Gold Glove announcement tonight...scouts perspective ( Update - All 3 Orioles win)

Annie

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm very happy that Hardy is being recognized for his defense. He is one fine shortstop.

And congrats to Jones and Wieters. I'm unsure why Jones gets it, but Wieters definitely is the best in the AL.

The only plausible explanation to Jones winning is that coaches and managers put more emphasis on Jones playing all 162 games in center. Anyone with a television knows that Trout was the better defender.

apparently, Jones was the "most consistent" on the field. :scratchchinhmm: I'm going to chalk that up to maybe the managers and coaches saw more of him than we did. I can see that as being valuable to them (managers & coaches). may not make a huge amount of highlight reels (alhtough, jones had his fair amount)...but overall consistency is important.

whatevs. I'm thrilled for all three of them. Our (their) 3 gold gloves makes it the most of one team in the Majors.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-jj-hardy-adam-jones-and-matt-wieters-win-gold-glove-awards-20121030,0,6078922.story

The only plausible explanation to Jones winning is that coaches and managers put more emphasis on Jones playing all 162 games in center. Anyone with a television knows that Trout was the better defender.

Personally...I think it's impossible to judge outfield defense unless you're at the ballpark, though I still don't believe Jones is the best in the league. He just doesn't get great reads or jumps, though he has improved in that regard over the past couple of years.

I know Jones has his flaws, but I really feel like a lot of people in Baltimore (and this site) really like to crap on him. He's personally my favorite Oriole because I like that he wears his heart on his sleeve, he chose to basically finish his career here, he loves his fans and oh yeah he's a pretty damn good player too. What more do you guys want? He had a crappy end of the season/postseason but he was a rock for 150 games. I just don't get it. And I'll concede maybe he's not "the best" CF in the league but some of you guys are making him out to be a defensive liability. Geez.

I don't want to sound like an Adam Jones hater, because generally I'm not, but no way should he have won that award over Trout. Put aside any still raw emotions from Game 3 against the Yankees, the numbers, and yes my own eyes, say he was not that great this season.

That said, this is the Gold Gloves, and they have never been without controversy, or getting things completely right. No doubt that some Orioles have been given awards in the past even when they probably didn't deserve them, and no doubt that will continue in the future. Congratulations to all three guys, especially JJ Hardy, who absolutely, truly deserved to win the award at short, and in a season where his offense was disappointing to many, myself included, his defense was a joy to watch every night, and we'd have been a far worse team without him manning short.

I know Jones has his flaws, but I really feel like a lot of people in Baltimore (and this site) really like to crap on him. He's personally my favorite Oriole because I like that he wears his heart on his sleeve, he chose to basically finish his career here, he loves his fans and oh yeah he's a pretty damn good player too. What more do you guys want? He had a crappy end of the season/postseason but he was a rock for 150 games. I just don't get it. And I'll concede maybe he's not "the best" CF in the league but some of you guys are making him out to be a defensive liability. Geez.

I felt he was very good in center this year...just not Trout good. Like you, I also don't understand some of the Jones hate around here. Some people are clearly projecting prejudices onto him.

surprise surprise Keith Law doesnt believe any orioles deserved it...

@keithlaw: AL Gold Glove winner at short: Hardy. I would have had him second behind Ryan, but Hardy is very good, and Ryan didn't hit enough to win.

@keithlaw: Gold Gloves at Catcher: Matt Wieters and Yadier Molina. Molina is obvious. Salvador Perez would have been my AL choice.

@keithlaw: AL Gold Glove OFs: Reddick , Jones, & Gordon. Jones was below average in UZR/dRS. Trout's absence is glaring. Also Jennings > Gordon for me.

Archived