Orioles must be aggresive this offseason

tim299

I don't agree with everything the OP said (he seems to jump to conclusions without solid evidence), but I agree that we need to sign a 2B and LF. Everyone around here is used to being losers! Apparently the decade of thinking about how to rebuild the Orioles has made it difficult for many of your to adjust to being a winner. This team won 93 games, but if we don't make some upgrades we won't make the playoffs again next year. McClouth and Flaherty should not be starting if we're trying to become World Series contenders, which is the entire point. We've got a great bullpen, an awesome young pitching rotation, and a great lineup with two holes. Let's fill them and compete for a World Series next year!

Everyone is too high on McClouth because he was hot at the end of the year. Look at his batting averages the past few years:

2010: .190

2011: .228

2012: .248

He was good for a few years before that, but I'm not comfortable with a player who's batted around .220 the past 3 years being our starting LF. He'd be a great 4th OF.

I disagree about McLouth. He stated that he went to Norfolk & with the help of the staff found a mechanical flaw in his batting & fixed it. The proof is in the last few months. He didn't bat as well against LHP & the O's should have a healthy Reimold back for spring training. Have the two platoon & that should be a solid platoon & would ideally keep Reimold healthier as the righty half of the platoon & part time DH when Davis gets days off.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Mclouth turned out terrible next year I still think we could fill that hole by moving Chris Davis to right and Kakes to left.

I can't imagine Buck moving Markakis to left to put Chris Davis there. I would almost bet my first born that, in that situation, Davis would play left, Markakis right. In 2012 there was not a single instance where Markakis was in the lineup and Davis played right field.

I don't agree with everything the OP said (he seems to jump to conclusions without solid evidence), but I agree that we need to sign a 2B and LF. Everyone around here is used to being losers! Apparently the decade of thinking about how to rebuild the Orioles has made it difficult for many of your to adjust to being a winner. This team won 93 games, but if we don't make some upgrades we won't make the playoffs again next year. McClouth and Flaherty should not be starting if we're trying to become World Series contenders, which is the entire point. We've got a great bullpen, an awesome young pitching rotation, and a great lineup with two holes. Let's fill them and compete for a World Series next year!

Everyone is too high on McClouth because he was hot at the end of the year. Look at his batting averages the past few years:

2010: .190

2011: .228

2012: .248

He was good for a few years before that, but I'm not comfortable with a player who's batted around .220 the past 3 years being our starting LF. He'd be a great 4th OF.

Personally I think you are painting all of us with a VERY BIG BRUSH!

I would ask you refrain from such sweeping statements until you actually know ALL OF US.

Everyone around here is used to being losers! Apparently the decade of thinking about how to rebuild the Orioles has made it difficult for many of your to adjust to being a winner.

Yes, my main takeaway from 2012 was how uncomfortable it is to win baseball games. I'm certainly looking forward to settling back into a season where nothing matters and I just don't care. That's why I'm counting on resigning McLouth and him returning to his 2010 form.

Hey, someone is going to have to pick up the pieces when Kyle Lohse remembers he's Kyle Lohse.

Lohse has had some bad years, but in 3 of the last 5 seasons, hes won atleast 14, pitched close to 200 innings, and an ERA just over 3. Last 2 years, hes won 30 games, and averaged 199 innings. The O's dont have a starter that can make that claim. Not saying I want Lohse, but id take Lohse type production from the last two seasons.

Lohse has had some bad years, but in 3 of the last 5 seasons, hes won atleast 14, pitched close to 200 innings, and an ERA just over 3. Last 2 years, hes won 30 games, and averaged 199 innings. The O's dont have a starter that can make that claim. Not saying I want Lohse, but id take Lohse type production from the last two seasons.

Absolutely. I'd take his last 2 years. I just don't think he's bound to repeat them. He might have one decent year left in the tank but he's 34 yrs old, and lets not act like 2001-2007, 2009, & 2010 never happened.

Personally I think you are painting all of us with a VERY BIG BRUSH!

I would ask you refrain from such sweeping statements until you actually know ALL OF US.

I thought it was clear that I was describing the general sense I get on the board that the team should continue to penny pinch. I don't think literally every single person has kept the same outlook towards how to build the Orioles since we've become a winner.

i just think if we're going to contend we need to at least attempt to have a great player at every position. Inevitably a few of the players we thought would be great will disappoint us or get injured, leaving us with a couple of weak spots in our lineup. But if those holes are obvious they should be filled in the offseason. That way if and when a couple players underperform or get injured we only have two holes in the lineup instead of four.

I suppose a platoon of McLouth and Reimold could be decent. I actually think Reimold could be an excellent RF for us if he ever stays healthy.

Absolutely. I'd take his last 2 years. I just don't think he's bound to repeat them. He might have one decent year left in the tank but he's 34 yrs old, and lets not act like 2001-2007, 2009, & 2010 never happened.

Agreed. I really think Miguel Gonzalez can give us a few solid years like Lohse has done in St. Louis.

If Mclouth turned out terrible next year I still think we could fill that hole by moving Chris Davis to right and Kakes to left. I just feel another SP and 2nd baseman would make a bigger difference then adding another Ofer. I am one of the ppl high on Mclouth though. He seemed to of turned his career around imo and I think he really likes where he is with the O's and will only work to sustain his small sample size of success from last year.

Exactly. If they can re-sign McLouth for a fairly cheap deal, then at best he's what he was in August-October and at worst he's a very nice 4th OF and you have options like Davis, Hoes, Avery, Reimold, Pearce, etc. to fill in.

I thought it was clear that I was describing the general sense I get on the board that the team should continue to penny pinch. I don't think literally every single person has kept the same outlook towards how to build the Orioles since we've become a winner.

i just think if we're going to contend we need to at least attempt to have a great player at every position. Inevitably a few of the players we thought would be great will disappoint us or get injured, leaving us with a couple of weak spots in our lineup. But if those holes are obvious they should be filled in the offseason. That way if and when a couple players underperform or get injured we only have two holes in the lineup instead of four.

I suppose a platoon of McLouth and Reimold could be decent. I actually think Reimold could be an excellent RF for us if he ever stays healthy.

I honestly do not think that even 50% o the people on this board are looking for the O's to penny pinch. What most of us want is an increase in team spending that is implemented intelligently with the funds being spent wisely. Personally I feel that the most important contract this team can give this year is a multi year contract to Rick Peterson. I would also like to see the hitting equivalent of Rick signed. An increase in international signings and continued improvement in the Orioles system overall. If there is anything left over then look to sign a FA. Do I want them to just throw money at the flavor of the off season? No way. Before you sign the flavor of the off season make sure you sign and keep your own, like Matt W.

In the post-steroids era with aging curves returning to normal and teams controlling players for the first 6-7 years of their MLB career and the better players trading future earnings for security at the 4-6 year mark, free agency just isn't a way to build a team any more. By definition, players must be past their prime to be free agents. Targeting players before they breakout or coaches like Peterson that show a history of maximizing a player's potential is the best way to spend resources.

Archived