2013 ERA: 7.20

* Gausman's Career Major League Debut

PITCHES BY INNINGS

18 (13 Strikes)

18 (12 Strikes)

15 (81 Strikes)

21 (13 Strikes)

17 (12 Strikes)

Reality hits. Does he get another start?

Are you kidding? What reality are you talking about? The one where he sits 97-99, Ks some of the best bats in the AL, and makes one mistake for a homer?

FFS, what were you expecting, a perfect game? It's the kid's major league debut.

And despite our team having starters which are much more experienced, I honestly don't think anyone else on the staff right now -- even the injured ones -- could do any better than Gausman did tonight. Maybe they would go an inning deeper into the game, but anyone can make a mistake. Even Justin Verlander. No, I think your "reality" needs a reality check.

Look at his pitch counts. Nothing like what you'd see from Arrieta, or Hammel on a bad day, or Chen on a bad day, or Tillman on any day, or Garcia on any day, etc. He had low pitch counts, recorded outs efficiently, threw hard strikes, and minimized damage in an inning with the bases loaded and no outs.

Yeah, I think he'll get another start. Or maybe 10.

Kid looks like a keeper to me. A mistake on location to Arencibia but he made a lot of good pitches. Sure would like to see Wieters call for more inside fastballs when the kid is throwing 95-97.

Especially with the way his FB breaks. They kept going outside to LH. Bust them inside and make that FB break back over the plate.

Also, he'll need the slider to be more consistent so he has a quality pitch that breaks the opposite way of his FB and change.

Gausman allowed a lot of hits in the minors (almost one per inning.) He allowed a lot of hits today, plus two walks. Some of the pitch calls were questionable, but the results were still seven hits, including three extra base hits (all of which came in his last two innings of work.) He'll learn from this, and move on.

Kid looks like a keeper to me. A mistake on location to Arencibia but he made a lot of good pitches. Sure would like to see Wieters call for more inside fastballs when the kid is throwing 95-97.

Arencibia was on his fastball all game. But, man, I'm impressed. Good outing, tough results. Might have to get tix for the nats game on Tues

Gausman is going to have to really be terrible to be sent back down now. Fortunately, I was very encouraged by what I saw tonight. Comfortably in the mid to upper 90s, I thought he did well for a first Major League start.

If Arrieta or Garcia made the exact same start, there would be calls to get him outta the rotation.

Are you kidding? What reality are you talking about? The one where he sits 97-99, Ks some of the best bats in the AL, and makes one mistake for a homer?

FFS, what were you expecting, a perfect game? It's the kid's major league debut.

And despite our team having starters which are much more experienced, I honestly don't think anyone else on the staff right now -- even the injured ones -- could do any better than Gausman did tonight. Maybe they would go an inning deeper into the game, but anyone can make a mistake. Even Justin Verlander. No, I think your "reality" needs a reality check.

Look at his pitch counts. Nothing like what you'd see from Arrieta, or Hammel on a bad day, or Chen on a bad day, or Tillman on any day, or Garcia on any day, etc. He had low pitch counts, recorded outs efficiently, threw hard strikes, and minimized damage in an inning with the bases loaded and no outs.

Yeah, I think he'll get another start. Or maybe 10.

If Arrieta or Garcia made the exact same start, there would be calls to get him outta the rotation.

True, but also meaningless. I'm also sure that if Nick Markakis went 0 for his next 20, people would be more patient than if Chris Dickerson did the same thing.

Archived