Reasons why Bonds should be our DH next year

DiggetyDon

1. Obviously the home run chase puts some more fans in the seats, Orioles get a little more press. I for one would like to see a record like that being broken in Camden Yards.

2. Not having to play the field is going to make him that much more dangerous, less wear and tear on his knees, could have a monster season in the AL.

3. This is the most important one. Steroids or not Barry Bonds is one of the most adept hitters in all of history at strike zone judgement, pitch selection and overall getting on base. After someone posted OPS numbers for our entire team I say Barry's approach rubbing off on anyone would be a good thing. If you were Jay Gibbons or anyone else and Barry has the locker next to you, how could you NOT try to get some hints and tips to make yourself better?

He isnt going to be too expensive, you get a guaranteed .400+ obp not to mention he will get more RBI opportunities batting behind Tejada. Low risk high reward move, just like Frank Thomas last year.

Flame away.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. This is the most important one. Steroids or not Barry Bonds is one of the most adept hitters in all of history at strike zone judgement, pitch selection and overall getting on base. After someone posted OPS numbers for our entire team I say Barry's approach rubbing off on anyone would be a good thing. If you were Jay Gibbons or anyone else and Barry has the locker next to you, how could you NOT try to get some hints and tips to make yourself better?

I can see it now - "So Barry, where do you get your HGH these days?" :rolleyes:

1. Obviously the home run chase puts some more fans in the seats, Orioles get a little more press. I for one would like to see a record like that being broken in Camden Yards.

2. Not having to play the field is going to make him that much more dangerous, less wear and tear on his knees, could have a monster season in the AL.

He isnt going to be too expensive, you get a guaranteed .400+ obp not to mention he will get more RBI opportunities batting behind Tejada. Low risk high reward move, just like Frank Thomas last year.

Flame away.

The people that flame you for this will justify it by saying they don't like Bonds' attitude. Plain and simple, he makes our lineup better. I'd rather see the team improve with a guy like Bonds than have them wallow around the .500 level (or lower) without him.

P.S. If Bonds comes here and does .300/35/110/.850+ the people here that were so sure they'd stop rooting for the team would come slowly crawling back.

1. I might be the exception but I couldn't care less about where the record is broken. BTW, how do you know it would be broken at OPACY for sure?

2. Hints on getting better? This is laughable. He doesn't have to give hints, just the number of his new supplier.

3. Not too expensive? I guess when you factor in the attention he'll bring it will pay for itself. For this reason, I think Barry can demand 15M and get it. We'll see.

4. It might make sense in a baseball sense on some level but it's like selling your soul to the devil.

A Grand Slam with this comment..

Barry Bonds is 42 turning 43 in July of 2007. I think the Orioles would be setting themselves up for a Sammy Sosa type situation. Bonds' AVE, SLG, and OBP all dipped dramatically last year. Look at 2004 and compare. A continued decline which is more to be expected at age 42/43 would make Bonds a liability.

I don't think the O's need Bonds giving Gibbons or anyone else hints and tips on what to take to make themself better. With Bonds you would have a continuous story all year about his drug usage and whether he will be indicted for lying to the grand jury. After Palmeiro in 2005 the Orioles should think twice about jumping right back into that situation. Signing Bonds would be a statement to baseball that the Orioles simply don't care about drugs in the sport.

The money that would have to be spent on Bonds could be used for many needed things on the O's, i.e. LF, starting pitcher or bullpen. The Orioles could get players that would help them more than one year and without disrupting the entire team and season.

4. It might make sense in a baseball sense on some level but it's like selling your soul to the devil.

Oh yeah, because the rest of the current Orioles are a bunch of saints, right? :rolleyes:

It kills me the way some people on here say things like this, yet the only thing, and I mean the ONLY thing that we all want and can agree on, is that we want a winner in Balitmore! These aren't our father's Orioles guys! there are no more Brooksies and Boogs and Cal's on the current Orioles, or anywhere else in the game for that matter. They are all mersenaries, in it for the money, and they have ALL let a kids game go to their head! Anyone who thinks Texiera will come here when he's a Free Agent so that he can play at HOME is so far off their rocker, they can't even see the thing anymore! The players care about money first, winning second, and being a good person, a role model if you will, is the farthest thing from most of their minds!

I'll take Barry in a heartbeat, if it means the Orioles are a better team, AND IT WOULD make us a better team.

If you want proof of my statements, look no farther than M&T Bank Stadium. The players in our Raven purple are criminals, drug users, DUI getters, wife beaters, etc. etc. etc, yet WE all cheer for them on Sunday when they put on their uniforms and act like animals on the field!

Okay, that's the end of my rant...sorry about that!:002_ssmile:

Barry will not sign here - plain and simple. He's a West Coast guy and I'm sure at this point he wants to play for a ring, if possible.

Yes, Bonds would be great for putting bodies in the seats, just for the show itself and will get us more ink in the papers and online due to his infamy.

Bottom line, if we are going to go pay a 43-year old who's got bone chips in his elbow and creaky knees, we'd be much better served to sign a younger body who can give us a few years and who can improve. Bonds is a me-first character who can break down at any moment and won't be doing the Orioles or the fanbase any favors.

Barry Bonds is 42 turning 43 in July of 2007. I think the Orioles would be setting themselves up for a Sammy Sosa type situation. Bonds' AVE, SLG, and OBP all dipped dramatically last year. Look at 2004 and compare. A continued decline which is more to be expected at age 42/43 would make Bonds a liability.

Not that I want Bonds here, but that's more than a little silly. I'm pretty sure Bonds' 2004 AVG, SLG, and OBP combined for the highest OPS of all time. He set the all time record for OBP in 2004. As in highest by any regular player out of the thousands and thousands who've played professional baseball in the last 130 years. Every other season by every other player in all of history would be a decline from that.

His 2006 numbers were still off the charts. His .999 OPS wasn't much short of Frank Robinson's triple crown year. It's higher than Cal Ripken or Eddie Murray ever had.

He could drop another 150 points of OPS this year and still be 3, 4, 5 wins better than the O's 2006 DHs.

I wouldn't pick up Bonds for a variety of reasons. But fear of him being a performance liability is pretty ridiculous.

I'll take Barry in a heartbeat, if it means the Orioles are a better team, AND IT WOULD make us a better team.

I don't think Barry Bonds will make the Orioles a better team. His stats are more likely going to be in the .250/.375./.450 area, maybe worse. He will be turning 43 in July 2007. I just don't think its a good gamble for one more monster season.

2004 .362/.609/.812

2006 .270/.454/.545

Archived