Schmuck brought up Hosmer and Smoak as potential 1B targets

ChaosLex

The Orioles need to stop worrying so much about nickels and dimes and pay Reynolds $8-9 mil. That's a reasonable rate for his offensive production and defense at 1B.

It depends what offensive production we get. I would not say Reynolds' offensive production in 2012, plus his defense at 1B, was worth $8-9 mm. To earn that, he'd have to bounce back a bit with the bat. It's not unreasonable to expect him to do so, but it's not guaranteed, either.

Fo rme, this is simple -- they need to re-sign Reynolds, or get someone better. That can mean getting a better player who plays 1B, or moving Davis to 1B and getting a better hitter for DH. But for me, I will be unhappy if Reynolds walks and they get someone else who they think will be about the same, or worse, to replace him. We can't afford to go backwards.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It depends what offensive production we get. I would not say Reynolds' offensive production in 2012, plus his defense at 1B, was worth $8-9 mm. To earn that, he'd have to bounce back a bit with the bat. It's not unreasonable to expect him to do so, but it's not guaranteed, either.

Fo rme, this is simple -- they need to re-sign Reynolds, or get someone better. That can mean getting a better player who plays 1B, or moving Davis to 1B and getting a better hitter for DH. But for me, I will be unhappy if Reynolds walks and they get someone else who they think will be about the same, or worse, to replace him. We can't afford to go backwards.

Would you be happy with them moving Davis to 1B and sighning someone like Austin Kearns as a RH DH to go with Betemit? That's what I think the plan is

Would you be happy with them moving Davis to 1B and sighning someone like Austin Kearns as a RH DH to go with Betemit? That's what I think the plan is

No, I would not be happy with that. I don't consider Kearns an upgrade over Reynolds with the bat, and I consider Davis a downgrade with the glove from Reynolds. Kearns is 3 years older than Reynolds and has bee a part-time player for several years. Lose, lose.

No, I would not be happy with that. I don't consider Kearns an upgrade over Reynolds with the bat, and I consider Davis a downgrade with the glove from Reynolds. Kearns is 3 years older than Reynolds and has bee a part-time player for several years. Lose, lose.
You have to look at it as replacing Davis at DH with Betemit/Kearns. Kearns has something like a .370 OBP against LHP. Then add to that a Reimold/McLouth platoon in LF. You could well have an offensive upgrade which offsets any loss on D at 1B.

You have to look at it as replacing Davis at DH with Betemit/Kearns. Kearns has something like a .370 OBP against LHP. Then add to that a Reimold/McLouth platoon in LF. You could well have an offensive upgrade which offsets any loss on D at 1B.

Why platoon Reimold and McLouth when Reimold hits right handed pitching better then left handed pitching (and better then McLouth hits right handed pitching)?

We already have Betemit and Reimold. Whether or not we sign McLouth is not in any way dependent upon whether we have Kearns or Reynolds. With Kearns, we would have a weaker bench, with lesser ability to match up later in games. Our defense would definitely take a hit. Additionally, this would earmark 2 players pretty much for DH duty only. No, there is no way to spin that Kearns is an upgrade on Reynolds, IMO.

Is it just me or does his line from last year look very Reynolds like, except doesn't get on base as much.

You are absolutely right, but if I am not mistaken, I believe he was battling sickness at the beginning of the season and through injury later in the season. I personally think he just had an off-year, but who really knows?

• 2 weeks later...
Bump. I wanted to bring back the Justin Smoak rumblings because at this point trying to get Hosmer or Butler seems like it won't happen. I'd send Arrieta and Avery for him. I wonder if either club would do that trade.

No thanks for Smoake. I'd rather trade some pitching for Corey Hart. Arrieta, Patton/Strop, and Avery for Corey Hart.

Bump. I wanted to bring back the Justin Smoak rumblings because at this point trying to get Hosmer or Butler seems like it won't happen. I'd send Arrieta and Avery for him. I wonder if either club would do that trade.

IMO, Smoak is a guy you take a chance on, but not someone you want to count on to provide a boost to a contending team's lineup.

I think Smoak becomes available if Hamilton or Swisher signs with the Mariners and Laroche with the Nationals. The Mariners apparently love Morse according to mlbtraderumors. So there is a potential 3 team deal with the Os, Nats and Mariners.

Os get Smoak

Mariners get Morse

Nats get two or 3 players from Os/Ms. I think Morse has more value than Smoak so the Mariners would also send a player to the Nats.

IMO, Smoak is a guy you take a chance on, but not someone you want to count on to provide a boost to a contending team's lineup.

I like the buy low aspect of it. Maybe we could get the 2nd baseman Ackley and Smoak in the same deal. Both looked bad last year but are both reasonably young and could probably be had for cheap. It could be good for both teams. Ackley and Smoak get to hit in Camden Yards and a guy like Arrieta gets to pitch in Safeco.

Archived