Wieters hasn't thrown out a base stealer since June 13th (batting avg. 174 during that time)

O's are Legends

I was thinking to myself it's been a while since Wieters threw someone out and decided to look it up. 8 straight successful attempts against Matt; could he truly be injured?

Obviously, there are other factors such as who was running, pitchers time to the plate, the type of pitch etc. but I can't recall a stretch where a ton of base runners in a row were successful stealing off of Matt.

This is not a bash Wieters thread, simply pointing out a possible cause of concern. If Wieters is injured, he should hit the DL.

Also, Since June 13th, Matt is 11-63 from the plate posting a .174 average at the plate. I know Wieters isn't Mauer with power but he's better than this both offensively and defensively. Something can't be right..

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He sure looks hurt, and it appears to be his right shoulder.

I have no idea why the O's continue to trot him out there when his offense is horrible and his defense is dropping off.

This is just the normal progression for catchers and why I'm glad he hasn't been extended

It may already be too late to trade him for much, but at least we won't be wasting money on a big extension.

With the way he hits he'll make a fine backup catcher in his 30's.

He sure looks hurt, and it appears to be his right shoulder.

I have no idea why the O's continue to trot him out there when his offense is horrible and his defense is dropping off.

This is just the normal progression for catchers and why I'm glad he hasn't been extended

It may already be too late to trade him for much, but at least we won't be wasting money on a big extension.

With the way he hits he'll make a fine backup catcher in his 30's.

Who else would you want out there? Teagarden? He may be hurt. All Star break

coming up so maybe those days off will help some.

It amazes me why you always want to bash an O's player especially Matt. for

some reason he seems to be your whipping boy. Why not try to support Wieters?

who else would you want out there? Teagarden? He may be hurt. All star break

It amazes me why you always want to bash an o's player especially matt. For

some reason he seems to be your whipping boy. Why not try to support wieters?

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who else would you want out there? Teagarden? He may be hurt. All Star break

It amazes me why you always want to bash an O's player especially Matt. for

some reason he seems to be your whipping boy. Why not try to support Wieters?

Didn't you know, if there aren't a bunch of threads calling Wieters terrible, and emphasizing that with hyperbolic half-truths, he won't know he's terrible and he won't do anything to stop from being terrible and Duquette will probably try to sign him to a 10/200 deal.

Just trying to provide some balance to the posters who think a .220 hitter who handles a pitching staff with the worst ERA in the majors is somehow irreplaceable or deserving of a multi year extension

And yes I'd like to see a lot more of Taylor Teagarden. He sets a much better low strike target, and I think it is more than a coincidence that he caught Britton's best start yesterday.

I'm not a Wieters-basher, but if he's hurt, get him the hell on the DL and get him healthy again so that he can be a force down the stretch. We don't have great options at backup catcher, but an injured Wieters is no better than Teagarden or Clevenger on the field.

I don't think he is hurt. Feldman and Britton do not hold runners on well. Alot of stolen bases are on the pitcher. I think his average for runners caught stealing will go down as the season progresses. He is what he is. He will have a hot streak either in late July or August. We will then be able to stop this talk and Wieters will come in around his .250,25 homers and 80 RBI's. He was batting .239 on September 1,2012.

Archived