Gold Glove announcement tonight...scouts perspective ( Update - All 3 Orioles win)

Annie

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with Hardy is that he doesn't make the flashy plays that end up all over, and just doesn't seem to carry as much reputation around with him. It's like what I read in one of the articles, a lot of people (scouts were particularly mentioned) either were not aware or just didn't care that defensively, Hardy was solid. Least amount of errors, too.

I know it's just an award and there are many who question the validity of it.. but man if I don't just get really proud when one from my team wins it. They are flashy awards but I wouldn't mind adding to the Orioles collection of them.

The thing with Hardy is that he doesn't make the flashy plays that end up all over, and just doesn't seem to carry as much reputation around with him. It's like what I read in one of the articles, a lot of people (scouts were particularly mentioned) either were not aware or just didn't care that defensively, Hardy was solid. Least amount of errors, too.

I know it's just an award and there are many who question the validity of it.. but man if I don't just get really proud when one from my team wins it. They are flashy awards but I wouldn't mind adding to the Orioles collection of them.

The kicker for me is that it means something to the players. JJ deserves league-wide recognition for his outstanding defense, and I want him to get it. I can't dig it up, but I definitely remember seeing a quote from him on how he was disappointed that he didn't win it last year.

The kicker for me is that it means something to the players. JJ deserves league-wide recognition for his outstanding defense, and I want him to get it. I can't dig it up, but I definitely remember seeing a quote from him on how he was disappointed that he didn't win it last year.

I believe it. I mean, who wouldn't want to be nationally recognized? He's earned it.

Well, as far as I understand it, coaches and managers decide the GG now and not "scouts". That's certainly better than sports writers. While I also understand that most scouts are ex-ball players, I do think there's a huge difference in approach/philosophy with a more systematic approach you'd get from a professional scout than the more anecdotal input you'll get from managers and coaches. Quite frankly, I don't recall too many scouting reports that think/thought much of Adam Jones and he's already won one gold glove and has been nominated again this year for another one. The fact he was even nominated is pretty much a joke imo.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jeter won it and Wieters didn't win catcher. How the hell did jones get on there?

He is getting the Gold Glove for blowing the biggest bubbles in CF. ---- Hardy and Wieters should win. There is no reason they shouldn't since they were the best at their posistions defensively.

He is getting the Gold Glove for blowing the biggest bubbles in CF. ---- Hardy and Wieters should win. There is no reason they shouldn't since they were the best at their posistions defensively.

Jeter had a good season @ 38. I could see this being a factor. Wieters played good D but his offense may hold him back. I don't see enough Trout but don't you think some may be in bed with his offense? Thats mostly why he makes the highlght reel.

Jeter had a good season @ 38. I could see this being a factor. Wieters played good D but his offense may hold him back. I don't see enough Trout but don't you think some may be in bed with his offense? Thats mostly why he makes the highlght reel.

Trout had an amazing season and was great defensively. Would it surprise me if Jeter ended up with the gold glove? Nope, because that is how it works in sports. The best player don't always get the award. My favorite argument was that Mike Trout is just as deserving of the MVP as Miguel Cabrera. The man won the first triple crown since 1967 and led the team to the playoffs. He is the unamious MVP. There is no argument there.

Trout had an amazing season and was great defensively. Would it surprise me if Jeter ended up with the gold glove? Nope, because that is how it works in sports. The best player don't always get the award. My favorite argument was that Mike Trout is just as deserving of the MVP as Miguel Cabrera. The man won the first triple crown since 1967 and led the team to the playoffs. He is the unamious MVP. There is no argument there.

Trout should be MVP. He was a better all-around baseball player. The award is for the best baseball player, not the best hitter.

Also, Jeter was the worst defensive SS in the league by a very wide margin. No chance he wins.

It's Hardy vs Ryan for SS. Nobody in the AL really challenged Wieters this year. All the other great backstops are in the NL.

My favorite argument was that Mike Trout is just as deserving of the MVP as Miguel Cabrera. The man won the first triple crown since 1967 and led the team to the playoffs. He is the unamious MVP. There is no argument there.

So Trout's defensive value and speed as compared to Cabrera's defensive shortcomings and slowness don't matter at all? (not to mention Trout had a better oWAR than Cabrera). You do understand that past Triple Crown winners did not win the MVP right? Anyways I think Trout's late season slump and the Angels not making the playoffs will seal the MVP for Cabrera.

Despite two-thirds of the Triple Crown category stats being team dependent? Runs and RBI's are about your teammates getting on base or batting you in. If you want to base MVP on that, it should be more MVP to a team. I can see why they're so close in MVP votes (from the internet, not official votes) but I think Trout is deserved as much as Cabrera is. Sorry to derail the thread. If Wieters doesnt win GG again it'll be a crime.

Archived