Gold Glove announcement tonight...scouts perspective ( Update - All 3 Orioles win)

Annie

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, I love AJ, but unless they are now making 'gold gloves' out of brass, that's absurd. He's good (My actual impression is 'decent', but I didn't want anyone up in arms), but not great, and that miss in the playoffs illustrated that as well as anything else. Yeah, I know, they aren't counting that miss, it's the body of work, blah, blah. It's just that that miss is an illustration of what the body of work was like during the season. He isn't the best, likely not even top 5 defensively.

Anyway, whatever, I'm still happy for him, joke or not.

Like I said in the other thread, if a Jones wins there should be an investigation. No way he's a better defender than Trout. Vaguely reminiscent of Jeter winning previously.

Why? Gold Glove voting has never been based on quantitative measurement and they've never claimed it to be.

I doubt Jones deserved to win, but even the very best make mistakes.

Jones has speed but you see balls go over his head a lot that he could catch. The thing about Adam I don't like the most is he tries to be a ball hog. I think back to the last homestand against Boston, Davis dropped an easy fly because Jones creeped into RF and ultimately got in his way. Hes talented but sometimes I think his brain is in a different place.

I mean I agree with many that said Trout should have won this, but FWIW they showed that Jones was the leader in outfield putouts. Wish MLB network was doing this announcement instead, can't stand listening to Kruk.

Jones led in putouts because he played every game of the season. But it's supposed to be an award for defensive excellence, not a participation award.

I mean I agree with many that said Trout should have won this, but FWIW they showed that Jones was the leader in outfield putouts. Wish MLB network was doing this announcement instead, can't stand listening to Kruk.

That could be deemed an overrated stat though. Can you really control where batters hit it? No. What if a lot of those were "routine" type putouts? Its not his fault they were but adding it into the equation should be a minimal impact. There vshould be points for diving, leaping, running balls down and warning track catches. Robbing homeruns should be worth the most points.

Archived