Wieters hasn't thrown out a base stealer since June 13th (batting avg. 174 during that time)

O's are Legends

Adam Jones is a great player. Complaining about him is ridiculous. How many .800 OPS, .290 AVG, 25-30 HR, All Stars center-fielders are there? Yeah you can expect him to get more walks, no argument there, but keep it in perspective. We'd have a AAAA player like Reimold in his place.

Weiters WAR is awesome. I understand the complaints about his offense this year. But the same thing: keep it in perspective. We need a freakin 2B, DH, and more than anything a TOR starter! Don't complain so much about the good players we do have.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam is not just an above average cf. The reason he is so frustrating is that he has awesome talent and that talent won't get realized until he becomes more patient. Matt is Matt. A top 10 catcher but nowhere worth the huge contract that it might take to keep him.

Calling Jones a slightly above average CF'er is like calling Chris Christie slightly overweight.

Not what I said at all. If you read my original post (which was about both Jones and Wieters but for some reason ended up merged into a Wieters-only thread...), you'll see that my contention is that Jones, *when all is said and done* (i.e. at the end of his career) will probably just be a slightly above average CF.

Jones's inability to hit the outside breaking ball has now been picked on by other teams, and he's simply not adjusting. As a result, he'll get more and more breaking balls out of the zone, he'll still chase them and inevitably, you can expect a sharp decline in his numbers not only for the rest of the season, but in subsequent years.

I would absolutely LOVE to be proven wrong and see Adam become a much smarter hitter, but until that happens, I see no reason to project him any better than a slightly above average CF when his baseball days are behind him.

In a way I hope Wieters is hurt. At least then there would be an excuse. He looks so uninspired when he plays lately. Not into it at all. I know he's never been a real demonstrative guy, but it's getting ridiculous. His head doesn't seem to be in the game.

Just trying to provide some balance to the posters who think a .220 hitter who handles a pitching staff with the worst ERA in the majors is somehow irreplaceable or deserving of a multi year extension

And yes I'd like to see a lot more of Taylor Teagarden. He sets a much better low strike target, and I think it is more than a coincidence that he caught Britton's best start yesterday.

Some day I'm going to give you a big sloppy kiss on the cheek! I love truth speakers.

Adam Jones is an immature baseball player. He took two of the worst swings in mlb history over the last two days. Davis would be leading the league in RBI if he was left to bat third. Buck is good for the guys, but once it comes to decision making with the lineup, pen, rotation...he leaves a lot to be desired imo. The best/second best hitter in baseball batting fifth is ridiculous.

Yet there have been studies down that says the 5th batter has more RBI opportunities than any other batting spot in the order and maybe, just maybe, Jones sees more strikes then he normally would with Davis behind him?

In a way I hope Wieters is hurt. At least then there would be an excuse. He looks so uninspired when he plays lately. Not into it at all. I know he's never been a real demonstrative guy, but it's getting ridiculous. His head doesn't seem to be in the game.

Ugggh, there is no way you can make this statement and have it based on anything. His head doesn't seem into the game? He is the catcher - he calls every pitch and is involved in every play. It's not like he is picking dandelions in right field.

I agree with others that say he is playing hurt and should go on the DL for the good of the team - get healthy, come back and bash in August/September.

Wait, I thought this thread was about Matt Wieters?

Anyway, I agree with those who say it's obvious he looks hurt. I'd sit him.

Considering how he's been hitting, the step down to Teagarden on offense isn't that huge. Let him get healthy now instead of aggravating whatever niggle is bothering him down the stretch.

This got me to look up his splits with RISP and he is hitting for a .822 OPS (I dont think that includes todays game though) which is higher than I thought.

Jones is an important player on this team, he was one of the first players to really step up and let this club evolve into a contending team. He did it on the field and off the field and showed faith in the organization when he signed that deal...I don't know if that means anything to anyone else, but it means something to me. His impatient approach just seems to be magnified when the team is losing. He is a free swinger. He knows it, We know it, and worst of all the opposing pitchers know it. But it is what it is...I'm glad he is on the Orioles.

Wieters on the other hand...the more of I see of him, the less I am impressed. I'd prefer him behind the plate rather than most catchers in the league but I still expected more of his bat...he doesn't need to light the world on fire but would an OBP of .300+ be too much to ask? Or an OPS over .700 at that?

One thing about jones, he's clutch despite what some say. He was 10th in wpa last season.

Of Adam Jones' 32 home runs last season, 20 of them either tied the game or gave the Orioles the lead.

GIVEN THE ORIOLES THE LEAD:.16 Home Runs

TIED THE GAME FOR THE TEAM: O4 Home Runs

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.20 Home Runs (Out of 32 Overall)

Very nice. Where'd you find these?

One thing about Adam Jones ...... he's clutch, despite what some say. He was 10th in wpa last season.

Of Adam Jones' 32 home runs last season, 20 of them either tied the game or gave the Orioles the lead.

GIVEN THE ORIOLES THE LEAD:.16 Home Runs

TIED THE GAME FOR THE TEAM: O4 Home Runs

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.20 Home Runs (Out of 32 Overall)

Archived