Gold Glove announcement tonight...scouts perspective ( Update - All 3 Orioles win)

Annie

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite two-thirds of the Triple Crown category stats being team dependent? Runs and RBI's are about your teammates getting on base or batting you in. If you want to base MVP on that, it should be more MVP to a team. I can see why they're so close in MVP votes (from the internet, not official votes) but I think Trout is deserved as much as Cabrera is. Sorry to derail the thread.

Not to derail your derailment, but runs scored are not part of the triple crown. It's BA, HR, RBI.

Trout had an amazing season and was great defensively. Would it surprise me if Jeter ended up with the gold glove? Nope, because that is how it works in sports. The best player don't always get the award. My favorite argument was that Mike Trout is just as deserving of the MVP as Miguel Cabrera. The man won the first triple crown since 1967 and led the team to the playoffs. He is the unamious MVP. There is no argument there.

Agreed 100% Cabrera should win MVP.

Trout had an amazing season and was great defensively. Would it surprise me if Jeter ended up with the gold glove? Nope, because that is how it works in sports. The best player don't always get the award. My favorite argument was that Mike Trout is just as deserving of the MVP as Miguel Cabrera. The man won the first triple crown since 1967 and led the team to an inferior regular season record then Trout's team. He is the unamious MVP. There is no argument there.

FTFY.

Trout's offense was within shouting distance of Cabrera's. Cabrera's baserunning and defense were not in the same zip code as Trout's.

Andrus will win probably. Reminds me of Aybar and that's who beat out Hardy last year.

Hardy has a better case for the GG than he had last year, because he was healthy all season and started 158 games, leading all shortstops in many defensive categories. As a comparison:

Hardy 158 starts, 244 PO, 529 Asst., 6 errors, 113 DPs, .992 Fldg %

Andrus 150 starts, 233 PO, 414 Asst., 16 errors, 91 DPs, .976 Fldg %

Ryan 134 starts, 196 PO, 396 Asst., 9 errors, 104 DPs, .985 Fldg %

Hardy's got a strong case this year. Ryan has a better UZR/150 but I don't know that managers give that much credence.

With those stats he's getting robbed if he doesn't win.

Ehh, all the advanced metrics show Ryan to be the superior fielder. Watching Ryan play just reinforces what the the stats say imo. Like to see Hardy get it, but Ryan will likley be the one getting robbed.

Well, as far as I understand it, coaches and managers decide the GG now and not "scouts". That's certainly better than sports writers. While I also understand that most scouts are ex-ball players, I do think there's a huge difference in approach/philosophy with a more systematic approach you'd get from a professional scout than the more anecdotal input you'll get from managers and coaches. Quite frankly, I don't recall too many scouting reports that think/thought much of Adam Jones and he's already won one gold glove and has been nominated again this year for another one. The fact he was even nominated is pretty much a joke imo.

well yes, scouts don't vote on GG....it was just to offer some perspective and a bit of compare and contrast.

Jones winning...no way. Wieters and Hardy should IMO....but....it's not always about the best all around player. we'll see.

Ehh, all the advanced metrics show Ryan to be the superior fielder. Watching Ryan play just reinforces what the the stats say imo. Like to see Hardy get it, but Ryan will likley be the one getting robbed.

They both have good arguments. I'm rooting for Hardy, and will feel he is deserving if he wins, but I won't feel he was ripped off if Ryan wins, either. I'd be more miffed if Andrus won.

well yes, scouts don't vote on GG....it was just to offer some perspective and a bit of compare and contrast.

Jones winning...no way. Wieters and Hardy should IMO....but....it's not always about the best all around player. we'll see.

It actually shouldn't be all around player. It should be about defense only. So often offense (and popularity...) count into it.

Archived