Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's the rub. Duquette should have had a sense they weren't going to be able to address their needs via trades by November. And with a few very rare posible trade scenarios (i.e., Stantion) I don't think trading Dundy or Machado makes sense for the Orioles. That said, Duquette should have gone into the winter meeting with a clear game plan to address the team's needs via free agency, yet the Orioles weren't seriously linked to a single pending free agent. Which leads me to one of two conclusions. Duquette is either flying by the seat of pants or Angelos is still reluctant to open up his check book. Either way something is still broken in the front office.

The Orioles had a great season last year, and the fans rewarded the team (and the owner) by coming out to the staidum in droves. They bought merchandise, food, tuned in to watch on MASN, etc. Making no effort to sustain or further the success of the team in 2013 is an insult to every fan who drank from the communal cup of orange kool-aid.

You've stated on multiple occasions that we should trade Bundy+ for Chase Headley based off of a career year at 28.

Hammel

Chen

Gonzalez

Tillman

Give me your predictions of the ERA of those 4 pitchers next year....

Okay, With Hammel, I say he could manage about a 3.85 without injuries.

Chen seemed to struggle a bit and the league will have a better scouting report on his arsenal. 4.05.

Gonzalez may have streaks of dominance, but I don't know if he will be consistent next year. 4.35

Tillman is a wild card so to speak. He had good games and bad games. I say without injuries, 4.15.

That is a solid, but unremarkable rotation as it stands.

We shall see where they end up.

MSK

Okay, With Hammel, I say he could manage about a 3.85 without injuries.

Chen seemed to struggle a bit and the league will have a better scouting report on his arsenal. 4.05.

Gonzalez may have streaks of dominance, but I don't know if he will be consistent next year. 4.35

Tillman is a wild card so to speak. He had good games and bad games. I say without injuries, 4.15.

That is a solid, but unremarkable rotation as it stands.

We shall see where they end up.

MSK

Talk about pessimistic. Good lord.

Talk about pessimistic. Good lord.

I answered your question and I get snark in response. Good lord.

I don't have orange-colored glasses on. Sorry. I see this team for what it is: a solid team of overachievers that got lucky 25% of the time. We have serious holes in offense and pitching right now. Our bullpen is set, but the revolving door SP rotation won't cut it in 2013.

I don't see our SP as dominating. I am not pessimistic at all. I love the Orioles, which is why I want to see them succeed. Why is that a hard concept for so many of you guys on the OH?

MSK

Swisher is 32, will require a 4 year commitment at around $60 million or more total, and isn't a great player. Good, but not great. It's very possible that 2 years into the deal, his bat speed drops off and he goes from being a good everyday player to little more than a decent backup- a $15 million dollar backup that cost us a first round pick.

His career average OPS is .828(.837 in 2012). I can easily see Betemit and a solid RH platoon partner putting up fairly similar production for a one year commitment at $3 or 4 million total, and without costing us that first round pick.

I'm going to use a comment I've had directed to me before. "Saying it over and over doesn't make it true".

I think Chen is better this year then he was last year. That is a fairly large dropoff from both Gonzo and Tilly. Fairly large.

And even with those pessimistic predictions, that is 4 pitchers with an ERA that is not awful. Our offense is not going to be anemic.

Take away they're ridiculous record in extra innings games last season and that team doesn't make the playoffs. There's no doubt the team has a good foundation, but they're not good enough to sit idly by, while the other teams in their division make efforts to improve their rosters.

But it doesn't work that way. You can't just take away games this team won fair and square. While I agree that the extra inning record will probably regress to the mean, that doesn't mean they won't improve in other areas. Also, many games may just be decided before extras now. It's easy to say "well they won't win as many one-run games or games in extras" but this is kind of lazy analysis. While superficially they probably won't have as amazing of a record in those exact circumstances, they could still be a 93 win team.

I think some expect Gonzalez to take a step back next year just because 28-year old rookies usually don't come out of anywhere and dominate. Actually watching Gonzalez pitch, however, I am at a loss to see how he is going to add 1+ runs to his ERA next season. Gonzalez was effective last year because he worked inside with his fast ball, commanded his off speed stuff, and mixed up his pitches very well. Watching him pitch, I just don't see what elements of his game are going to suddenly abandon him and turn him into a 4.35 ERA pitcher just like that. His 6.6 K/9 IP wasn't blow away but its also perfectly fine and again I don't see any reason to expect it to go down. I just don't see anything in the way he pitched last year to suggest that he is in for a major regression.

Betemit's OPS vs RHPs is not an opinion. It's a true statement. A fact. Saying it over and over doesn't make it true, the fact that it's true makes it true.

Other notable facts:

-Swisher is 32, the age when players typically begin to decline

-Swisher will get a 3 or 4 year deal for $13-15 million per

-Swisher's career OPS is .828

-Swisher will cost a first round pick

Archived