Brawl in Dodgers/Padres Game: Greinke injured

Dipper9

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20130412/DA5JSRNG2.html

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Zack Greinke had his left arm in a sling and a dazed look on his face as he told his side of the story. Barely two hours before, the $147 million Dodgers pitcher was injured in a wild fight with the San Diego Padres that didn't even end when the game did.

Greinke broke his left collarbone in a bench-clearing brawl during Los Angeles' 3-2 victory Thursday night, leaving the Dodgers so furious that Matt Kemp confronted Padres slugger Carlos Quentin nose-to-nose as the two were leaving Petco Park.

Juan Uribe's pinch-hit home run in the eighth put the Dodgers ahead, two innings after Greinke hit Quentin on the left shoulder with a pitch.

The slugger started walking toward the mound and Greinke appeared to say something. The 6-foot-2, 240-pound Quentin then charged the 2009 AL Cy Young Award winner, who is 6-2 and 195 pounds. They dropped their shoulders and collided, and Quentin tackled the pitcher to the grass.

Its bad but if you watch the video its hard to think Greinke didnt bring this on himself. I am guessing rules changes will be coming. Much like what happened to Quarterbacks in the NFL. When money starts getting hurt people suddenly care.

With my belief that money makes the world go round. I think that this might lead baseball to really raise the stakes in punishing brawlers.

Greinke really seemed to bring this on himself.

Huh? How did Greinke bring this on himself? It was a one run ball game in the sixth inning, first batter of the inning, a 3-2 count. There was no way Greinke was trying to hit Quentin, regardless of their past.

I see both sides; Quentin is (according to the article) the most beaned player since 2008. He was hit last night by Belisario. I can see why he was steamed.

I don't think Greinke hit him on purpose. Quentin should have taken his base and I'm not sure I see why he was mad at Greinke.

Its bad but if you watch the video its hard to think Greinke didnt bring this on himself. I am guessing rules changes will be coming. Much like what happened to Quarterbacks in the NFL. When money starts getting hurt people suddenly care.

I don't believe for an instant that Greinke hit him on purpose. That would be monumentally stupid given the situation. If your argument is because he said something to rile Quentin up, well I have to disagree with you on that account as well. It is incredibly immature and childish and stupid to attack a guy over some petty words. Quentin needs to grow up.

I see both sides; Quentin is (according to the article) the most beaned player since 2008. He was hit last night by Belisario. I can see why he was steamed.

I don't think Greinke hit him on purpose. Quentin should have taken his base and I'm not sure I see why he was mad at Greinke.

Quentin gets beaned so much because he crowds the plate and some believe he "dives into" the ball. There is now reason in the world Greinke would try and bean him in this situation.

Greinke's mistake was lowering his shoulder as Quentin was charging at him.

Note to Zack: Quentin outweighs you by 50+ pounds.

This is it. He should never of lowered his shoulder. He got way more than he bargained for.

But does anyone doubt Asians are smarter than us? Look at what this pitcher does. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/1019783/?autoplay=true

Or this old classic. Listen to the sound track. LOL

I don't blame them. Mattingly is correct, quentin should not return until Greinke is back. Imagine how you'd feel if this happened to Bundy or Gausman.

I agree with this line of thinking. If you cause an injury during a brawl you are suspended until said injured player is reinstated.

Archived