Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

I've been saying that we need to do a good balance of trades and FA signings.

For 1B/DH I'd go after LaRouche or Carlos Pena.

For 2B, is Kelly Johnson available?

Placido Polanco would be a good backup 3B depth option.

For LF, I would get Ryan Ludwick and package Reimold in a trade for a TOR starter.

For pitching, Kyle Lohse or Anibal Sanchez.

MSK

This poster has treated us to multiple posts on multiple threads. This post puts all of those posts in perspective.

Want to improve on Reimold in LF?... easy, just sign a LF that is already signed with another team and then trade Reimold for a TOR SP. Teams are just aching to give us their ace for Reimold. Throw in a couple signings of aging and struggling infielders, then sign a mid-rotation SP that is already signed with another team, and Presto! Eezy Peezy Japaneezy. World Series!

My goodness gracious.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pitching, pitching, pitching. Then pitching. Some more pitching. Then a little more pitching.

If we have a top 5 bullpen(the evidence says we do), a top 12-15 rotation(the evidence says we do), and a top 12-15 offense(the evidence says we do), then I like our chances in 2013.

Not to mention excellent defense! ( the evidence says we do ).

This poster has treated us to multiple posts on multiple threads. This post puts all of those posts in perspective.

Want to improve on Reimold in LF?... easy, just sign a LF that is already signed with another team and then trade Reimold for a TOR SP. Teams are just aching to give us their ace for Reimold. Throw in a couple signings of aging and struggling infielders, then sign a mid-rotation SP that is already signed with another team, and Presto! Eezy Peezy Japaneezy. World Series!

My goodness gracious.

If you had bothered to read the follow-up posts, I had said I didn't realize who had signed and who hadn't. I was going on info that was based on the last time I watched the MLB Network.

And I said PACKAGE Reimold, not a straight swap.

MSK

I love the idea that MSK doesn't have the time to follow signings, yet he has the time to post on here all day. Then again, I guess it doesn't take up much time when you post the exact same **** over and over.

Lastly, those 'suggestions' of what you'd like to see done are up there with Trea's FA suggestions (Moyer for 3 years!!!!).

I love the idea that MSK doesn't have the time to follow signings, yet he has the time to post on here all day. Then again, I guess it doesn't take up much time when you post the exact same **** over and over.

Lastly, those 'suggestions' of what you'd like to see done are up there with Trea's FA suggestions (Moyer for 3 years!!!!).

The last time I checked the MLB Network, those people hadn't signed deals. And I don't post on here all day.

Again, I've been busy. I check Orioles-related news all the time, but then when there's no news I come here.

Then I see people pretending that the Orioles are going to do well despite not making one single improvement over the off season. That's a bit tough to see.

MSK

The last time I checked the MLB Network, those people hadn't signed deals. And I don't post on here all day.

Again, I've been busy. I check Orioles-related news all the time, but then when there's no news I come here.

Then I see people pretending that the Orioles are going to do well despite not making one single improvement over the off season. That's a bit tough to see.

MSK

Well, how's about you cruise over to MLBTR or something similar and educate yourself before subjecting us to your uniformed opinions, k?

Also, stop suggesting that there is even one person here who does not want the O's to improve. Its an insult to everyone's eyeballs.

If you had bothered to read the follow-up posts, I had said I didn't realize who had signed and who hadn't. I was going on info that was based on the last time I watched the MLB Network.

MSK

I'm sorry, I was all the way over here. I couldn't hear you.

You are asking for a pass, claiming you haven't had time to keep up with hot stove; yet you have somehow found the time to post dozens, if not hundreds, of posts all saying the same thing in recent days. Sorry, no pass.

Well, how's about you cruise over to MLBTR or something similar and educate yourself before subjecting us to your uniformed opinions, k?

Also, stop suggesting that there is even one person here who does not want the O's to improve. Its an insult to everyone's eyeballs.

That's not what I said.

I said that there are people who keep saying we will be okay as we are. And you cannot deny how many posters have said that over the last week or so.

We are nowhere near being where we need to be in order to contend in 2013.

MSK

MSK

The fact that you even mention "package Reimold in a trade for a TOR starter" speaks volumes to me. Reimold has almost no value at this point to another team. He would have to be an insignificant part of a deal which included a large chunk of an already relatively weak farm system to land a TOR pitcher. I know you don't care, and that's fine, but your complaints lose a good amount of credibility with me when things like this are seen as legitimate possibilities for improvement.

I said that there are people who keep saying we will be okay as we are. And you cannot deny how many posters have said that over the last week or so.

MSK

No one here wants to stand pat. No one has justified going in to next season with exactly this roster.

I don't hate the Orioles. And you can't make me. I love them.

No one here wants to stand pat. No one has justified going in to next season with exactly this roster.

I don't hate the Orioles. And you can't make me. I love them.

Look over some of the posts from this weekend. The phrase "I'm okay with what we have" popped up multiple times.

I love the Orioles. Abhor the FO.

No one wants you to hate the Orioles, I just can't stand the ultra-conservative manner in which they operate every off season. I.E. Wait until all the good players are signed and then pick from the scrapheap. That is simply not a recipe for sustained success. I.E. Who ends up in the playoffs year after year (teams that spend money).

MSK

I love the Orioles. Abhor the FO.

No one wants you to hate the Orioles, I just can't stand the ultra-conservative manner in which they operate every off season. I.E. Wait until all the good players are signed and then pick from the scrapheap. That is simply not a recipe for sustained success. I.E. Who ends up in the playoffs year after year (teams that spend money).

MSK

This one, the last one, or the one before that. Because they were all completely different. You abhor the budget. You think it it too cheap. You think Angelos is a bad, bad, man. I get it. The teams that spend money are in the playoffs as often as the teams that don't. A recipe for SUSTAINED success is much different for this size market than it would be in the two or three markets in the US that can sustain what you preach. We need a well run minor league system, we need to feed it with top shelf prospects. And we need to construct the best major league team that we can within the budget that the miser gives us. Because we and the GM d'jour are not going to change that.

That's not what I said.

MSK

I am one that has said we are okay as we are. My definition of OK is that we are at least a .500 team with a solid young core.

I don't think you'll see many that say we are a world series contender right now. The difference is in the approach to contention. You think if we do enough via trade/free agency that we can get there in one off season.

I would say, we are trending upward and we need to focus on the long term. I don't want to see us do anything big in free agency that would hamper our ability to do other things. And I certainly don't want to give up more than 1 of our young pitchers. I like the depth that we are building.

So all that to say, I like where we are going long term. Whether we make the playoffs next year, to me, won't be the most important thing in the Orioles returning to prominence for the long run.

Certainly free agent signing and big trades could be a part of building the future, but I don't think they are going to be the most efficient route to long term contention for this team.

Archived