team they are looking to put out a winning product for the city and state the team represents. And I also believe if you can buy a team, you can afford hundred million dollar payrolls. Look at Detroit, they are there because they spent money. And they are far from being a big market team. Winning is about building from the inside and outside, filling the gaps to make a championship team. As with Orioles fans they say if it ain't broken don't fix it. Well, going by that motto this team will be sailing to 90 losses next season.

You aren't just advocating going a little above $100 million. You want them to almost DOUBLE the payroll from 2012.

The comments about Jones irked me.

Fair enough. I just think this team can afford to take on a little additional payroll. Maybe not to the extent, to make the moves he listed, but should be able to add. Unfortunately, theres not a lot out there worth spending on thi offseason.

The Orioles season was great, but this offseason they must prove to us that they are ready to commit to winning for years to come.

This team needs to sure up holes in the line up. I would love to see a line-up that was more like this next season...

1. Michael Bourn CF

2. Kyle Seager 2B

3. Josh Hamilton RF/DH

4. Adam Jones LF

5. Nick Markakis DH/RF

6. Chris Davis 1B

7. Matt Wieters C

8. Manny Machado 3B

9. J.J. Hardy SS

Pitching

1. Kyle Lohse

2. Jason Hammel

3. Wei-Yin Chen

4. Miguel Gonzales

5. Dylan Bundy

Long Relief -- O'Day

Set up-- Tommy Hunter

Closer Jim Johnson

There is plenty we can do to trade for Seager who would put up big numbers here and move him back to second base. Bourn would be worth every penny and be the CF we need and the lead-off hitter we have been waiting for. Josh Hamilton is a great fit for Baltimore and would also put up huge numbers here. Kyle Lohse would also be a great fit and be an innings eater. We need that bad. Tommy Hunter would be a great step up to the set-up role setting the table as a power pitcher follwed with the strong closing of Johnson.

These are the moves I would love to see the Orioles do. The line-up would be sick and they would compete well against what will no doubt be a much stronger AL East next season. While this season was a great one, with the line-up they had and the lack of a true number one pitcher, it cost them in the playoffs. Also, Buck has to be more willing to stick with a pitcher for longer in a game. Do I expect Angelos and CO. to spend this kind of money? NO!!! But I am only dreaming. If something like this happened it would be proff to the fans they were willing to put a winner on the field everyday.

Something similar happened in 1996 when Pat Gillick came on and signed Alomar, Myers, Surhoff and Wells. I wouldn't put it past King Peter to whip out the wallet again and give DD his own little spending spree. But there are two differences:

1. Dan Duquette is not Pat Gillick.

2. Peter Angelos is older and (assumedly) wiser.

I won't join other posters in saying you're crazy because I definitely consider this a possibility given Angelos's history. But I'm afraid I can't see this happening.

As for a critique of your moves, I've already said in other threads that I have no interest in Hamilton. I like the other moves though.

I really think this team would be better off going after a Bourn and Keppinger, rather than Hamilton.

1. Bourn LF/CF

2. Keppinger 2B

3. Markakis RF

4. Jones CF/LF

5. Wieters C

6. Reynolds 1B

7. Davis DH

8. Hardy SS

9. Machado 3B

Bench- Betemit, McLouth, Teagarden, Flaherty

Fair enough. I just think this team can afford to take on a little additional payroll. Maybe not to the extent, to make the moves he listed, but should be able to add. Unfortunately, theres not a lot out there worth spending on thi offseason.

I agree with all of that.

I think he was just having some fun with a "what if" type scenerio. What else is there to really talk about at this point? Why be rude with him?

And, the Orioles should be able to add to the budget.

A. Increased Attendence

B. Added playoff revenues

D. Increased sales in Merchandise

E. MASN ratings were way up

F. The new TV deal, that puts more money into everyones pocket.

They may not be able to spend 150 million, but they should be able to sustain a payroll in the 110-115 million dollar range.

Should they? You think those things you listed add up to $30-$35m in added payroll for next season? Keep in mind, we could be close to $100m payroll just by keeping the guys we have.

And look, I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I'm not the board police, I don't have to post in threads like this. Tim299 can learn on his own how far threads without backup information and bold proclamations about players work ethic will take him here.

Should they? You think those things you listed add up to $30-$35m in added payroll for next season? Keep in mind, we could be close to $100m payroll just by keeping the guys we have.

And look, I'm sorry if I came off as rude. I'm not the board police, I don't have to post in threads like this. Tim299 can learn on his own how far threads without backup information and bold proclamations about players work ethic will take him here.

Considering the O's had a payroll of 93.5 in 2007, I see no reason they couldn't sustain a 110-115 million dollar payroll. Besides, I thought I had read that MASN brought in around 27 million last year in revenue. I may be wrong.

Hamilton = Belle. Whoever wins that lottery will end up regretting more than enjoying.

Seagar looks like he will be a fine ball player. Wish we had him. Worth an inquirey but I have not seen any indication tha Sea is willing to deal. I fear we would have to oversprnd by too large a margin to make this trade.

Bourne I could live with as long a he and AJ are OK and can play together. A happy and leading from the front AJ without Bourne is worth more than an unhappy face-of-the-franchise and bad locker room chem with Borne

Lohse I am fine with though I would prefer Shields or Haren

I think the point against threads like this is that everything from Duquette's radio comments to the O's recent history in free agency indicates that the team will not spend big and will not significantly increase payroll via free agent signings. It is one to thing to have a hypothetical discussion on how much the Orioles might be able to afford to spend on payroll this offseason. It is thread after thread of off season scenarios that have no chance of happening that get tiresome. Obviously, the O's would be a better team if they added a 40+ HR player, a speedster with a .345 OBP, and a very good starting pitcher. So would every team. However, we KNOW the Orioles aren't going to do it which is why these threads are ultimately useless. I know there is not a lot to discuss at this time of the year, but it would be nice if we could at least discuss realistic scenarios on how to improve the team over the winter.

Considering the O's had a payroll of 93.5 in 2007, I see no reason they couldn't sustain a 110-115 million dollar payroll. Besides, I thought I had read that MASN brought in around 27 million last year in revenue. I may be wrong.

Revenue isn't income. Who's to say that the MASN money isn't already accounted for in the Jones and Markakis deals?

I'm not saying that a $110-115 million payroll is out of the question, but I don't think it's a guarantee that it's sustainable.

Archived