ARam opts for free agency

Sports Guy

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Gee, who would have guessed this? Dave and Bigbird, what are you hearing now?

He should become our #1 target.

Well I agree with Bruce Miles that this is just a formality since a new deal hasn't gotten done yet.

If we rewind a month or two, one could envision four scenarios here:

A) ARam not exercising the opt-out in the first place;

B) ARam opting out but re-signing for a hometown discount;

C) ARam playing hardball and squeezing every last dollar out of the Cubs; or

D) ARam leaving.

At this point A) is obviously gone, and I never really thought it was a possibility in the first place (> 5%).

We can safely eliminate B), too. That would've happened by now if it was going to. I thought this was an outside possibility (~20%), so it's no real surprise that things aren't going to work out this way.

ARam opting out and filing for FA is consistent with either C) or D).

I still think C) is what happens, and not surprisingly, that pretty much requires that Ramirez push Hendry to the 11th hour. There's no urgency for ARam, and only good can come from waiting it out. In the end, if Ramirez is willing to be even in the same area code as reasonable, then Hendry has to step up and get this done, and I think he will.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mora isn't the type of player to cry about having to move to LF if it helps the team. Adding Ramirez obviously helps the team.

It would be pretty counter productive for Mora to complain last year about not improving the team, and then complain about moving positions when it helps the team.

DROOOOOOL!!!!

While the rest of the GMs are being stupid and throwing way too much money at the wrong guys in Lee and Soriano, we need to sneak in and make a signing just about as big as Tejada from years back. It's another guy that we have a chance to give a huge contract to but still get him for much less than he's obviously worth.

Get the man a contract. Now, please.

I don't think signing Ramirez would alienate Mora, anymore than it would alienate Tejada because he would no longer be the highest paid player on the team. Mora (and Tejada) want to win and they know Ramirez would be a big step towards that happening. Mora becomes the highest paid super utility player in baseball, and Miggy might become the happy Miggy again.

As much of a team player as Melvin is, I'm not too sure he would be happy about being a "super utility player" at this stage of his career. He might be willing to move off 3B to make room for Ramirez, but he would still want a regular starting job. Probably in LF.

Well I agree with Bruce Miles that this is just a formality since a new deal hasn't gotten done yet.

If we rewind a month or two, one could envision four scenarios here:

A) ARam not exercising the opt-out in the first place;

B) ARam opting out but re-signing for a hometown discount;

C) ARam playing hardball and squeezing every last dollar out of the Cubs; or

D) ARam leaving.

At this point A) is obviously gone, and I never really thought it was a possibility in the first place (> 5%).

We can safely eliminate B), too. That would've happened by now if it was going to. I thought this was an outside possibility (~20%), so it's no real surprise that things aren't going to work out this way.

ARam opting out and filing for FA is consistent with either C) or D).

I still think C) is what happens, and not surprisingly, that pretty much requires that Ramirez push Hendry to the 11th hour. There's no urgency for ARam, and only good can come from waiting it out. In the end, if Ramirez is willing to be even in the same area code as reasonable, then Hendry has to step up and get this done, and I think he will.

Do you think the Cubs offer as much or more than they gave Lee?

As much of a team player as Melvin is, I'm not too sure he would be happy about being a "super utility player" at this stage of his career. He might be willing to move off 3B to make room for Ramirez, but he would still want a regular starting job. Probably in LF.

Mora hits more like a LF anyways. Get ARam and be done with it.

Where does everyone think he comes in at? I would think more than Lee and probably a little less than Soriano. Do you think he is worth 5/80-90 because that is what I think he gets. I think I give it to him if I am the GM.

He is more worth it than any of the other FA out there. Even if he isn't worth 18 million a year, i would still rather give it to him than Soriano or whoever.

Where does everyone think he comes in at? I would think more than Lee and probably a little less than Soriano. Do you think he is worth 5/80-90 because that is what I think he gets. I think I give it to him if I am the GM.

Yes I give him that contract he is younger than Soriano and Lee. He would provide Power at a position that is traditionally rather weak offensivley.

If you give this big to ARam then turn around and trade for Ensberg or Burrell and put them at 1B you are doing something.

1. Roberts 2B

2. Markakis RF

3. Tejada SS

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Ensberg or Burrell 1B

6. Mora LF

7. Gibbons DH

8. Hernandez C

9. Patterson CF

Mora hits more like a LF anyways. Get ARam and be done with it.

How about A-Ram, Dellucci, Cruz Jr., and re-signing Millar?

1. Roberts 2B

2. Markakis RF

3. Tejada SS

4. Ramirez 3B

5. Dellucci LF vs. RHP/ Mora vs. LHP

6. Hernandez C

7. Patterson CF vs. RHP/ Cruz Jr. vs LHP

8-9: Millar/ Gibbons/ Mora

I'd also probably bring in another candidate to compete at DH/1B, or let Millar walk and take a step-up by going with Thomas or Bonds or someone.

Seriously, if we insisted on Mora starting the year as a super-utility guy and platooner and did not buy into him magically reviving from God-awful into starter-quality again and having him play the whole season as a starter because we have no one else and actually go out and get someone, we will be so much more happy.

That lineup really is not that far off from the Yanks and Red Sox--maybe even better.

Trading Tejada does not seem like the right thing to do at this point. It seems that the prospects for him keep getting worse and worse to the extent that I think this is our time to chance it for next year and hope for some Tiger-like pitching performances.

Instead of investing the money that other teams like the Yanks will on starters we know will be crappy like Suppan, we need to make a big splash in making our lineup awesome, as well as getting a potential rotation and bullpen arm or two.

Ignore old guys who stink. Get a team ready to break out. We can do that with Am Ram and a couple of other big bats.

Archived