Dbacks and Braves agree to Upton deal

Going Underground

I think I would do that deal. I know a lot of people here aren't very high on Kubel, but if we could get him for an injury-plagued reserve corner infielder and a guy who might never make it to the bigs, without having to part with an arm like Britton, Arrieta or Matusz, I think that's a steal.

I see no real improvement for us in making this move- it's almost completely lateral, IMO.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you not paid attention to any thread about Betemit vs. RHP? His career OPS vs. RHP is .824.

I hope you paid attention to my point about projecting stats are a full season of ABs being a dangerous game. Betemit has barely cracked 400 ABs once in his career. So you're speculating that he post that same OPS if he is afforded more ABs. And you also failed to pay attention to the person who made the point about it being nearly impossible to maintain a straight right / left platoon in this day and age. I don't like Kublel, but he is is an upgrade over Betemit.

BFor those who are implying Betemit will match him offensively, based on what track record I ask?

Last 3 years:

OBP: Betemit .346 Kubel .327

SLG: Betemit .459 Kubel .458

wRC+: Betemit 117 Kubel 109

All that said, I would much rather the Os part with a bit more and make a run at Upton.

a bit more = Dylan Bundy, Jon Schoop, and Zach Britton.

I hope you paid attention to my point about projecting stats are a full season of ABs being a dangerous game. Betemit has barely cracked 400 ABs once in his career. So you're speculating that he post that same OPS if he is afforded more ABs. And you also failed to pay attention to the person who made the point about it being nearly impossible to maintain a straight right / left platoon in this day and age. I don't like Kublel, but he is is an upgrade over Betemit.

CAREER.

And it's about as much of an upgrade as trading a Millard Fillmore dollar coin for a dollar bill.

Do you have any evidence to show that is unlikely? It doesn't have to be a strict platoon, but we have enough guys that Betemit should never have to start vs. LHP.

..... and the trend is your friend.

So we don't even look at hrs and rbis anymore? If you're arguing that "wins" are an irrelevant stat, that's fine, but you can't just ignore hrs and rbis. If you can look me in the eye and with a straight face say that you think Betemit can post 30 / 90 if given 500 ABs then I'll walk away.

Do you have any evidence to show that is unlikely? It doesn't have to be a strict platoon, but we have enough guys that Betemit should never have to start vs. LHP.

My point is Kubel has an ACTUAL sample size to evaluate. Betemit does not. And care to make a small wager that Betemit will NEVER start against a lefty in 2013, if they go with the current roster?

So we don't even look at hrs and rbis anymore? If you're arguing that "wins" are an irrelevant stat, that's fine, but you can't just ignore hrs and rbis. If you can look me in the eye and with a straight face say that you think Betemit can post 30 / 90 if given 500 ABs then I'll walk away.
My point is Kubel has an ACTUAL sample size to evaluate. Betemit does not. And care to make a small wager that Betemit will NEVER start against a lefty in 2013, if they go with the current roster?

Never mind, this is pointless.

This. I really don't understand the people who say Betemit and Kubel are interchangeable players. Kubel was one of the better OFs in the league last year. Betemit was a very poor man's Ty Wigginton.

This. I really don't understand the people who say Betemit and Kubel are interchangeable players. Kubel was one of the better OFs in the league last year. Betemit was a very poor man's Ty Wigginton.

Kubel was worth 0.8 rWAR and 1.9 fWAR last year. He certainly wasn't one of the better OF in the league. His career UZR/150 in LF is -12.7 and in RF is -16.1. That's really bad......Mark Reynolds bad defensively.

Archived