So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would you define as the old Brob that you'd want 75% of? The 2010 Brob? If so, the 2012 Casilla was better.

We'd all like Brob to be good again, but many of us like look at things realistically. 35 year old middle aged infielders don't age well. We've got way more issues than just that.

So you just pick out the one of his concussion-riddled seasons to prove your point? To give you credit at least you picked the injured-laden season with the most ABs, that makes it more credible, right?

C'mon man. Why not go back one more season to 2009 where he hit 56 doubles, had an OBP of .350 and stole 30 bases for us? Or the year before in 2008 when he had a WAR of over 5? Yes, I would take 75% of that over Alexi Casilla, a 28 year old with a career OPS of what... .630?

Seriously, all that most of you want to do is gripe about the past 3 seasons where the man could barely get out of bed without being dizzy.

I've been rooting for him to come back since day 1. Now I'm rooting for him more than ever so most of you can eat crow.

From what I've read, 95% of this board is pessimistic about BRob. About 75% of this board thinks he's completely done and we'd be better off running out Alexi Casilla out there (that just blows my mind). I'd rather have 75% of the old BRob (yes with the average defense) than 100% of Alexi Casilla, Navarro or Flaherty.

I think the biggest advantage of having him back is that pitchers will have to start thinking again when he's on the basepaths. Let's face it, no one on this team makes pitchers think. Roberts might not be as fast as he used to be, but he's still one of the smartest base runners in the game and makes pitchers nervous - as evidenced by today in the 1st.

Casilla stole 21 bases in 22 attempts last year.

With that healthy .603 OPS

You were trying to say that no Oriole player could "makes pitchers think". I think 21 of 22 is ponder worthy. Roberts, in his career, has never stolen at such a high percentage.

If you want to bring up baserunning you would be well served to have your facts straight.

You were trying to say that no Oriole player could "makes pitchers think". I think 21 of 22 is ponder worthy. Roberts, in his career, has never stolen at such a high percentage.

If you want to bring up baserunning you would be well served to have your facts straight.

Well I'm sorry I misunderstood you. But you quoted my entire post and my main point was about me rather having 75% of the old Brian Roberts out there instead of the 100% Casilla. Next time bold the part you were giving your rebuttal to.

I like his speed, but Roberts' potential offensive production and good base running far outweighs the stolen base, an over-rated stat to begin with. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

I was responding to another poster's comments about speed.

I think you know me well enough to know I am not a huge SB guy.

With that healthy .603 OPS. I wonder how many SB he would have if his OBP wasn't .280

He can be our pinch runner :)

Odd how you keep wanting to talk about what Roberts did four and five years ago but at the same time you are fixated with Cassila's down year last year. Admittedly he doesn't have the bat Roberts had in his prime but he does have some league average years with the bat which is pretty good when you factor in the upgrade in speed and defense.

So like, what's the coolest thing about Roberts now - his lack of range or terrible throwing arm or declining speed or lack of power or old age or inability to stay healthy or huge contract or that he's blocking young players or...

He wasn't lacking any power today. And because he made a bad throw today he has a terrible throwing arm? You don't need a gun when you're playing second base and inaccuracy can be fixed. And who exactly is he blocking this year?

Weaver used to stick with veterans until the All Star break, then make a change if need be. That was one of the big reasons as to why the Orioles of old were better in the second half. Personally, I think Brian Roberts will get every chance and then some to find himself. And I think he will.

He wasn't lacking any power today. And because he made a bad throw today he has a terrible throwing arm? You don't need a gun when you're playing second base and inaccuracy can be fixed. And who exactly is he blocking this year?

He has had a bad throwing arm since he got hurt in 2005. In fact his lack of arm strength is why he got moved off Short Stop in the first place.

Archived