Jones Bases Loaded Drop

jabba72

Oh, he knows. In my earlier post I said he had timed the blowing of the bubble to coincide with making the catch. It was planned and it would look cool on the highlight reel. Well, it made the highlight reel but for all the wrong reasons.

You think that catch would of made highlight reels? Bubblegate is getting out of hand.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you even manage to get the gum out of his mouth, he's still going to make these kinds of plays. And when he does, you're going to notice that he sticks his tongue out, or even purses his lips like he's trying to blow a bubble...because he's done it for so long it's completely unconscious. As for your "go pop some gum in your mouth and try to make a catch" argument, section18, that is fallacy for a simple reason: me, or you, or most likely anybody else here hasn't spent 3+ hours a day chomping on gum for near a decade. Of course WE'D have trouble with it. And if Jones only started noticeably chewing gum, it'd be applicable. I'll actually put forth the argument that he started doing it at a younger level as a way to showboat. And then it became complete habit by the time he hit the minors. So much a part of the routine that it doesn't even occur to him what he's doing.

Newsflash: he catches 99% (rough guess, I don't feel like doing the math) of the balls hit to him. He doesn't only blow the bubbles when he drops the damn thing. If you just want him to stop because you don't like it, fine, but don't forth an argument that the gum is what causes the drops when it would just be as easy to say the gum helps him make every other catch he makes. Not to mention he has obvious other tics involved in making a catch that are clearly more detrimental than the stupid gum. Like always wanting to "glide" in to a catch (which IS showboating), or his terrible fundamentals with the one arm catching. Feel free to harp all over those actual problems with his fielding consistency, and forget about the gum.

If Jones were to run hard and focus .. He would have been able to stand underneath the ball, catch it, and blow 2 bubbles.

He tried to make it look easy and guess what happened, he looked like a fool and cost us the game.

The wall excuse is bogus... He's been playing CF enough at New Yankee stadium to know where it is and it also was not the bubble gum.. its like what everyone else says .. A mental lapse in judgment.

Hopefully he learns from this mistake.

I haven't said the bubble blowing is a problem although I don't like it. However, if you're going to say it's not a problem because he catches 99% of the balls then why is gliding or the one handed catch a problem? Like you said, he catches 99%!

Because those are actually bad things directly involved in making a catch in baseball, mainly. He's got a 2 or 3 very bad habits on a primary level, focus on them before getting all pissy about a secondary, maybe even tertiary, thing he does unconsciously. If he was somehow coached up (not going to happen at this point, not completely) and started looking like the most fundamentally sound CF in years, and he still dropped the occasional fly, THEN focus on the stuff like the gum. That was the basic point.

You think that catch would of made highlight reels? Bubblegate is getting out of hand.

Sure. Tight game. Late. Bases loaded. Warning track catch to end the threat.

It doesn't matter. He made the highlight reel anyway.

The never ending debate on Adam Jones' bubblegum.

Maybe for those who believe that Jones shouldn't be blowing bubbles while playing centerfield, perhaps they can blow Adam's bubble for him.

I applaud you sir. It takes talent to skirt the very edge of a bizarre innuendo like that. :D

I don't care about the bubblegum, if I had to guess I'd say it doesn't impact his focus. He just has to make those catches. He won two GOLD GLOVES for crying out loud. You never saw Junior Griffey miss those...

What did Griffey, miss, then? He made 89 errors in his career.

All of this bubble talk is freaking non-sense.

The man blows bubbles while also making some of the greatest catches you'll ever see. It's instinctual and Buck will never tell him to stop.

The problem is he tried to make the play look easier than it was. He could have easily gotten behind the ball. I didn't read or hear post game comments, but I hope he owned up to it.

When it comes to Adam (and last week Chris Davis), Ill take the good with the bad.

Archived