ARam opts for free agency

Sports Guy

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would pay him whatever it takes to get him here. Move Mora to left field, insert Ramirez at third. You can still sign Cruz Jr. and possibly Catalanotto/Dellucci to platoon in the outfield. Grab a couple bullpen arms, maybe a starter and Moises Alou for DH and we got ourselves a team.

Ramirez should be our prime target. I'm thinking 5/80-85 gets it done. Still relatively young hits for power and could be the protection that Tejada needs in the lineup. I could see a lineup with Ramirez as follows.

Roberts 2B

Markakis RF

Tejada SS

Ramirez 3B

Mora LF

Huff/Millar 1B

Gibby DH

Patterson CF

Hernandez C

I would pay him whatever it takes to get him here. Move Mora to left field, insert Ramirez at third. You can still sign Cruz Jr. and possibly Catalanotto/Dellucci to platoon in the outfield. Grab a couple bullpen arms, maybe a starter and Moises Alou for DH and we got ourselves a team.

Sorry to pick on one thing, but I'm not sure I'd want a 40 year old injury-prone Moises Alou over a 29 year old injury prone Jay Gibbons. And we definitely need a top o the ro starter and a 1Bman - though maybe Mora can fit in there.

Sorry to pick on one thing, but I'm not sure I'd want a 40 year old injury-prone Moises Alou over a 29 year old injury prone Jay Gibbons. And we definitely need a top o the ro starter and a 1Bman - though maybe Mora can fit in there.

I would move Gibbons to first base if possible. Mora could be used as super-utility. I don't think we're going to get a top of the rotation starter unless Ramirez would be enough to lure Schmidt to signing here or we would have to trade for one.

Roberts 2B

Markakis RF

Tejada SS

Ramirez 3B

Alou DH

Gibbons 1B

Mora/Dellucci LF

Hernandez C

Patterson/Cruz Jr.

Bedard

Cabrera

Padilla/Lilly/Mech/etc

Loewen

Benson/Penn

Ray

Britton

Hoey

Burres

Birkins

Free agent relievers

I agree this would alienate Melvin, but with the numbers he put up last season, he will have to deal with it.

I don't think signing Ramirez would alienate Mora, anymore than it would alienate Tejada because he would no longer be the highest paid player on the team. Mora (and Tejada) want to win and they know Ramirez would be a big step towards that happening. Mora becomes the highest paid super utility player in baseball, and Miggy might become the happy Miggy again.

I don't think signing Ramirez would alienate Mora, anymore than it would alienate Tejada because he would no longer be the highest paid player on the team. Mora (and Tejada) want to win and they know Ramirez would be a big step towards that happening. Mora becomes the highest paid super utility player in baseball, and Miggy might become the happy Miggy again.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking. Will Melvin be ecstatic about moving again? No. But I think he's humble enough to understand that signing Ramirez gives him a better chance to win. He's already made his money; what else is there but winning?

I think Mora has become pretty comfy at the hot corner since he declined to play for the WBC team as an outfielder and he was just given a contract extension. I say he is alienated as position goes, but he will be fine so long as the team improves. Hopefully the FO gave him the extension with both parties understanding he would move to another position if it helps the team.

I would move Gibbons to first base if possible. Mora could be used as super-utility. I don't think we're going to get a top of the rotation starter unless Ramirez would be enough to lure Schmidt to signing here or we would have to trade for one.

Roberts 2B

Markakis RF

Tejada SS

Ramirez 3B

Alou DH

Gibbons 1B

Mora/Dellucci LF

Hernandez C

Patterson/Cruz Jr.

Bedard

Cabrera

Padilla/Lilly/Mech/etc

Loewen

Benson/Penn

Ray

Britton

Hoey

Burres

Birkins

Free agent relievers

I'd go along with your OF. I just don't think Gibbons will work out at 1B for 2 reasons:

1. I heard what he said about playing 1B before last season. He clearly did not want to play there - calling himself a RFer.

2. While I think he has the physical ability to do a good job there, he just showed no instincts. I mean... I've filled in a few times at 1B on a rec league softball team, and I think I showed better instincts than he did. :)

I like the idea of trading for a blocked guy from another organization and maybe have him split time with Millar.

On starter, Lilly is mediocre at best. Padilla and Meche have some upside, but we need a #1 guy to really compete. Bedard is a solid #2. I still have hope for Cabrera being a #1, but we can't count on it. And I'd like to see Penn in the pen this season.

Archived