Orioles must be aggresive this offseason

tim299

The OP might have gone all Playstation on us with the roster management, but he has the right intentions. Os really should use their new found success to convince at least one nugget to sign their next contract here in Baltimore, which would go a long way towards increasing our odds of remaining a consistent contending team in the forseeable future.

Really would hate to stand pat this winter, see the 1-run & extra-inning magic dry up next year, then find ourselves right back in Free Agent Hell of the last 14 years where nobody wants anything to do with Baltimore. For once the Free Agents might actually consider Baltimore a good place to call home... lets not squander the opportunity.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this because I am excited about what this team can expand on. I don't understand all the posters here against spending money or getting certain players. I want this team to be stacked and set. and do you think the Yankees and red Sox are going to roll over for next season? We need to show that we are the most attractive team to come and play for. also this will show fans that theyvcan depend on the team to work on putting out a winning product and spending money on tickets and other stuff at the game is not just going in someone's pocket. as far as Adam Jones he is a great player but is notoriously lazy in the outfield. it made me sick when he botched that play while blowing a bubble. that is uncalled for. And as Orioles fans we deserve a winner for years to come after slights trash we had for the past 14 years or so.

If every team is getting an extra $50 million a year starting in 2014 from the new MLB tv deal which was already lucrative -- it would stand to reason that payroll could be raised $50 million without stepping backwards on the net for any team.

With caps on the draft and international the only place to increase spending significantly would be on free agents. So there will be some level of bloated contracts being signed.

For 2013 it's not in play -- but from 2014 on a $140 million or $150 million payroll should be feasible for many teams including us.

Do I think we will have that? No. Do I think the money will go towards buying Lou Angelos more suits and hair gel so he can look more and more like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho -- yes.

But I wouldn't be upset if we didn't go on a spending spree this offseason. This year seems like a year you'd regret signing a high ticket player.

I posted this because I am excited about what this team can expand on. I don't understand all the posters here against spending money or getting certain players. I want this team to be stacked and set. and do you think the Yankees and red Sox are going to roll over for next season? We need to show that we are the most attractive team to come and play for. also this will show fans that theyvcan depend on the team to work on putting out a winning product and spending money on tickets and other stuff at the game is not just going in someone's pocket. as far as Adam Jones he is a great player but is notoriously lazy in the outfield. it made me sick when he botched that play while blowing a bubble. that is uncalled for. And as Orioles fans we deserve a winner for years to come after slights trash we had for the past 14 years or so.

I hear ya. But a lot of people feel that spending money isnt the way to go. I'm not saying Jones is lazy, but he does seem to take mental breaks now and then in the OF. I feel he'd be better if used in LF.

If every team is getting an extra $50 million a year starting in 2014 from the new MLB tv deal which was already lucrative -- it would stand to reason that payroll could be raised $50 million without stepping backwards on the net for any team.

With caps on the draft and international the only place to increase spending significantly would be on free agents. So there will be some level of bloated contracts being signed.

For 2013 it's not in play -- but from 2014 on a $140 million or $150 million payroll should be feasible for many teams including us.

Do I think we will have that? No. Do I think the money will go towards buying Lou Angelos more suits and hair gel so he can look more and more like Patrick Bateman from American Psycho -- yes.

But I wouldn't be upset if we didn't go on a spending spree this offseason. This year seems like a year you'd regret signing a high ticket player.

Unfortunately, this hurts the O's. Teams who wanted to spend before, but couldn't, will now have the means to improve their teams. While the O's, stand pat, and hopes every draft pick develops into a stud.

I remember just how happy I was that the Orioles had acquired Kevin Brown. And then he went off and got that first 100 million dollar contract. I don't know. I sure am glad we are not saddled with some of the contracts out there. But I sure would like a game changer or two. This season was fun, I'd like to play meaningful games again next year.

I remember just how happy I was that the Orioles had acquired Kevin Brown. And then he went off and got that first 100 million dollar contract. I don't know. I sure am glad we are not saddled with some of the contracts out their. But I sure would like a game changer or two. This season was fun, I'd like to play meaningful games again next year.

