Ongoing lineup thread for 2013

Aglets

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is Manny batting leadoff? Why is Valencia batting cleanup? Why isn't Nick or Roberts batting leadoff? Why is Jones batting second? At this time of the year its time to stop playing with the lineup. Morse in LF?

Why in the world would Nick lead off? Or Roberts? Why wouldn't we play Morse against a lefty whom he has solid numbers against? Let's hear some arguments.

Why is Manny batting leadoff? Why is Valencia batting cleanup? Why isn't Nick or Roberts batting leadoff? Why is Jones batting second? At this time of the year its time to stop playing with the lineup. Morse in LF?

So you don't like batting your hottest hitter in the #4 hole. Who happens to own Price in his career.

And you are upset that two guys that aren't doing much aren't leading off?

Manny is in a worse slump. He doesn't need to be batting first. Nobody on the team is hot right now, except Valencia, but I don't think that merits batting cleanup. He hasn't had that many at bats to be proven but I would like to see him get a lot more playing time at some point.

I see the bottom of the lineup scoring some runs today. Casilla at least brings speed and puts pressure on the defense and pitcher. Now just some random lineup thoughts of mine.

Markakis looks to be done. He's not hitting line drives this year. Someone posted in an earlier thread how is pop up rate as increased dramatically this year. He seems to be afraid to go to two strikes now, maybe he knows his bat speed is gone. I've never seen him consistently have bad at bats until this year.

Weiters should give up switch hitting. The guy just looks so much better right handed. He hits the ball with to the gaps with way more authority batting RH. But any player would be stupid to give up switch hitting before they signed their first FA deal so that's not going to happen.

How much are we willing to give Mcclouth to bring him back. He has something like 6 steals since the first 2 months of the year. Not only that but he is the definition of a platoon LHB. I wouldn't go higher than 2/8 for him and maybe we should look to upgrade that position since the only positions free to upgrade our DH and LF.

BALTIMORE ORIOLES O (vs. D-RAYS, 9/22)

Nate McLouth - LF

Manny Machado - 3B

Chris Davis - 1B

Adam Jones - CF

Nick Markakis - RF

J.J. Hardy - SS

Danny Valencia - DH

Steve Clevenger - C

Alexi Casilla - 2B

Miguel Gonzalez - RHP (10-7, 3.92 ERA)

OPPOSING PITCHER

Alex Cobb - RHP (9-3, 3.02 ERA)

http://baseballpress.com/lineup.php

No rest for the weary. Of all the players last night I thought Roberts looked pretty spry. At least replace him with Flash. I'd rest Markakis and play Henry in RF.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>After 27 innings in less than 24 hours, the Orioles get Enny Romero pumping 93-98 mph</p>— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) <a href="

">September 22, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Remember how Matty Moore jumped on to the scene in '11? I have a feeling something similar is about to happen with <a href="https://twitter.com/EnnyRomeroTB">@EnnyRomeroTB</a> today.</p>— Chris Archer (@ChrisArcher42) <a href="

Romero throws hard but he's not Matt Moore. Moore was a strikeout king in the minors. Romero 110 strikeouts and 73 walks in 140 innings at AA. If he was a RHP I'd like our chances since, despite the velocity, he apparently doesn't have a strikeout pitch (great breaking pitch or changeup) and his control is shaky. The O's, IMO, are a fastball hitting team. If we weren't in a hitting slump, I'd say we should get to this guy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Romero's line: 4 2/3 IP, 1 H, 4 BBs. 70 pitches, 38 strikes. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> trail 1-0</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

And yet 0 runs.

No rest for the weary. Good chance the bench gets to play against the Jays since they are not in contention either.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> lineup: Roberts DH, Machado 5, Davis 3, Jones 8, Markakis 9, Wieters 2, McLouth 7, Hardy 6, Flaherty 4. Chen SP</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">September 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

Archived