Vegas over under for Orioles wins 76.5

Ibanezsondajuice

Is anyone else beginning to develop a chip on their shoulder? I definitely am. No, I don't think we're likely to win 93 games again, but the way many people are just dismissing us entirely just ticks me off. It's as if last year is being dismissed as a lousy team getting incredibly lucky and this year they'll be lousy again when their luck returns to normal. Whereas what I see is a team that was much improved and got better as the year went along, that had it's record significantly enhanced by performing well in the close games. There's a big difference between those two views of the team in terms of what it means for 2013. I hope Buck and his boys just make the naysayers feel like absolute fools by the time this season's over.

Perhaps. But I think that it would be hilarious if the Orioles had another good season in 2013, and made the "experts" and oddsmakers look really bad 2 years in a row.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps. But I think that it would be hilarious if the Orioles had another good season in 2013, and made the "experts" and oddsmakers look really bad 2 years in a row.

Baseball Prospectus had a piece which showed that the Orioles are the 3rd WORST team in the AL. No math makes that happen. The chip is large with this one.

Baseball Prospectus had a piece which showed that the Orioles are the 3rd WORST team in the AL. No math makes that happen. The chip is large with this one.

I didn't say that they were correct. I just said that I didn't care, any more than I cared what they had to say before last year ... although, it was funny watching them look bad in October.

Well, I guess we don't even need to play this year.

Not in exact order, but..

Angels

Rangers

A's

Tigers

Indians

Royals

White Sox

Blue Jays

Yankees

Rays

Orioles

Red Sox

Mariners

Twins

Astros

I don't think they will be the 3rd worst, but the Astros and Twins are the only two teams I see as pushovers. It's close enough, that it's not far-fetched that the Orioles could end up being the 4th or 5th worst team in the AL. Some of the teams that finished below them last year made some moves that should improve them.

Not in exact order, but..

Angels

Rangers

A's

Tigers

Indians

Royals

White Sox

Blue Jays

Yankees

Rays

Orioles

Red Sox

Mariners

Twins

Astros

I don't think they will be the 3rd worst, but the Astros and Twins are the only two teams I see as pushovers. It's close enough, that it's not far-fetched that the Orioles could end up being the 4th or 5th worst team in the AL. Some of the teams that finished below them last year made some moves that should improve them.

ROFL you think the Indians Royals and White Sox will all finish above Baltimore?

I'll take that bet in a heartbeat.

ROFL you think the Indians Royals and White Sox will all finish above Baltimore?

I'll take that bet in a heartbeat.

I think you over-state the case just a bit.

The Royals are going to be interesting this year- if Hosmer gets back on track and the Shields-led rotation doesn't underperform, they could make some noise. The White Sox will probably compete but fall short again- unless Sale goes all Clayton Kershaw on everyone. In that case, the sky's the limit. The Indians will probably be respectable but never really threaten the division leaders.

It wouldn't really shock me if any one of those teams finished better than the Orioles(except for the Indians maybe), but probably not all 3.

But who knows after 2012?

Didn't say they would. I said it's not far-fetched that it could happen. What in your opinion makes the O's clearly better than those three teams?

Indians: Starting Pitching, bullpen, power, organizational depth.

White Sox: Defense, age, bullpen, organizational depth.

Royals: Defense, Bullpen, power, organizational depth.

I think the Indians have a strong defensive team, I think the White Sox have power and starting pitching, I think the Royals have great depth in their rotation. But they are mostly flawed teams with little depth and the burden to prove. The only way I could see any of them finishing with a better record than the Orioles would be if 2 of them stunk so badly, that the AL Central became a two team division (Detroit + one of these teams), and they simply beat up on the weakest division in baseball. I'm sure none of them would have as good a record against non-divisional opponents as the Orioles in any scenario.

Indians: Starting Pitching, bullpen, power, organizational depth.

White Sox: Defense, age, bullpen, organizational depth.

Royals: Defense, Bullpen, power, organizational depth.

I think the Indians have a strong defensive team, I think the White Sox have power and starting pitching, I think the Royals have great depth in their rotation. But they are mostly flawed teams with little depth and the burden to prove. The only way I could see any of them finishing with a better record than the Orioles would be if 2 of them stunk so badly, that the AL Central became a two team division (Detroit + one of these teams), and they simply beat up on the weakest division in baseball. I'm sure none of them would have as good a record against non-divisional opponents as the Orioles in any scenario.

The Indians have 7 guys with 20+ HR potential. Not sure power is a weakness. Their lineup has just as much pop, if not more than the Orioles. The Royals have a real good young team, that could be this years O's or A's. The White Sox have some pop and a clearly better starting rotation then the O's.

The O's have some question marks in the rotation and at LF, 2B, DH, and we dont know what to expect from Manny. I still dont see why the O's are clearly better than the WS, Royals, and Indians. Agree to disagree, but I think the AL is pretty tightly matched up and down with the exception of the Astros and Twins.

Archived