Roch: Showalter comments on Bourn's availability

ChaosLex

Shocked if Bourn has more than 15 steals? Id be more shocked if Bourn has less than 15 steals than I would be if Wieters had 35 steals.

I would love to have Bourn. An Oriole that can run, what a treat it would be. Its interesting to read that anyone would rather have Reimold/Mcclouth than Bourn. The OH value system. I love our guys, but Bourn can play and while I'm sure he's asking for too much, it would be nice to have a leadoff and therefore a #2 in Nick rather than neither.

He is a player that depends almost entirely on his legs and while you cant coach speed, you also cant maintain it forever. Bourn isn't old yet, but having just turned 30 it would be hard to pay a ton for a guy who depends on speed as much as he does into his mid 30s. I think Bourn makes us a much more dangerous lineup in 2013.

We were talking about Roberts. If Bourn was to have less than 15 steals that would be shocking.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We were talking about Roberts. If Bourn was to have less than 15 steals that would be shocking.

My apologies! The board was jumbling up for me, it happens every once in awhile for some reason and the replies aren't sorted clearly. Some posts show up out of order, some quotes show up in the wrong posts, etc. Idk what it is. I should have refreshed.

Roberts, one of my favorite Os, I actually felt bad that he didn't get to be a part of the magical season after all he has been through here in Baltimore. Hard to feel too badly for a gentleman who is making that kind of money to taking batting practice, but there is more to life than money and I really wish he had been able to enjoy more of what the Os were doing on the field last year.

15 SBs for Roberts, I think he'd be around 23 or so with 155ABs. He still seemed to have a nice first step from the little we got to see of him. I wouldnt make any bets on it though.

My apologies! The board was jumbling up for me, it happens every once in awhile for some reason and the replies aren't sorted clearly. Some posts show up out of order, some quotes show up in the wrong posts, etc. Idk what it is. I should have refreshed.

Roberts, one of my favorite Os, I actually felt bad that he didn't get to be a part of the magical season after all he has been through here in Baltimore. Hard to feel too badly for a gentleman who is making that kind of money to taking batting practice, but there is more to life than money and I really wish he had been able to enjoy more of what the Os were doing on the field last year.

15 SBs for Roberts, I think he'd be around 23 or so with 155ABs. He still seemed to have a nice first step from the little we got to see of him. I wouldnt make any bets on it though.

Well, Gordo says 130 games and if he plays that many he might have a shot. Might. I want to see what he looks like in ST. 155. You did mean games right? Because ABs would be....around 33 or 34 games as a full time player. There's no way he gets 23 SB in 33 games and there's no way he plays in 155 games.

Well, Gordo says 130 games and if he plays that many he might have a shot. Might. I want to see what he looks like in ST. 155. You did mean games right? Because ABs would be....around 33 or 34 games as a full time player. And there's no way he plays in that many games.

Yes sir. Games. Perhaps its getting to late to be posting and watching Lucky Number Slevin at the same time. Good flick, but I'm butchering your conversation -- I apologize for that.

Roberts is probably who I'm most excited to see in ST. Cautiously optimistic. I appreciate what Andino offered, but 75% of what Brob was, for the 130 games mentioned, would be a huge boost in 2013.

That's the point I was making to Gordo. You never lose the ability to read pitchers, but I think he has lost a step. While with the team he only attempted two SB and was caught once in 17 games and 74 PA. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though, that he may have been out of shape due to not having had a full off season and a ST.

That's the point I was making to Gordo. You never lose the ability to read pitchers, but I think he has lost a step. While with the team he only attempted two SB and was caught once in 17 games and 74 PA. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though, that he may have been out of shape due to not having had a full off season and a ST.

Yeah his instincts are elite on the bases, but they can only get you an edge, speed has to take care of the rest. He just has such a great feel for everything once he gets on first; His reads, his first step. Even if he cant steal 20-25, he's still someone who can get into the head of a pitcher and I miss having that. We've seen a lot of pitchers worry about Roberts on first only to make a mistake to the man at the plate.

