Ongoing lineup thread for 2013

Aglets

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is just no rational reasoning that I have heard to explain why Roberts is starting over Casilla and batting leadoff.

The answer is Roberts is viewed as a starter and Casilla is a bench player. Casilla is not a platoon player anymore. That's just reality.

I don't disagree that he's in the lineup because of politics and because He's Brian Roberts. I'm not arguing that. I'm just arguing that the case for Casilla in this instance isn't very strong because the matchups are so close and because Casilla is a weapon off the bench so it makes sense to save him and maybe replace Roberts late in the game. I know you believe Roberts' track record as a superior hitter to Casilla is pretty much null and void at this point. But I don't see you making the case for any other regular to be replaced by a bench guy. You want Reimold to bat higher, but his history against Buehrle is equally null and void given the way he looks right now.

But do I think that a healthy, 35-year old Brian Roberts is a better hitter than Alexi Casilla in almost any scenario that doesn't involve bunting? Yes, of course I do. You can't play matchups every single game. Brian Roberts is going to give you a quality AB, he can take a walk, and he and has power.

I don't want Reimold to bat higher. I am saying that if you are going by past history against tonight's starting pitcher then Reimold would be a better choice then Roberts to lead off.

I have always felt that we need another stat. Since most hitters make outs at least 70% of the time, the relative value of those outs should be accurately measured. I'm sure most ML teams keep charts on this, but there is not much to be found that is not proprietary. A 10 P K(Roberts?) is more useful than a 3 P comebacker to the pitcher(Casilla?), for example. I'd much prefer the guy who will give me the 10 P K. How will you know that by looking at OBP?

I have always felt that we need another stat. Since most hitters make outs at least 70% of the time, the relative value of those outs should be accurately measured. I'm sure most ML teams keep charts on this, but there is not much to be found that is not proprietary. A 10 P K(Roberts?) is more useful than a 3 P comebacker to the pitcher(Casilla?), for example. I'd much prefer the guy who will give me the 10 P K. How will you know that by looking at OBP?

137 out of 161 qualifiers (85%) have an OBP over 300. 103 our of 161 qualifiers (64%) have an OBP of 320 or above.

137 out of 161 qualifiers (85%) have an OBP over 300. 103 our of 161 qualifiers (64%) have an OBP of 320 or above.
Do most ML players qualify for the batting title? What % do? But be that as it may, I think you understand my point, but are simply trolling again. I keep hoping you have something intelligent to offer, but am always mad at myself for taking you off of ignore.

Do most ML players qualify for the batting title? What % do? But be that as it may, I think you understand my point, but are simply trolling again. I keep hoping you have something intelligent to offer, but am always mad at myself for taking you off of ignore.

I think reducing the pool to qualifiers makes a lot more sense then including every relief pitcher that has managed an at bat this season.

Although Josh Johnson has a 4.62 E.R.A. and a 1.508 W.H.I.P., he also has 60 strikeouts in 60.33 innings pitched this season.

BALTIMORE ORIOLES O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 7/14)

Nate McLouth - LF

Manny Machado - 3B

Nick Markakis - RF

Adam Jones - CF

Chris Davis - 1B

Matt Wieters - C

J.J. Hardy - SS

Chris Dickerson - DH

Brian Roberts - 2B

Scott Feldman- RHP (7-7, 3.87 ERA)

(0-1, 7.15 ERA) [ORIOLES] O (7-6, 3.46 ERA) [CUBS]

OPPOSING PITCHER

Josh Johnson - RHP (1-4, 4.62 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

Although Josh Johnson has a 4.62 E.R.A. and a 1.508 W.H.I.P., he also has 60 strikeouts in 60.33 innings pitched this season.

BALTIMORE ORIOLES O (vs. BLUE JAYS, 7/14)

Nate McLouth - LF

Manny Machado - 3B

Nick Markakis - RF

Adam Jones - CF

Chris Davis - 1B

Matt Wieters - C

J.J. Hardy - SS

Chris Dickerson - DH

Brian Roberts - 2B

Scott Feldman- RHP (7-7, 3.87 ERA)

(0-1, 7.15 ERA) [ORIOLES] O (7-6, 3.46 ERA) [CUBS]

OPPOSING PITCHER