Funny thing is, if you go to Kevin Brown's Baseball Reference page, it doesn't even mention the Orioles as a team he played for. Lists Rangers/Dodgers/Marlins/Padres/Yankees. I'd actually forgotten just how good Brown was in 1995 with the Orioles. 10-9 3.60 ERA only 48 walks in 172.1 IP. Looking back, just think what the 1997 starting rotation for the O's couldv'e been..

1. Mike Mussina 19-11 4.81

2. Kevin Brown 17-11 1.89

4. Scott Erickson 16-7 3.69

as far as Adam Jones he is a great player but is notoriously lazy in the outfield. it made me sick when he botched that play while blowing a bubble. that is uncalled for.

How is Jones notoriously lazy? Misjudging a fly ball isn't lazy. Calling someone notoriously lazy when they misplay one ball is being lazy. I've never seen a bubble get in the way of him catching a ball.

As far as the payroll goes you also have to consider any long term deals that our young players may sign. You have to sign Wieters at some point. What's your plan for Jim Johnson? How about Hammel and Chen? If we spend on three top free agents now what happens in a couple years? Even the Yankees have run into payroll issues. They've become old in a hurry. The Phillies got old in a hurry too. And both of those teams are in bigger markets. You can't just spend without any kind of plan.

I hit send before I was done..This couldv'e been the 1997 starting rotation. That rotation would have been 73-39. I know, theres no guarantee Brown puts that up in Baltimore, but that would have been a very good rotation.

1. Mike Mussina 15-8 3.20

2. Kevin Brown 16-8 2.69

3. Jimmy Key 16-10 3.43

5. Scott Kamieniecki 10-6 4.01

The Oriioles should be aggressive, sure. They should target guys they want early and aggressively pursue them, rather than letting the market set itself.

But Hamilton + Lohse + Bourn would likely add at least $40M in payroll, and trading for Seager would cost a valuable collection of assets.

If you're going to target a 2B in a trade, I think you target blocked solid prospects, or the guy blocking them. Some examples might be:

Phillips/Hamilton

Altuve/DeShields

Weeks/Gennett

I doubt they trade him, but I'd definitely see what the Reds wanted for Hamilton. Beyond that, I'd much rather the O's just sign Scutaro/Keppinger/Johnson/Kennedy/Sanchez in the short term and wait on Schoop.

Ok, but aren't the Red Sox the perfect example as to why you don't go out and purchase 3-4 high priced FA's in one offseason? Did you see what the Marlins did last offseason? Did you like what the Dodgers did at the deadline?

I think people are mistaking the general disregard of your proposal as an overall disdain to high dollar free agents. I don't think that's the case at all. There are absolutely players that come around that are worth investing in. See the Cardinals and Matt Holliday. There simply aren't any Matt Hollidays in this FA class. Elite players you can feel comfortable are going to at least reasonably produce to the value of their contracts. That's why I expect that the pieces we acquire will be much more supplemental types, and I'm okay with that.

I hit send before I was done..This couldv'e been the 1997 starting rotation. That rotation would have been 73-39. I know, theres no guarantee Brown puts that up in Baltimore, but that would have been a very good rotation.

1. Mike Mussina 15-8 3.20

2. Kevin Brown 16-8 2.69

3. Jimmy Key 16-10 3.43

5. Scott Kamieniecki 10-6 4.01

David Cone was also seriously considering Baltimore in the mid 90's....

Ok, but aren't the Red Sox the perfect example as to why you don't go out and purchase 3-4 high priced FA's in one offseason? Did you see what the Marlins did last offseason? Did you like what the Dodgers did at the deadline?

I think people are mistaking the general disregard of your proposal as an overall disdain to high dollar free agents. I don't think that's the case at all. There are absolutely players that come around that are worth investing in. See the Cardinals and Matt Holliday. There simply aren't any Matt Hollidays in this FA class. Elite players you can feel comfortable are going to at least reasonably produce to the value of their contracts. That's why I expect that the pieces we acquire will be much more supplemental types, and I'm okay with that.

Agreed. Look at the Tigers. Only signed One Big Free Agent in Fielder. That team is Built on its Own Talent and Trading. Cabrera, Fister, Schezer, Sanchez, Austin Jackson, Where all aquired Trades. They Got their Anchor in Verlander. And some smaller FA Contracts like Peralta...(2 Year 11.5 Mil)

Archived