Disappointed in attendance?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pathetic still when so much of the crowd are Yankee fans. What a joke of a fanbase

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

What do you have a third grade education? Look at the attendance at Camden Yards when Washington didn't have a team and the Orioles put a decent product on the field. I am no Angelos fan but he was right about the attendance damage a team in DC would do to his franchise. It is common sense.

If Baltimore is a joke of a franchise what are Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Oakland, Kansas City, and Tampa Bay? All contenders with lower attendance figures than Baltimore.

and there wasn't a Redskins MNF game to blame...

Dan Connolly ‏@danconnollysun

att: 20,141

It's embarrassing. If the premium prices are responsible, I hope Angelos is satisfied. Critical game against our arch rival in a playoff race and we can't fill half our stadium.

It's embarrassing. If the premium prices are responsible, I hope Angelos is satisfied. Critical game against our arch rival in a playoff race and we can't fill half our stadium.
I really doubt he has changed since he made this statement 8 years ago.
The past six games with the Red Sox and Yankees have exposed an irritating issue for some club officials and players. A majority of the fans who have come to the Camden Yards have supported the opposing team. Angelos said he has noticed the trend, but is not as bothered by as some of his Orioles contemporaries.

"We don't mind that," he said. "The fans who come to support their team bring their children with them. They are not a bunch of rowdies. Many bring their entire family to the ballpark, and I think that's a compliment to the game of baseball. They patronize the merchants and the local business. And soon we'll get the fans back, because we'll make the necessary moves and acquisitions to compete favorably."

No. My ire is directed toward Baltimore's fans that don't try to support their baseball team.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk 2

You know, I'm gonna come right out and say this to you and those like you....you're really starting to piss me off. I get to about 20 games a year, so I'm not the guy you're talking to, but it ticks me off anyway. You don't know what people are doing, and you can't make general comments about the overall fandom of people because YOU think they should be at the Yard. I was there last night. You can send your smirky little picture sitting in the cheapest seats in the Park to show how "empty" it was if you choose, but the Yard was rocking last night. You might not have been able to hear that though sitting up at blimp level. The Orioles fans were into the game and very loud. Every time the Yankees fans started a chant, we drowned them out immediately. The crowd is not the reason the Orioles aren't winning, but yet year after year, night after night, people come on here complaining about how our fans suck. Well you know what, I've had enough of it. Tell Tampa and their 9K the other night that THEY suck. Better yet, tell the Red Sox fans in Tampa, cause that was Fenway South if I have ever seen it last night. Tell the Indians who are tied with us and drawing 15K that THEY suck. Forget it. This whole post will be met with arrogance and a smart ass response anyway, so I don't know why I'm wasting my time.

By the way, the whole idea that "people within 30 minutes should be there" is a joke! I get up at 430am for work every day. I live 30 minutes from the Yard. On my weeknight games I get home anywhere from 11 to 1130 at night. And I leave the Yard immediately when the last out is made. No small talk. No glad handing. Game over, down the stairs. So here I sit with about 4 and a half hours of sleep last night, back at work and expected to do a good job. Yeah, great!

But hey, I live 30 minutes from the Stadium, so I SHOULD do it every night, right? :rolleyes:

You know, I'm gonna come right out and say this to you and those like you....you're really starting to piss me off. I get to about 20 games a year, so I'm not the guy you're talking to, but it ticks me off anyway. You don't know what people are doing, and you can't make general comments about the overall fandom of people because YOU think they should be at the Yard. I was there last night. You can send your smirky little picture sitting in the cheapest seats in the Park to show how "empty" it was if you choose, but the Yard was rocking last night. You might not have been able to hear that though sitting up at blimp level. The Orioles fans were into the game and very loud. Every time the Yankees fans started a chant, we drowned them out immediately. The crowd is not the reason the Orioles aren't winning, but yet year after year, night after night, people come on here complaining about how our fans suck. Well you know what, I've had enough of it. Tell Tampa and their 9K the other night that THEY suck. Better yet, tell the Red Sox fans in Tampa, cause that was Fenway South if I have ever seen it last night. Tell the Indians who are tied with us and drawing 15K that THEY suck. Forget it. This whole post will be met with arrogance and a smart ass response anyway, so I don't know why I'm wasting my time.

By the way, the whole idea that "people within 30 minutes should be there" is a joke! I get up at 430am for work every day. I live 30 minutes from the Yard. On my weeknight games I get home anywhere from 11 to 1130 at night. And I leave the Yard immediately when the last out is made. No small talk. No glad handing. Game over, down the stairs. So here I sit with about 4 and a half hours of sleep last night, back at work and expected to do a good job. Yeah, great!

But hey, I live 30 minutes from the Stadium, so I SHOULD do it every night, right? :rolleyes:

By the way, I didn't even mention my daughter's soccer game that I missed last night, because, you know, being a parent isn't as important as going to a baseball game!!!! :angryfire:

I haven't read the entire thread and it's somewhat of a moot point but if you took 40% of the Nats attendance (assuming that 40% would go to O's games) and added it to this years attendance the figure would be right around where it was in the 90's. I think those attendance numbers are gone barring a few World Series appearances. Another team right down the road would affect most teams figures.

Let's not forget, most people have a pretty darn good cheap seat sitting at home and watching the game on their high definition TV.

Yeah, but there's nothing like being at the ballpark.

I was thinking to myself this morning, "If we had packed the Yard on Tuesday and Wednesday, could the O's have won those two games? Would more crowd support help them to win?" I guess that's unknowable. I tend to think crowd support helps a team a little, but it's hard to say how much.

I haven't read the entire thread and it's somewhat of a moot point but if you took 40% of the Nats attendance (assuming that 40% would go to O's games) and added it to this years attendance the figure would be right around where it was in the 90's. I think those attendance numbers are gone barring a few World Series appearances. Another team right down the road would affect most teams figures.

Here's what I don't get: in 2005, the Nats were already in DC, and they drew 2.73 mm fans while we drew 2.62 mm. The Nats will draw less than 2.73 mm this year, so there is no reason to think they are taking more fans away from the Orioles now that they did in 2005. And yet, we aren't going to draw anything close to the 2.62 mm we drew in 2005. I'm really pretty surprised that attendance hasn't returned to at least that level after two years of being in the playoff race and all the excitement last year caused.

Yeah, but there's nothing like being at the ballpark.

I was thinking to myself this morning, "If we had packed the Yard on Tuesday and Wednesday, could the O's have won those two games? Would more crowd support help them to win?" I guess that's unknowable. I tend to think crowd support helps a team a little, but it's hard to say how much.

I agree with Tony. The comforts of home, icy cold beer, and a HD home theater setup is pretty hard to beat.

It's sad, and I think incorrect, to think that players will play better if the crowd is bigger. Does a big crowd increase the player's WTW?

Archived