ARam opts for free agency

Sports Guy

I find it interesting that while Carlos Lee's numbers are slightly better than Aram's, yet he is deemed not worth $15 mil. per and Aram is adjudged worth upwards of $20 mil. per. solely for the reason that he is 2 years younger.

I'm not sure what numbers your looking at, but ARam has clearly had better numbers each of the last 3 years. Plus, the position he plays helps out his case.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what numbers your looking at, but ARam has clearly had better numbers each of the last 3 years. Plus, the position he plays helps out his case.

I was referring to their career averages. He plays his position about as badly as Mora and Lee. He is no defensive upgrade. He's not MCab who is worth $20mil. IMO

Offer ARam 6/96 and drive up the price for Lee and Soriano to everyone else.

As much as I like ARam and would rather have him over the other 2 guys, I think the scenario will turn out to be different. ARam is seen as the younger, more valuable guy over Lee, putting Lee as the worst of the group. This probably would lead to Lee signing first and driving up the price for ARam and Soriano.

However, either way, I say throw the chunk of change at ARam or Lee and see if they bite. What's the worse that could happen? They don't sign here? We are already at the bottom of the pool when it comes to signing top tier players, we can't sink any further, we can only go up.

I am surprised that the Cubs are ponying up that much.

I've been saying all along that the Cubs are going to do what it takes to keep ARam.

My guess is that in the end, Hendry guarantees that 6th year, making it 6/84 instead of 5/70 with the options. That's very close to what Kinzer's asking.

I've been saying all along that the Cubs are going to do what it takes to keep ARam.

My guess is that in the end, Hendry guarantees that 6th year, making it 6/84 instead of 5/70 with the options. That's very close to what Kinzer's asking.

You also said he wouldn't opt out, which he has.

I have always said the chances are good he goes back to Chicago but i still say he is going to see what is out there first. He has alot of high dollar teams gunning for him. If he doesn't come to BMore, i hope he does stay in Chicago.

I was referring to their career averages. He plays his position about as badly as Mora and Lee. He is no defensive upgrade. He's not MCab who is worth $20mil. IMO

You can't possibly think career averages is the best way to judge someone, I'm guessing your just using that to help your argument. Aram has the better stats each of the last 3 years, and that's what really matters. He's actually improved defensively from what I've read, but I was referring to his offensive ability for the position he plays.

Didn't you just say the other day that the chances of him resigning with the Cubs was something like 20%?

I said 25% but when you consider you could have as many as 8-10 teams involved in the bidding, 25% is still pretty high.

It's like if you say Tiger Woods has a 25% chance of winning the Masters, that is very high because you of the field.

SG you should apply to work for the grounds crew because you're good at covering all the bases when the stuff starts coming down.

Not really, from the beginning i said there was no way he wouldn't opt out and test FA. I was told he wouldn't even do that.

I was wrong on the Cubs offer(maybe) but other than that, i have been correct on this.

You also said he wouldn't opt out, which he has.

I have always said the chances are good he goes back to Chicago but i still say he is going to see what is out there first. He has alot of high dollar teams gunning for him. If he doesn't come to BMore, i hope he does stay in Chicago.

I never said he wouldn't opt out. It's been clear for months that he's going to get a better deal.

Really, the only question was whether a new deal would be in place with the Cubs before or after the WS ended (when opt-out window opened).

And as documented above, you were saying >25% like a day ago. That's not a good chance.

If he does sign for that, it illustrates how ridiculosly overpriced Soriano is going to be.

It also illustrates how stupid he is....I can't imagine he will sign for 5/70 when he will definitely be able to get more than that elsewhere. And i am not talking 1 million a year more either.

Archived