Wieters hasn't thrown out a base stealer since June 13th (batting avg. 174 during that time)

O's are Legends

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's batting fifth against lefties. 6th against righties. Either way, it's too high. What's surprising is the lack of intentional walks Crush has. I'd be walking him every time unless the bases are loaded.

I dunno about that...feels like right now there's no reason to really throw Crush a strike. He's been whiffing steadily more and more lately.

I agree with the 845th version of this thread though, he should bat towards the bottom...but there's not really many options to bat ahead of him that are much better.

Seriously. We had a thread with this exact title in June. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/133518-Something-needs-to-be-done-about-Wieters?highlight=wieters And many, many threads making the same point as is made in the OP. Meanwhile, I realize Wieters stranded a boatload of runners today, but he also has two homers and two doubles in the last three games. It is fair enough to criticize Wieters' hitting, but we really don't need a new thread on this per week.

Thank you!!!!

I dunno about that...feels like right now there's no reason to really throw Crush a strike. He's been whiffing steadily more and more lately.

I agree with the 845th version of this thread though, he should bat towards the bottom...but there's not really many options to bat ahead of him that are much better.

Feels like it because he is. Kind of the same thing though. Don't throw strikes to Crush with Wieters behind him. Sadly, there's not a lot of better options- unless you switch Crush and Jones in the lineup. Don't see much sense in that though.

He still strikes me as a greedy guy. You gotta watch out for those quiet guys who don't say much and then try and break the bank. Boras can go kick rocks if he tries to pull a fast one over the front office in Arbitration in 2014 and free agency in 2016.

You don't know the first thing about Matt Wieters. Greedy? Get a life.

You don't know the first thing about Matt Wieters. Greedy? Get a life.

I would feel ashamed with my effort in the field after getting paid. Having by far the worst year of my career when I should be in my prime after you get paid millions. It looks bad.

I would feel ashamed with my effort in the field after getting paid. Having by far the worst year of my career when I should be in my prime after you get paid millions. It looks bad.

Ashamed of your effort? He is having a bad year. Some think he is hurt. You want him to give back money? You think he is not trying? Think about what you are saying...because he is not performing well he should be ashamed of his effort and he is greedy because he makes millions and is not "earning" it...seriously?

Maybe he is giving his best effort and he is struggling. When you have a bad day at work do you give your paycheck back? Probably not, so greedy.

Ashamed of your effort? He is having a bad year. Some think he is hurt. You want him to give back money? You think he is not trying? Think about what you are saying...because he is not performing well he should be ashamed of his effort and he is greedy because he makes millions and is not "earning" it...seriously?

Maybe he is giving his best effort and he is struggling. When you have a bad day at work do you give your paycheck back? Probably not, so greedy.

I've never said a bad word about Wieters once on this thread. Not one. I was letting it play out. I was ignoring all the criticism until a sizeable sample size. As we approach 100 games I'm starting to make an opinion.

I live in a world where the job is supposed to be done. I'm a performance guy. Especially when 5.5 million dollars wants you to perform.

I've never said a bad word about Wieters once on this thread. Not one. I was letting it play out. I was ignoring all the criticism until a sizeable sample size. As we approach 100 games I'm starting to make an opinion.

I live in a world where the job is supposed to be done. I'm a performance guy. Especially when 5.5 million dollars wants you to perform.

An opinion that Wieters is greedy? Of course he is not performing up to standards - you think that because he is not "earning" 5.5 million dollars from the club he should give it back?

Maybe you didn't mean this the way it sounds, but I don't see any way you can fault Wieters' effort. The guy is leading the league in innings caught by a pretty big margin, for the third year in a row. Wieters should be very proud of the effort he puts into the game. Do I wish he was hitting better? Sure. But I don't think a baseball player should be "ashamed" if he isn't hitting up to expectations. Just disappointed.

Maybe you didn't mean this the way it sounds, but I don't see any way you can fault Wieters' effort. The guy is leading the league in innings caught by a pretty big margin, for the third year in a row. Wieters should be very proud of the effort he puts into the game. Do I wish he was hitting better? Sure. But I don't think a baseball player should be "ashamed" if he isn't hitting up to expectations. Just disappointed.

Also...while acknowledging that this is an extremely simplified statement...it's fan attention that results, ultimately, in Wieters' paycheck. If anyone should be ashamed, it's...well, us.

It's not like Wieters isn't trying.

I think the former high draft picks who spend the bulk of their careers in the minors should be put in some kind of untouchable caste, maybe tattooed with an identifying mark, and forced to avert their eyes from the less shameful members of society as they pass by. You're right, performance is always 100% correlated to effort.

I think the former high draft picks who spend the bulk of their careers in the minors should be put in some kind of untouchable caste, maybe tattooed with an identifying mark, and forced to avert their eyes from the less shameful members of society as they pass by. You're right, performance is always 100% correlated to effort.

I'm sorry Hazewood, but I have to disagree.

I think said players should be executed via the electric chair. Players like that, who go around breaking the hearts of millions of Oriole fans everywhere have no place in our society.

He must have read your thread, because in the 5 games since it was started he's slashing .294/.400/.765/1.165. It sure would be nice if he could keep it going. With the way Jones(.593 OPS), Markakis(.666 OPS) and Hardy (.482 OPS) over the last two weeks a little burst of offense from Matt could sure help.

Archived