Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would assume that Kubel would pretty much be a DH here, and this report makes little to no sense if that's true. A Betemit/whoever platoon would likely be just as productive as Kubel AND would be cheaper.

If we're going for anyone from the Dbacks, I would think it would be Upton.

I would assume that Kubel would pretty much be a DH here, and this report makes little to no sense if that's true. A Betemit/whoever platoon would likely be just as productive as Kubel AND would be cheaper.

If we're going for anyone from the Dbacks, I would think it would be Upton.

The only thing I can see is that Kubel appears to be better against lefties than Betemit. And given the difficulties in running a strict platoon with a short bench, that has some advantages. But he can't even pretend to play 1B/3B, and he's in no way deserving of his $8M salary, so I don't see how he's a good option without getting really creative.

The only thing I can see is that Kubel appears to be better against lefties than Betemit. And given the difficulties in running a strict platoon with a short bench, that has some advantages. But he can't even pretend to play 1B/3B, and he's in no way deserving of his $8M salary, so I don't see how he's a good option without getting really creative.

Yea, the only thing that makes sense is if they can trade nothing of consequence for Kubel and then flip Betemit for a right-handed DH platoon partner (someone like this guy) but that scenario seems unlikely. If Wilson is part of a trade for any player beyond some sort of role player, he is most likely a relatively small part of the deal. I would assume in that case, that the Orioles would just replace Betemit with another player(s) rather than go through the process of trading for Kubel just so that Betemit can be an insignificant part of another deal (say for someone like Porcello).

I have been worried the Orioles would overpay for Morse or Kubel for months. My concern is that the team's budget constraints will cause us to require the D'backs to put money in the deal -- which is good -- but in return we will be expected to give up a player of value -- which is horrible. And of course, we don't need Kubel anyway. Hopefully, we're just kicking the tires.

Fully agree that going after Kubel is dumb with Betemit on the roster. Couldn't we get back in on Upton? It's pretty clear by now that no one is willing to give up their top prospects for him, thus it seems like we could assemble a competitive package w/o Bundy or Machado...

The only way this makes sense is if they have concerns over Betemit's wrists. Remember he wasn't able to come back for the playoffs at the end of last year. Maybe other events have occurred to make the O's question whether Betemit will be ready to go to start the year.

The only way this makes sense is if they have concerns over Betemit's wrists. Remember he wasn't able to come back for the playoffs at the end of last year. Maybe other events have occurred to make the O's question whether Betemit will be ready to go to start the year.

I have been somewhat concerned about this, too.

If that's the case, I think I'd rather start the year with Ishikawa at first and Davis at DH until Betemit's ready than trade someone like Arrieta or Britton for Kubel and his $7.5 million dollar contract. Either that, or sign someone like Kelly Johnson or Carlos Lee who would only cost money, and not quality talent.

The Orioles already have Wilson Betemit, who is nearly a carbon copy of Kubel in terms of defensive value and L/R splits, is projected to produce about 90% of what Kubel is in 2013, and costs about 1/4 as much. This makes no sense.

Agreed, just checked the splits and his .840 career OPS vs RHP would make a nice DH platoon option, but Betemit is already here and signed for cheap.

Unless Betemit is traded/injured and Kubel is acquired for very little as a salary dump, this moves makes no sense.

Duquette strikes me as a smart guy, smart enough to see the similarities in Betemit and Kubel and to opt not to have both on the team. If Kubel comes in as a strict DH, backup plan for LF/1B in the scenerio that McLouth, Reimold, and/or Davis all soil the bed defensively or even offensively, and sees most of his at bats against RHP then so be it. Any other situation is standing in place throwing millions to the wind.

After watching the atrocity that is Betemits defense at multiple positions, I would love to see an Orioles team without him, but he is an attractive platoon option at DH for cheap. I conclude its a wash when considering one or the other and a bad decision if considering both.

And a really bad decision if anything worth anything is given up for him.

Archived