Kevin Gausman Today, 2013

OFFNY

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way. Matusz is still a very good RP. He's definitely better than Belfiore or whomever.

He doesn't have to be down there more than the 10 days to call someone back up, but he hasn't been pitching well lately and the Orioles need a fresh arm. If you call up Rauch or Ascencio in his spot, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

He doesn't have to be down there more than the 10 days to call someone back up, but he hasn't been pitching well lately and the Orioles need a fresh arm. If you call up Rauch or Ascencio in his spot, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

You'd keep Strop over Matusz?

No, I would send them both out, but we can send Matusz out without exposing him to waivers.

That sounds reasonable. I would get Matusz back up here ASAP (10 days as you said) but in the meantime I'm sure we have some spare parts in AAA who could record a few outs. Definitely we have pitchers better than Strop in the organization. Considering how overworked our bullpen is, and how rare it is to find effective relievers this year (we have approximately 3 and a half relievers who are truly effective), my standard for relief pitchers right now is "better than Strop is right now". Is Rauch better than Strop is now? Yes? Bring him up! Is Ascencio better than Strop is now? Yes? Let's get a look at him! You get the idea.

Only reason I'd send Matusz down is that he's seen a lot of work and has been slumping a bit. He's not as epically bad as Strop of course, and not melting down as acutely as Jim Johnson did for four consecutive games, but he's losing that crispness that made him sensational out of the bullpen in '12 and earlier this year. But I'd want him back soon. He doesn't need all that much time to bounce back, I don't think.

Gausman needs a third pitch if he's going to be successful, and he shouldn't be working on it at the MLB level. Batters are hitting almost .500 against the slider, its a terrible pitch and without a 3rd pitch, he should be in the pen. Bring Britton up if you insist on keeping Gausman on the big club. I'd have him down in Bowie throwing tons of sliders in game until he gets a feel for it.

Optioning Matusz has to be an option as well.

Matusz was forced to face multiple switch hitters and get multiple innings of batters out.

I don't blame matusz for struggling last night he got out of the inning gausman couldn't finish. That should have been it for him right there.

Optioning matusz is complete insanity , he's our best lefty reliever. Absurd suggestion all the way around.

Gausman needs a third pitch if he's going to be successful, and he shouldn't be working on it at the MLB level. Batters are hitting almost .500 against the slider, its a terrible pitch and without a 3rd pitch, he should be in the pen. Bring Britton up if you insist on keeping Gausman on the big club. I'd have him down in Bowie throwing tons of sliders in game until he gets a feel for it.

No way he should be in the pen.

He definitely needs to work on the slider, best way to do that is to throw it a lot in game situations but he needs to do it at Bowie or Norfolk because he can't learn on the job if it keeps getting belted at the major league level while he "works on it".

Archived