Bundy had a setback

WalkingDead

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to hear Nolan Ryan or Jim Palmer comment on these guidelines

I think latin america players are more advanced (especially arm strength, see Cespedes, Puig many others) because they don't have these guidelines. They just go out and play baseball everyday like we did in America in the 60's and 70's

Yes your absolutely right. Orthopods who spend their entire careers examining injuries such as these and doing surgery to correct them have nothing on you.

First off we have no idea how many players in that era had their careers ruined by overuse. In an era when guys were not getting multimillion dollar bonuses they were not as prized as assets. For every Palmer, Ryan, blah blah how many other guys ended up with their careers over at 20?

By all means ignore the science. You prob believe the earth is 6,000 yrs old, evolution is a sham and world is flat.

He did. It could also be a slap in the face to whomever allowed him to throw 183 pitches in a day while he was in high school. And then 110 more over the next 3 days.

That would be Dylan Bundy, Denver Bundy, and the coaching staff. All were on board with the decision and all discussed the situation.

I'd like to hear Nolan Ryan or Jim Palmer comment on these guidelines

I think latin america players are more advanced (especially arm strength, see Cespedes, Puig many others) because they don't have these guidelines. They just go out and play baseball everyday like we did in America in the 60's and 70's

I don't think the issues with pitchers and the issues with outfielders are very similar. If there was a huge influx of Latin American starting pitchers, then that might be something to look at.

The only elite hispanic starting pitchers are Anibal Sanchez and Felix Hernandez and both were signed by ML ballclubs by the time they were 16 or 17.

Edit: Jose Fernandez was signed at 16. Ervin Santana was signed at 17

Did you ever wonder why the pitchers in the LLWS never make it to the big leagues as pitchers? It's because their parents and coaches abuse their arms by overusing them and having them throw breaking balls when they're way too young. Bundy was overused in high school (I mean...way overused), and now he has an arm issue.

Unfortunately too many high school and college coaches are only worried about winning, so these guidelines aren't followed now. Palmer has said many times that he and others in his generation had less wear and tear on their arms because they played other sports. Kids these days (in warmer climates) play year round. That kind of overuse causes so many injuries, and it's just maddening that parents can't figure this out.

Where is the evidence that Bundy was "way overused" in high school? He was closely monitored by his father, who had a huge say in Bundy's training and implementation, both in HS and with his travel team.

As I noted above, the Bundy's were not only on board, but a big part of the decision-making process in determining Dylan's usage. The bolded isn't an accurate portrayal of this situation.

Finally, I think your thoughts re: full season ball have some truth and some fallacy. Some kids are run down and overused. Many have "down time" from october to January where they may workout, but don't do any significant throwing. Most travel teams and high caliber programs are aware that down town is a must for prep arms.

Where is the evidence that Bundy was "way overused" in high school? He was closely monitored by his father, who had a huge say in Bundy's training and implementation, both in HS and with his travel team.

As I noted above, the Bundy's were not only on board, but a big part of the decision-making process in determining Dylan's usage. The bolded isn't an accurate portrayal of this situation.

Finally, I think your thoughts re: full season ball have some truth and some fallacy. Some kids are run down and overused. Many have "down time" from october to January where they may workout, but don't do any significant throwing. Most travel teams and high caliber programs are aware that down town is a must for prep arms.

The "way overused" part was obviously in reference to the week where they basically let him pitch until his arm fell off. It's unacceptable for a parent to allow their child to do that, especially with the arm Bundy has. Perhaps it was a bit of an exaggeration as it was a one-time thing, but still enough to damage his arm.

As for full season ball, I'm 100% just repeating what Jim Palmer said. Obviously if a pitcher's usage is monitored during that, it shouldn't be a problem.

The "way overused" part was obviously in reference to the week where they basically let him pitch until his arm fell off. It's unacceptable for a parent to allow their child to do that, especially with the arm Bundy has. Perhaps it was a bit of an exaggeration as it was a one-time thing, but still enough to damage his arm.

As for full season ball, I'm 100% just repeating what Jim Palmer said. Obviously if a pitcher's usage is monitored during that, it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think anyone has enough info to assign any import to that particular weekend (though I continued to note that weekend through his first year of pro ball). This was one long weekend three years ago and under circumstances closely monitored by his father (who, regardless of the validity of ALL of his thoughts on pitching, was constantly consulting with professionals).

Is it possible there was damage done then that never showed up during medicals over the last three years? Of course. But hardly a smoking gun, in my opinion.

I don't think anyone has enough info to assign any import to that particular weekend (though I continued to note that weekend through his first year of pro ball). This was one long weekend three years ago and under circumstances closely monitored by his father (who, regardless of the validity of ALL of his thoughts on pitching, was constantly consulting with professionals).

Is it possible there was damage done then that never showed up during medicals over the last three years? Of course. But hardly a smoking gun, in my opinion.

Most people praised Bundy's work ethic, unique training, overall conditioning, etc., up until the arm issues cropped up. If he hadn't gotten hurt, I imagine they'd still be praising his program.

The whole debate's just a matter of hindsight being what it is.

Duquette really tweeted this? That's a huge slap in the face to Mr. Bundy if so.

It's not Dan per se that tweets this. It is the Academy. Which is for youngsters. Had nothing to do with Bundy. Advise for kids. Not major leaguers.

https://twitter.com/danduquette

Premier Sports Facility in the Northeast for Youth Baseball Tournaments,Sports Specialty Camps + Team Development

Boston duquettesports.com

Pitchers get arm injuries. Pitchers who are closely monitored get arm injuries. Pitchers who are overused get arm injuries. Pitchers get arm injuries. We have posters blaming the O's. We have posters blaming the Bundys. There's no guarantee with pitchers' arms. Injuries are part of the equation.

Pitchers get arm injuries. Pitchers who are closely monitored get arm injuries. Pitchers who are overused get arm injuries. Pitchers get arm injuries. We have posters blaming the O's. We have posters blaming the Bundys. There's no guarantee with pitchers' arms. Injuries are part of the equation.

Jim Palmer had injuries. Bad enough to essentially threaten his career at age 21. We will just have to see. Bundy did not look the same to me this spring as he did early last season. I think he will get well at some point. It's not a shoulder.

Archived