Weaver Ejected, I mean Buck Ejected

BillySmith

What? Why? They got the call right eventually. Davis would almost certainly have been out anyway. My only beef is that the Jays arguing seemed to be what overturned the call.

well, with that logic why have the infielder even throw the ball to first base on an easy ground ball because "he would almost certainly have been out anyway."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no question that Davis missed the ball, and that he should have been called out in the first place.

But there was no legitimate basis for overturning the original call. You can't tell me that an umpire 100 feet away had a better view of that particular play than the home plate umpire. The call was overturned because the Blue Jays argued and because there was circumstantial evidence in the form of Davis' running towards first base. So the umps may have gotten the right result, but the process was all wrong, and the same wrong process could easily lead to horribly wrong results in a different situation.

Buck had every right to be furious.

They got the call right when they conferred and said that Davis didn't foul tip it.

No they got the call wrong. The play was dead. You can't call the ball foul and everyone stop playing and then go back and try to fix your bad call. They made two mistakes. The first one was a minor mistake. The second one was horrible. If you make mistakes like the second on you shouldn't be umpiring in the bigs. That is as bad as the one where the umpires didn't know that a pitcher didn't have to pitch to a batter.

This is what Buck said : "“He called a dead ball,” Showalter said. “You can’t have an out on a dead ball. It’s pretty obvious. He called it foul and its rolling out by the on-deck circle. He killed the play. I asked him why Chris stopped. I don’t think the umpires considered the fact that two wrongs don’t make a right."

Just wanted to put this out there, because I was wondering about this aspect of the whole ordeal (in this specific situation - dropped third strike). I was really surprised that the announcers never touched on it, because I'm not sure it's an obvious rule, especially to the casual fan.

Rule 5.09(g) Comment: If a foul tip hits the umpire and is caught by a fielder on the rebound, the ball is ?dead? and the batsman cannot be called out. The same shall apply where such foul tip lodges in the umpire?s mask or other paraphernalia.

If a third strike (not a foul tip) passes the catcher and hits an umpire, the ball is in play. If such ball rebounds and is caught by a fielder before it touches the ground, the batsman is not out on such a catch, but the ball remains in play and the batsman may be retired at first base, or touched with the ball for the out.

That being said, it's quite ridiculous that he called the play dead, then reversed and assumed the continuation of the play, all as a result of arguing from the Jay's.

That happens 3-4 times a season? Maybe on a passed ball, but I don't know that I've ever seen the catcher take a routine ball the dirt on strike three and throw it down the RF line.

You know what I'm saying. You can just make assumptions on what will happen.

You know what I'm saying. You can just make assumptions on what will happen.

No? The umps have to make a judgment call on what they think would have happened in the case of fan interference. The official scorer is asked to reconstruct entire innings on the basis of what he thinks would have happened if the error hadn't occurred, impacting player stats, almost certainly changing batting titles and RBI leaders and the like. Baseball does not have a hard-and-fast prohibition on wouldas and shouldas.

No? The umps have to make a judgment call on what they think would have happened in the case of fan interference. The official scorer is asked to reconstruct entire innings on the basis of what he thinks would have happened if the error hadn't occurred, impacting player stats, almost certainly changing batting titles and RBI leaders and the like. Baseball does not have a hard-and-fast prohibition on wouldas and shouldas.

That's due to circumstances beyond their control. Much different situation.

Well, there's Merkle's boner as precedent. He was called out after the game had ended, when the play at 2B was made using some random ball while fans were on the field.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I think I've gone far enough down this rabbit hole. I can't get all up in arms about the O's getting screwed on a call that the umps eventually got right because the result of the initially messed up call could have had a 1-in-1000 chance of benefiting the Orioles. If you tried to explain this to a casual fan they'd probably chuckle and say "Didn't Davis strike out? What are you complaining about?"

Archived