Matt Wieters to Boras: Keep me in Baltimore

fearthenoodle

Boras will laugh at that offer, with all due respect to Frobby.

It might be nice for Oriole fans in their mind, but it is just pie in the sky thinking to get Wieters locked up for that number. It will never happen.

Boras will laugh at whatever their first offer is.

Ultimately it is up to Matt.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boras will laugh at that offer, with all due respect to Frobby.

It might be nice for Oriole fans in their mind, but it is just pie in the sky thinking to get Wieters locked up for that number. It will never happen.

I said that's about where I'd start. It's a very reasonable opening position and I doubt Boras would think otherwise.

Is Wieters more important than Jones? NO way we give him more than Jones got.

The guy is slow and already seems to have a slider speed bat. Unless he has a breakout season I cant see the Orioles backing the truck up for this guy.

The guy is slow and already seems to have a slider speed bat. Unless he has a breakout season I cant see the Orioles backing the truck up for this guy.

The fact that he's been worth 9.1 WAR over the last two years tells me that you just listed some of his negative qualities while ignoring his overall value to the team.

Adam Jones has a poor BB/K ratio, is unable to recognize sliders, and many of the fielding statistics say he's not a good defender. Luckily, he's a really good baseball player overall. Same as Wieters.

I think that, on the field, Wieters is more important then Jones. What Jones does off the field may enable him to surpass Wieters in overall value to the franchise.

My answer to the contract issue is 10/150 with an out after 6 years.

If you put 10M in that 'roster bonus' (whatever you want to call it), if the team doesn't exercise it (Wietersexercises the years), the downside risk is 10/140.

It guarantees the team 6 years (which is the important time now) and FA1-FA3 look reasonable.

It gives Wieters some significant security ($$$$ in Baltimore) and still allows him to pursue a new 'market contract' (w/Orioles or as a FA) after '18.

Boras has done similar things with a number of contracts...most similar to ChanHoPark....although when you think about it...none of those deals have benefitted the team.

On the Park contract, the Rangers didn't exercise that bonus and Park didn't opt for FA.

So you think 3/40ish post arb years gets it done?? Or even starts the conversation?

Yes. Here is what I'd had in mind for an opening bid (by the way, I formulated this before Wieters' 2013 salary was agreed):

2013 $5.5 mm (arb. eligible)

2014 $8.5 mm (arb. eligible)

2015 $11 mm (arb. eligible)

2016 $13 mm (FA)

2017 $14 mm (FA)

2018 $15 mm (FA)

To give some context here, Yadier Molina signed a 5/$75 mm deal that begins this season, covering 5 years in which he'd be a free agent. He signed that deal after posting an .814 OPS and backstopping the team that won the World Series, and earning his 4th straight Gold Glove and 3rd straight all-star appearance. In that context, I think what I suggested is a very fair starting point.

Here's the thing: I want Wieters here for the next six years even if he hits exactly the same as he has for the first four years of his career.

Well... if he's catching at this level 10 years into his career, then sure. But what makes you think he'll still be behind the plate in years 5 and 6 of that contract (years 9 and 10 in the bigs)? Mauer is entering his 10th year so he didn't even make it that far behind the plate (actually it's more like his 9th if you're picky).

A long term Wieters contract would entail lots of risk. We should look to use this draft to pick up a decent catching prospect.

But if we are talking a 5 year deal at a team friendly cost. With no notrade clause. They should jump on it.

But nothing longer. Wieters already has old man skills. And how well do guys like that age? Not so well.

OK folks, now for the other part of the equation.

Does an owner that is as risk adverse as Angelos OK the funds to make this happen?

Extending an oversized Catcher long term is different then an outfielder.

Right and forget Angelos, for his size and wear and tear when can we project he starts to decline. I mean, I love the guy but at some point he is going to break down. I'm not sure I want to go as far as six years.

Mauer is 29 and has already seen significant decrease in innings behind the plate with that trend likely to continue. If we lock MW up for six years how many of those years do you think he spends the majority catching where he holds the bulk of his value?

Well... if he's catching at this level 10 years into his career, then sure. But what makes you think he'll still be behind the plate in years 5 and 6 of that contract (years 9 and 10 in the bigs)? Mauer is entering his 10th year so he didn't even make it that far behind the plate (actually it's more like his 9th if you're picky).

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier. I don't know if people were awestruck with the idea of Wieters loyalty to the franchise or forget the fact that the end of a six year extension may not look very good. Although if he picks it up offensively we could always move him to first like it looks like the Twins will do with Mauer.

Archived