Shocked if Bourn has more than 15 steals? Id be more shocked if Bourn has less than 15 steals than I would be if Wieters had 35 steals.

I would love to have Bourn. An Oriole that can run, what a treat it would be. Its interesting to read that anyone would rather have Reimold/Mcclouth than Bourn. The OH value system. I love our guys, but Bourn can play and while I'm sure he's asking for too much, it would be nice to have a leadoff and therefore a #2 in Nick rather than neither.

He is a player that depends almost entirely on his legs and while you cant coach speed, you also cant maintain it forever. Bourn isn't old yet, but having just turned 30 it would be hard to pay a ton for a guy who depends on speed as much as he does into his mid 30s. I think Bourn makes us a much more dangerous lineup in 2013.

Bourn's highest OPS was .766, last year it was .739, his career average is .704. I'm pretty confident that a healthy Reimold and McLouth can combine to do considerably better than that. Bourn's game is primarly his SB, and CF defense. If he isn't playing CF his value is considerablly less. BTW McLouth stole 9out of 12 bases in13 attenpts in 236 PA . That should be good for 30 over a full season. Rickey Henderson stole 66 bases at age 39.You think he hadn't lost a few steps by then?

I agree with your assessment of his base stealing ability, however, I was the same type of player but I didn't have the misfortune of seeing what limited speed I did have decline before my eyes. He will not be among our leaders in SB. He doesn't have the speed anymore and you still need that even if you can read a pitchers tendencies.

I'll edit and say I'd be shocked if he had more than 15 SB.

I'll caveat this with saying that none of us have any idea right now how Brian's speed will be...

SoCal is right. If the speed and explosiveness isn't there it doesn't matter what Brian knows. He might steal third more often than he steals second because he always had a special skill for that.

The only way we'd sign Bourn is if Buck and DD talk to AJ ahead of time to see if he is cool with a move to LF and possibly DH once in awhile. If he's okay with it I'd be fine with a 1 or 2 year deal. I'm big on speed as many on here know and am a fan of McLouth's and said I'd be glad to be President of his fan club. Speed, speed, speed! Nick leading off just to keep a good thing going. Bourn batting second and McLouth batting third with AJ 4th will mean AJ, Wieters or Davis will see nothing but fastballs when they follow. McLouth did okay batting third for awhile and being lefthanded would hide Bourn when he is on first making it easier for him to steal second. Speed, speed and more speed. If we can't land the power hitter for the middle of the lineup then we need to manufacture runs and upset the pitchers rhythm as much as possible. I'm sure Buck is thinking about this. I know there are a few on here who get upset with me every time I mention a possible Stanton deal with the Marlins. Another national comment recently;

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/quick-hits-capuano-stanton-rays-arbitration.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/01/15/giancarlo-stanton-marlins-fire-sale/1837899/

At this time of year anything is possible, but you're looking at the world through orange colored sunglasses.
Not at all. I don't assume he's going to be healthy. If he is, I'd be surprised if he doesn't put up better numbers than we got from 2B last season. 213 .273 .323 .596. 5 SB 6 CS.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/01/it-would-be-highly-surprising.html

Interesting that Showalter has spoken to DD about Bourn. I mean, he seems to poo-poo the idea with his comments about Reimold and such, but I just thought it was interesting. What say you?

I like how Buck admitted the thought of adding Bourn keeps him up at night. I'm surprised Buck wasn't also trying to sell the Brooklyn Bridge. ;)

Not at all. I don't assume he's going to be healthy. If he is, I'd be surprised if he doesn't put up better numbers than we got from 2B last season. 213 .273 .323 .596. 5 SB 6 CS.

...which he was a part of. It wouldn't surprise me if he did worse. I think we can agree that the O's shouldn't be using last year's numbers as any kind of standard.

Archived