Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Orioles 2009 first-round pick Matt Hobgood is going to have season-ending arthroscopic right shoulder surgery July 6 to remove a bone spur.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The surgery could end Hobgood's Orioles career as he will be a minor lg free agent at end of season. Also had shoulder surgery, April 2012.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frankly, I'm glad it's finally over. Since he was picked #5 overall, I always held out hope that he'd produce in some way, shape or form. Turns out he had "bust" written all over him from day one - injury or no injury.

Now we can all move on. Hope he saved some of his signing bonus.

$2.42M hopefully he invested wisely because that could set him fine for many years.

Assuming half is gone in taxes (which is high), at his age, he will never have to work again if he chooses and doesn't go extravagant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming half is gone in taxes (which is high), at his age, he will never have to work again if he chooses and doesn't go extravagant.

I suppose. Let's say he lives just off the interest, and can get a nice stable, conservative 5% on that $2.42M. That's, what... $121k/yr. You can live on that, that's pretty good money. At least for now. Maybe not so much in 20 years with inflation. I guess it frees him up to do whatever he wants regardless of pay. Of course this all assumes that he isn't most athletes, and that he hasn't spent 75% (or 125%) of it already.

That sucks. It was bad from the beginning. The only thing I can say is that none of the guys we were thinking about below him -- eg., Zach Wheeler, Tyler Matzek -- has been incredible. I'm glad there wasn't an obvious star drafted behind him.

And don't mention Trout. He was drafted at 25 and there were no whispers at the time that we were looking at him at 5.

I suppose. Let's say he lives just off the interest, and can get a nice stable, conservative 5% on that $2.42M. That's, what... $121k/yr. You can live on that, that's pretty good money. At least for now. Maybe not so much in 20 years with inflation. I guess it frees him up to do whatever he wants regardless of pay. Of course this all assumes that he isn't most athletes, and that he hasn't spent 75% (or 125%) of it already.

Well hard to get 5% now but dooable.

He wouldn't have kept $2.42M though with taxes.

Probably more like $1.5 million but invested conservatively at such a young age, he can do as you say, whatever he wants.

Maybe Joe Jordan is getting a cut....

That sucks. It was bad from the beginning. The only thing I can say is that none of the guys we were thinking about below him -- eg., Zach Wheeler, Tyler Matzek -- has been incredible. I'm glad there wasn't an obvious star drafted behind him.

And don't mention Trout. He was drafted at 25 and there were no whispers at the time that we were looking at him at 5.

Everyone wanted Maztek. Still better than what we got and maybe could have been packaged. Who knows. I agree with your point though.

Archived